Reader Mode - how it works and how to design for it

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
mgagnonlv

Reader Mode - how it works and how to design for it

Post by mgagnonlv »

Hello,

I have seen the new feature, "Reader Mode", and I see in Classic Theme Restorer that a "Pocket" mode will come soon (v. 40, I think). I have seen the book icon on some pages, have clicked on it and have mixed feelings about that. Apart from using the web, I also design websites and see that some pages (not all) have the "book" and don't exactly show the main text. So my questions:

1. Where is the "reader-mode" page prepared?
Is the trimmed-down de-cluttered page prepared on Mozilla servers or is it treated locally by my browser?

2. How do I design a website that correctly takes advantage of the "Reader" functions?
The Reader Mode must show content between tags X and not what is between tags Y, for example. Is there a reference page somewhere on the Mozilla website – or elsewhere – describing it?
I haven't done anything specific; yet on one of my websites, I see that the home page isn't available in the Reader Mode, but most others are. And in the pages that are available, I would say that the content is 80-90% correct.

3. Is it similar to Safari and Firefox-for-Android Reader mode?
In other words, would a design made for the Reader mode in FireFox for Windows display the same way in Firefox for Android on in Safari?

Thanks
Michel Gagnon
Montréal (Québec, Canada)
LoudNoise

Re: Reader Mode - how it works and how to design for it

Post by LoudNoise »

Moving to Firefox General since this is an existing feature. More people are likely to see it too.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

This is the closest I could find... I don't see any documentation about specifics of what it does or recommendations of how to make sites compatible with it.
https://wiki.mozilla.org/QA/Reader_view

Not that I would worry too much about it... the chances are pretty high that Mozilla considers this "finished" and will never update it again so it will always be kind of broken. Seems to be their MO for new features over the last few years.

Edit: found this... appears to be mockups for a Reader Mode tutorial... so maybe those will be published one day:
http://people.mozilla.org/~mmaslaney/re ... index.html
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

I would suspect the interns involved will go forth to better things. If, from some sort of miracle, it does get published it will likely not be updated.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
mgagnonlv

Post by mgagnonlv »

Thanks. I read some of the links Patrick provided above. Still not sure how it would help a user to usefully browse a website. Two observations so far:

– I *think* reader-mode pages are prepared in the browser, not via a third-party website. If that's the case, that's good.

– There is one function I don't like: it seems there is a way to save reader-mode pages for future reading. I don't see any real problem with the current websites I develop, but I have seen the reader-mode icon on a few secure pages. I see potential security issues if a sensitive document like a bank statement is automatically viewed in reader mode, saved and viewed later by another person.
Michel Gagnon
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

mgagnonlv wrote: I see potential security issues if a sensitive document like a bank statement is automatically viewed in reader mode, saved and viewed later by another person.

I wouldn't worry about it, this feature will wither on the vine like Tab Candy did.

Apart from that, that issue already exists - if a user using 'Show my pages from last time' and then closes the browser with their bank statement page showing. Users have to take some responsibility for their actions, as it is a browser not their Mother. Especially true when a browser cannot differentiate between a harmless https page and a 'sensitive' one.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
mgagnonlv

Post by mgagnonlv »

Maybe I worry for nothing.
Michel Gagnon
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

mgagnonlv wrote:Maybe I worry for nothing.

Regarding this feature, probably.

Generally though with Mozilla worrying/concern is a very good thing, as they are always up to some ill-thought out action with their inevitable 'Wow! we never saw that one coming!' sticking plaster fixes later on.

For example, this one is worth worrying about for most people - http://www.ghacks.net/2015/05/15/mozill ... -tab-page/
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)