New tab

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
asmodee666

New tab

Post by asmodee666 »

I hate not being in control of new tabs. I HATE random useless things showing up. I used to be able to go to some cryptic, idiotic settings to set what I wanted to happen, but now, of course, that no longer works. Can we just put the choice in the "Options" already like normal people? A checkbox would do. "When you open a new tab do you want to a) open your home page, b) open a blank page, c) open a stupid page with all the random crap you've been searching lately". It's stupid that this simple configuration feature isn't available right there where you set your home page. And if the old way was a problem because hijackers took it over maybe that should have been a sign that normal people may want to change this and normal people could not find it. It's ridiculous to have such a simple, basic feature require cryptic "under-the-hood" knowledge or an addon.
LIMPET235

Re: New tab

Post by LIMPET235 »

Hi,
Nope.
There's nothing that "we" can do about what goes in/on in Firefox & what "they" decide to remove or change.
"We" are just a user-to-user help site.

If you need to complain, go to...
Help > Submit Feedback & yell at "them"....Not that "they'll" take much/any notice.

Moving this to Firefox General...
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

2 Desktops--Win 7 Ult.SP1 x64/6GB RAM /Firefox 52.9ESR/Waterfox64 2022.11/Thunderbird 52.9ESR/BitWarden PW Manager/Verizon FIOS wired network
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

In Ubuntu and Mint the browser. newtab.url can still be set to about:blank and also the url in Classic theme restorer can be changed with no ill effect.
You can also block the about:newtab.js mechanism with NoScript as it should give the warning of about:newtab as being untrusted.
Tried it both ways by allowing and then blocking or forbidding it. There's a number of items in about:config which might help disable it.

Side note: normal placement of search xml files are still available for removal in Ubuntu but both Mint and Fedora have hidden them (believe this is from Mozilla not the distributions).
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
Roderunner

Post by Roderunner »

On my Laptop, I have Firefox latest version installed and can still have my home page 'Google' displayed on clicking 'Newtab' + button.
I'm also using latest version of Firefox Portable but cant get it to open my home page.
Still to test FF on my Desktop PC.
Regards
George
greybeard2012

Post by greybeard2012 »

See this thread for some more useful info on how to help deal with the unwanted new tab FF features:-

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2965733
fridolph

Post by fridolph »

Unfortunately, FF users don't have option as that. However, FF new version is good compare to previous FF.