Phoenix needs a new name

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
Thumper

Post by Thumper »

nrm wrote:Swoop. What does this mean?

It sticks with the bird imagery that Phoenix has built up, it's nice and short and easy to remember, it doesn't have anything showing up as far as software troubles go and it isn't a lizard, unpronouncable or a geek in-joke.

Oh, and it doesn't describe the product, which I consider to be amazingly refreshing. nine out of ten of my most used apps directly reference either what they do with some prefix tacked on (SmartFTP, OpenOffice dot org) or have their document type's three letter extension in the title.

Based on that, I sincerely hope Phoenix isn't renamed to Beowulf's HTMLzilla.

- Chris
Last edited by Thumper on December 5th, 2002, 9:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.
nobody2234

Post by nobody2234 »

insaNity wrote:mozillalite would be fine with me - since it continues to be based on mozilla, and people would instantly know what it is at least. *shrug*

If you are still suggesting that, then you obviously havent kept up with the topic. Not gonna happen.

And Flii, I would hope it pleases more then it upsets as a well.

BTW, another vote for Athena. I switched my girlfriend over to Phoenix today, and so far she really likes it. I told her about the name change and how it has to happen, and some of the names people have been throwing around. She really likes Athena, and says she'll see if she can think of anything else.

Athena is the god of wisdom and skill and stuff. Thats good :) Check it out here:

http://homepage.mac.com/cparada/GML/Athena.html

The owl has become a symbol for Athena, as the owl is also a symbol for wisdom. That could make a cool logo.
nobody2234

Post by nobody2234 »

thumperward wrote:I sincerely hope Phoenix isn't renamed to Beowulf's HTMLzilla.

*shudders*
shimage

Post by shimage »

badrad wrote:Athena is the god of wisdom and skill and stuff. Thats good

yeah. she's the goddess of everything good. you'll notice that there is precious little bad about her. funny, since she was also the protecting goddess of the largest city-state in ancient greece. they made sure she was everything good and nothing bad, but first and foremost, she is the warrior goddess (though i suppose they all put in their fair share of fighting). furthermore, i still don't get why a browser should have a name that connotes wisdom anyway. i guess don't see how the two are connected. you <i>browse</i> the web, you don't intellectualize it. hmm... what else don't i like about it... i don't like to anthropomorphize my tools. like, "check out my new hammer, Hephaestos!" that'd be retarded.

yes, we all want the same thing, but as it seems that some want athena to be the new name as much as i'd rather it not be, i think i'll continue to bitch and moan until the new name is picked. seriously, athena is the only name people keep pushing around that i just can't stand at all.
nrm

Post by nrm »

Athena is an ancient GUI widget library under X11 (It is still maintained).

- Nigel.
Nigel McFarlane - Analysis, Programming, Writing.
Just_a_Character

Post by Just_a_Character »

How about "SpeedFire"???
like a pun for the plane "Spitfire"

it goes on well with Phoenix' philosophy and the "fire" connects with the Phoenix as well.
nobody2234

Post by nobody2234 »

shimage wrote:seriously, athena is the only name people keep pushing around that i just can't stand at all.

Hmm. Interesting commentary on Athena! (I mean the protecting the main city stuff, not that you dont like it)

Yea, I know, can't please everyone. And I am not saying Athena has to be the name. I'm just saying, so far, its the best I've heard. If the community / developers choose otherwise, so be it, I wont complain (well, I might. I have my own ones I cant stand, like "newt").
farnush

Why Not Internet Surfer ?

Post by farnush »

Why These Weird names that has nothing to do with the internet ....."Internet Surfer"is an Ideal One
atalaia

Post by atalaia »

"and now to something completely different"® : Trampoline

ah ! fun, light, non-agressive
and non mythology-like
:?
oh well ! scamp will do, for now.
In tartiflette I trust
Focx

Post by Focx »

I just read the suggestion Phox in the other thread... this sounds nice, but then...

why not just use my nickname ;) yeah sure, name the Browser Focx. I don't have a problem with it, focx.org is free, and other then me there is just one musician (not very well known, he never caused me any problems..hehe) named focx, and some optical network equipment.

so, how do you like it? It's pronounced fox.
"Even anywhere, humans are always connected."
- lain
aspenpete

Post by aspenpete »

Spitfire, now thats a keen name

I would like to second that, if noone has seconded it before

aspenP
gyo

Post by gyo »

djnrempel wrote:Thanks for the award. I like yours too. Hey lets start a new thread where we congratulate each other on how great we are.
I wasn't serious about Volksbrowser, I was just inspred by Volgenzaeng and the fact that this is a "browser for the people".

Babelfish tells me Phoenix could also be called Die Beste Datenbanksuchroutine Überhaupt (The Best Browser Ever, in german), but then that doesn't exactly roll off the tongue.. for me anyway

Ooh look isn't my avatar sexy? 8)
djk

My current vote(s)

Post by djk »

Ok, I've read both name threads, and here are my current choices of name (along with my reasoning for not choosing other names in the same 'category'):
  1. Athena -- Easy to say, easy to spell; images of power and wisdom.
    Aries -- This is nice, too. A little harder to get the spelling right.
    Argo -- A unique name which fits with maritime theme. People may not realize that fact, though.
  2. Firebird -- I'm really growing to like this one. Paired with the Thunderbird mail client, this name makes a great deal of sense. It also gives homage to the Phoenix name. The only problem could be with GM... (there's also a sf.net relational database with that name)
  3. Columbus -- Hey, I used to live there. :-) Cool.
    Magellan -- OK, too, I suppose. (though there is the GPS company and a Windows file manager by that name).
kscarr

Post by kscarr »

How about Mercury?

God of Speed... Of course, it is also a car, but at least it is not software related from what I can see.
kscarr

Post by kscarr »

Scratch that. There is a Mercury Software at http://www.mercury-soft.com/ ;-(