Thaiware/Silkspan Web Page appears when opening Phoenix

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
rollind

Thaiware/Silkspan Web Page appears when opening Phoenix

Post by rollind »

Although I have set my homepage in preferences to CNN.com, everytime I open Phoenix 0.5 I get this damn spam web page from Thaiware for Silkspan. I have tried disabling cookies, java, javascript, editiing the prefs.js file, clearing the cache. My cookie manager is presently set to prevent this site from setting a cookie but even then I get this stupid page when I startup.

Can anyone offer me a clue as to what I need to do to stop this from happening? I have searched my whole system, registry included for the url but can't find it anywhere.

This is at least as annoying as those goofy web pop ups that the spam low-lifes are starting to use.

Any help much appreciated.
Rollin
pryan

Post by pryan »

I don't get any pop-ups when visiting CNN.com with Phoenix 0.5 (Xft enabled under Linux) on either Windows XP Pro or Debian GNU/Linux sid. I am assuming you are running under Windows, but if not, ignore the next paragraph.

Are you sure it is Phoenix that is generating the pop-up and not some locally installed "helper" program that is observing you visiting CNN.com? You might want to check for programs like Gator, Bonzi Buddy, etc. I am not sure which ones will do this, but I do know they are out there.
rollind

Not a popup

Post by rollind »

The web page in question doesn't open as a popup. I have all popups disabled. It opens instead of the homepage I have identified in preferences.

Yes, I am running Windows XP and there seems to be no conventional way to rid my sytem of this scumware nuisance.

Thank for your reply.
Rollin
Thumper

Post by Thumper »

Sorry if you've already done it, but have you run Ad-Aware on your system yet?

Definitely sounds like spyware to me. Try running Ad-Aware and seeing what it comes up with.

- Chris