MozillaZine

Phoenix needs a new name

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
Intervention
 
Posts: 1
Joined: December 4th, 2002, 8:48 am

Post Posted December 4th, 2002, 8:50 am

I don't know if this has been mentioned already...after all, I didn't read every single post on this thread, but how about Ghidorah? (Drawing from the [God]zilla theme of course)

djst
Moderator

User avatar
 
Posts: 2826
Joined: November 5th, 2002, 1:34 am
Location: Sweden

Post Posted December 4th, 2002, 8:56 am

aengblom wrote:
laszlo wrote:My last suggestion was Mariner, which was also the name for a line of spacecrafts, so here's another one making a good name that stands for the goals of the Phoenix project: Pioneer.


Vote for that here!


<img src="http://www.pioneer.se/images/logo_pioneer.gif">
And you don't think Pioneer would mind? :)

laszlo

User avatar
 
Posts: 5198
Joined: November 4th, 2002, 6:13 pm
Location: .de

Post Posted December 4th, 2002, 9:13 am

djst wrote:
aengblom wrote:
laszlo wrote:My last suggestion was Mariner, which was also the name for a line of spacecrafts, so here's another one making a good name that stands for the goals of the Phoenix project: Pioneer.


Vote for that here!


<img src="http://www.pioneer.se/images/logo_pioneer.gif">
And you don't think Pioneer would mind? :)

There are quite a few companies named "Pioneer" or alike, but to my knowledge none of them makes a software to interpret page-description languages; in other words: there is nothing like a Pioneer browser that could be mistaken for the future former Phoenix. :)

tve
Moderator
 
Posts: 3275
Joined: November 6th, 2002, 12:07 pm
Location: Federal Republic of Germany

Post Posted December 4th, 2002, 9:14 am

djst wrote:
aengblom wrote:
laszlo wrote:My last suggestion was Mariner, which was also the name for a line of spacecrafts, so here's another one making a good name that stands for the goals of the Phoenix project: Pioneer.


Vote for that here!


<img src="http://www.pioneer.se/images/logo_pioneer.gif">
And you don't think Pioneer would mind? :)

how about..

Porsche

:)

"Zion" sounds also cool, what do you thinK?
<i>Latest Firefox Trunk & Thunderbird 1.0</i>

prabhath
 
Posts: 3
Joined: December 4th, 2002, 10:21 am

Post Posted December 4th, 2002, 10:26 am

How about the name QUICKSILVER - it implies speed which is Phoenix's specialty isn't it?

Sorry if someone already suggested this, the f%$#ing search tool for this forum just takes me to the first page of the forum even though it says "1 match found"

seb

User avatar
 
Posts: 1578
Joined: November 4th, 2002, 11:26 pm
Location: Paris, France

Post Posted December 4th, 2002, 10:52 am

prabhath wrote:Sorry if someone already suggested this, the f%$#ing search tool for this forum just takes me to the first page of the forum even though it says "1 match found"
That's why there is an option to show only links to posts and not to threads.

Bananaman
 
Posts: 1
Joined: December 4th, 2002, 10:56 am

Post Posted December 4th, 2002, 11:00 am

How about Fawkes?
Its the name of the phoenix in the somewhat well known Harry Potter series. It also gives us a bit of an old fashioned hacker joke as the Phoenix code diverges from the main trunk.

prabhath
 
Posts: 3
Joined: December 4th, 2002, 10:21 am

Post Posted December 4th, 2002, 11:24 am

Netsabes wrote:
prabhath wrote:Sorry if someone already suggested this, the f%$#ing search tool for this forum just takes me to the first page of the forum even though it says "1 match found"
That's why there is an option to show only links to posts and not to threads.

Ah, that's why. That should be a default option or something, why would I want to list the whole thread anyways?

I checked again and apparently the name's been suggested.. oops. But I still think it'd be a cool name.

../frank

User avatar
 
Posts: 316
Joined: November 5th, 2002, 7:22 am
Location: Houston, TX

Post Posted December 4th, 2002, 12:00 pm

I've been away from the forum for a week or so. Waded through 25 pages. Still haven't seen anything as good as the original name for this browser. Of those that have been submitted I'm partial to <b>px</b>.

Gonna crawl back under my rock and take a little nap.
../frank
My avatar cat, Mr. Gary Gray, passed away on 17 Oct 2013. RIP Gary! :cry:

Autark

User avatar
 
Posts: 112
Joined: November 8th, 2002, 12:39 am

Post Posted December 4th, 2002, 12:26 pm

../frank wrote:... Still haven't seen anything as good as the original name for this browser. Of those that have been submitted I'm partial to <b>px</b>.

I agree, especially with capital letters: <strong>PX</strong>.

I think "PX" was used quite frequently in this forum even before the name change came up.

Franck
 
Posts: 54
Joined: November 5th, 2002, 11:56 am

Post Posted December 4th, 2002, 12:42 pm

PX sounds nice,
why not Zebulon ?

gyo
 
Posts: 21
Joined: November 14th, 2002, 1:12 pm

Post Posted December 4th, 2002, 12:44 pm

No offense is meant by this post, and I know a lot of you realise this already, but it seems to me that Phoenix is the first Mozilla-based browser that really stands a chance of getting adopted by Real People (as opposed to us geeky tech people who try every half-baked open source app in existence.)
Because it's so newbie-friendly, I'd really really really hate to see it get renamed to something incredibly geeky and esoteric, such as Leetnix, WVX3, Mozillionairo, Vôlgenzæn or what-have-you. Unfortunately, what makes these names attractive to developers (uniqueness, difficulty in comprehension, 1337ness, whatever it is, that is exactly the kind of 'vibes' which will stop the average person from even trying the product, or remembering its name for more than two seconds. I do not want to have to SPELL the name of the browser when i recommend someone use it. I don't care what the name actually ends up being, (tho my vote so far is for Firebird)... just please make it easy to pronounce, obvious spelling, and have at least somewhat relevant web-connotations for Joe Six-Pack. I think Firebird meets all these requirements, and I suspect it would be quite a while before GM notices the trademark conflict, if they ever did and or cared.

just my 2¢

-gyo

David James

User avatar
 
Posts: 1321
Joined: November 4th, 2002, 10:19 pm
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Post Posted December 4th, 2002, 12:49 pm

Bananaman wrote:How about Fawkes?
Its the name of the phoenix in the somewhat well known Harry Potter series. It also gives us a bit of an old fashioned hacker joke as the Phoenix code diverges from the main trunk.


There's a good plan... let's name a webbrowser after someone who tried to blow up the British Houses of Parliament but was caught and executed.
Pinball-Firefox maintainer.
http://david.jamesnet.ca/
Debian Sid, KDE 3.3

djst
Moderator

User avatar
 
Posts: 2826
Joined: November 5th, 2002, 1:34 am
Location: Sweden

Post Posted December 4th, 2002, 1:10 pm

gyo wrote:No offense is meant by this post, and I know a lot of you realise this already, but it seems to me that Phoenix is the first Mozilla-based browser that really stands a chance of getting adopted by Real People (as opposed to us geeky tech people who try every half-baked open source app in existence.)
Because it's so newbie-friendly, I'd really really really hate to see it get renamed to something incredibly geeky and esoteric, such as Leetnix, WVX3, Mozillionairo, Vôlgenzæn or what-have-you. Unfortunately, what makes these names attractive to developers (uniqueness, difficulty in comprehension, 1337ness, whatever it is, that is exactly the kind of 'vibes' which will stop the average person from even trying the product, or remembering its name for more than two seconds. I do not want to have to SPELL the name of the browser when i recommend someone use it. I don't care what the name actually ends up being, (tho my vote so far is for Firebird)... just please make it easy to pronounce, obvious spelling, and have at least somewhat relevant web-connotations for Joe Six-Pack. I think Firebird meets all these requirements, and I suspect it would be quite a while before GM notices the trademark conflict, if they ever did and or cared.

just my 2¢

-gyo


I could not agree more.

priior

User avatar
 
Posts: 374
Joined: November 10th, 2002, 3:45 pm
Location: montreal

Post Posted December 4th, 2002, 1:16 pm

LOL

Vôlgenzæn

who came up with that one?

lol

Return to Firefox General


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], indigo and 3 guests