Phoenix needs a new name

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
Thumper

Re: Why not just Gecko?

Post by Thumper »

keir wrote:Why not just use Gecko?

Why not call it something else which will never get confusing in sentences, such as "browser", "C++" or "a"?

[edit to vote for Swoop yet again]

- Chris
fknoda

My suggestion: Columbus

Post by fknoda »

Hello!

Well, I'm not ashamed to say that I registered for this. But since I didn't find a similar suggestion, here it goes:

Columbus Web Browser

Reasons:
1. One of the most famous Navigators in history.
2. It's easy to remember and associate with the browser/navigator metaphor.
3. It still has the bird theme, because Columbus in Latin means "dove".

I don't know if Blake really wants to keep the lizard theme, but this is the only point the name doesn't cover, as far as I can perceive.

Time for comments now. Thanks for your attention!
ehume

Post by ehume »

Filo.

Trademark search reveals some net-related software, but a browser is not claimed.

It means edge in Spanish, and in English reminds one of the Greek prefix meaning love of something.

Filo.
Kamui

Re: My suggestion: Columbus

Post by Kamui »

fknoda wrote:Hello!

Well, I'm not ashamed to say that I registered for this. But since I didn't find a similar suggestion, here it goes:

Columbus Web Browser

Reasons:
1. One of the most famous Navigators in history.
2. It's easy to remember and associate with the browser/navigator metaphor.
3. It still has the bird theme, because Columbus in Latin means "dove".

I don't know if Blake really wants to keep the lizard theme, but this is the only point the name doesn't cover, as far as I can perceive.

Time for comments now. Thanks for your attention!

Considering that Columbus just found America by chance and ended his life believing he'd found the westward passage to India... I just don't think that would be so great.
Peggy

New Name

Post by Peggy »

My suggestions:

Flashzilla
Firezilla

- that means an especially quick Mozilla. :-)
Grts - Peggy
perlhack

Post by perlhack »

Well, I figured I'd contribute to this thread too; seems everyone else has :-)

My suggestion is Equinox.

A trademark search shows a few computer-related TMs, but nothing specific to browsers. Most equinox.tld domain names are taken (com, org, net etc), but I'm sure we could come up with something creative!

A google search for (+equinox +browser) turned up lots of stuff, but I didn't see any actual browser or related product named equinox. (With my luck, I probably just missed it)

Just a thought...
SnakEyez

Post by SnakEyez »

I have a question for everyone how can someone copyright the name of a city??? The New York Times can't say that because they have the words New York in their name that NO ONE else can use New York in their name. Same goes for sprots teams. If that was the case how would you have the New York Yankees and New York Mets. Technically speaking New York is part of their name but they can't claim ownership of the name New York. So just leave Phoenix the way it is named after the city in Arizona. Honestly I think the biggest problem is companies and their damn trademarks. Honestly things have gotten so ridiculously out of hand that I am suprised K-Mart hasn't sued Wal-Mart for having the -Mart in their name, seriously. Or on similar note to the topic at hand why hasn't a company that installs windows in homes (ex: Somename Windows) sue Microsft for using the name Microsoft Windows. I mean the two companies both have the same start to their name there is no reason if the company started before MS and is trademarked/copyrighted that they can't sue MS. I think there needs to be some changes in the laws (or in general just any laws) regarding copyrights and trademarks on the internet.
seb

Post by seb »

SnakEyez wrote:I have a question for everyone how can someone copyright the name of a city???
Please read the thread before asking things that have been asked many times before...

In short: Phoenix Technologies own a trademark on Phoenix, which trademark is about software stuff. Phoenix Technologies make a (BIOS) browser.
-> Phoenix Technologies have the right to complain about the name of Phoenix-the-browser.
gyo

Post by gyo »

priior wrote:LOL

Vôlgenzæn

who came up with that one?

just made it up as i was typing the message.. it's probably the name of a shoddy open source Swedish Mahjong clone or something ;p
flii

Post by flii »

JessePelton wrote:I know I'm late to the party, but the idea just popped into my head last night. "Scamp" could be an acronym for "standards compliant and multi-platform." (There are probably a thousand other possibilities, but those words came to me before the acronym.)

Merriam-Webster defines "scamp" as "rogue" (first definition) or "an impish or playful young person" (second definition), which somehow feels appropriate. Phoenix is sort of a rogue project within mozilla.org, and I find that the ease of creating and obtaining new look & feel (themes) and functionality (extensions) encourages a playful attitude toward my browser. Suddenly IE (among others) seems downright stodgy.

i thought this was cute. i got it from a diff thread, so i'll post it here because this is where it should be. i don't know if scamp is nongeeky enough or anything, but it's short, easy to pronounce, easy to say, means something.... :-P and heck, it's better than athena.

oh and peggy, the developers do not want any names that end in zilla. this has been verified.
xfranky

Re: My suggestion: Columbus

Post by xfranky »

fknoda wrote:Columbus Web Browser

Well, technically speaking the real name of the navigator was Colombo... but I know this would be true only for Italians...
Btw I think Columbus would be a nice name...
..::XF::..
Peggy

@ Flii

Post by Peggy »

That's a pity - I think that it would be best.
Other thing:

It could begin with Mo .... - but I've got no idea yet.
Grts - Peggy
CeeJay

Firebird

Post by CeeJay »

The Phoenix bird is a bird of fire.
The upcomming mail-cousin of Phoenix is to be named Thunderbird.

Why not rename Phoenix to Firebird ?

The relation to the original Phoenix name is kept and it shows it's relation the Thunderbird mailclient.
Firebird & Thunderbird .. it's sounds good , doesn't it ?
old Neil Parks

Re: Firebird

Post by old Neil Parks »

CeeJay wrote:The Phoenix bird is a bird of fire.
The upcomming mail-cousin of Phoenix is to be named Thunderbird.
Firebird & Thunderbird .. it's sounds good , doesn't it ?

Won't Pontiac and Ford holler about trademark violation? <VBG>

But seriously--I like that.
../frank

Re: Firebird

Post by ../frank »

Neil Parks wrote:Won't Pontiac and Ford holler about trademark violation? <VBG>

But seriously--I like that.

Weirder things have happened. About 10 years ago the Italian firearms manufacturer, Beretta, sued General Motors over the name of the Chevy Beretta. And won. They did it to prove a point and donated the settlement to charity.

I don't think naming a small fast browser after a large American Muscle Car is such a grand idea, but what do I know...
../frank
My avatar cat, Mr. Gary Gray, passed away on 17 Oct 2013. RIP Gary! :cry: