npdsplay error

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
waxthatass

Post by waxthatass »

I would like to announce that my streaming problems are now over. nothing previously mentioned worked as i didnt have my windows cd anywhere that i could find.

so anyways i downloaded windows media player 11 and now everything is fixed but i did have the windows media player files deleted except for a couple dll ones. also the windows media player plugin also works for opera if you put in the 3 needed files npdsplay.dll npds.zip and npdsdrm.dll(i think thats what its called something with drm) all 3 found in windows media player folder.

i can finally see streaming music videos on peoples myspaces again.
eroosa

Upgrade issues!

Post by eroosa »

I was getting the display error codes mentioned here before. I got that to stop so I can watch a video clip now (most of the time). Now I still can not open up parts of sites. For example I go to ebay no problem, but if I click on an item to see it and the details of it, bid etc.. I click on it, it runs and runs like it is trying to open it and then says "done" on the bottom with out ever opening or transferring the data. This happened immediately AFTER I updated Mozilla. If there is no easy fix, is there a way to go back to the older version of Mozilla? I had no problem with that version. I am not super computer savvy so I hope someone can help me out.

Thanks,

Ed
NJD

Post by NJD »

I upgraded to WMP 11 and my sound stopped working. Even after a restart. When I tried to watch TV in Media Center it said that my sound card could not be found. I rolled back WMP 11 to WMP 10 and the sound and everything went back to normal....except now I couldn't watch any videos in Firefox. I read every post in this thread and tried almost everything. I tried to uninstall WMP but there isn't a WMP option in Add/Remove Programs. It just lists a whole bunch of Secuirty Updates and Hotfixes. I can't believe I'm being forced to use IE to stream videos...
Vectorspace

Post by Vectorspace »

You should really have started your own thread, but...

The process of moving to WMP11 and back probably deleted the plugin files. Instructions on how to restore them are here: http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=206213 - the "Restoring the Windows Media Player plugin" section.
"All things being equal, the simplest answer is usually the correct one" - Occam's Razor
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:5.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/5.0
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:5.0) Gecko/20110624 Thunderbird/5.0
NJD

Post by NJD »

Vectorspace wrote:You should really have started your own thread, but...

The process of moving to WMP11 and back probably deleted the plugin files. Instructions on how to restore them are here: http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=206213 - the "Restoring the Windows Media Player plugin" section.

Sorry about that.

I downloaded the plugins and put them in the folder but I'm still getting the npdsplay error.
Vectorspace

Post by Vectorspace »

You didn't say you were getting an npdsplay.dll error - your description made it sound like a missing plug-in thing.

The only known solutions to this involve wiping WMP completely and reinstalling it.
"All things being equal, the simplest answer is usually the correct one" - Occam's Razor
NJD

Post by NJD »

Vectorspace wrote:You didn't say you were getting an npdsplay.dll error - your description made it sound like a missing plug-in thing.

The only known solutions to this involve wiping WMP completely and reinstalling it.

Yea, about that....When I go to add/remove programs there are only Hotfixes and Security Updates for WMP. Do I remove them all? There isn't just WMP.
Vectorspace

Post by Vectorspace »

Read the first page of the thread: the first person to fix it booted in safe mode so he could manually delete the WMP folder, and then reinstalled it.
reeper

Post by reeper »

Vectorspace wrote:You didn't say you were getting an npdsplay.dll error - your description made it sound like a missing plug-in thing.

Is this the likely solution even if I am not getting any error message at all? Windows media just does not play for me in Firefox after installing WMP 11. I get no error messages, just no video. Is the solution on the first page of this thread highly specific for that dll error message? I've replaced the plug-ins as well as reinstalled WMP11. I've not yet tried fully un-installing and/or rolling back to WMP10 yet.
Vectorspace

Post by Vectorspace »

If you are not getting an error message then you have a different problem, and should have started a new thread.

Load this page: http://members.aol.com/jrzycrim01/mozil ... st-HS.html
What happens?
Does the player load?
What does the player status bar say?
reeper

Post by reeper »

Vectorspace wrote:If you are not getting an error message then you have a different problem, and should have started a new thread.

Load this page: http://members.aol.com/jrzycrim01/mozil ... st-HS.html
What happens?
Does the player load?
What does the player status bar say?

Nope. No player. Same thing happens if the plugin is set to open the link in an external player. It never fires off.

I didn't want to start a new thread until I confirmed that this isn't the same problem but I will now.
Vectorspace

Post by Vectorspace »

Sorry - computer failure had me offline for 2 weeks.

What extensions do you have?
revelated

The problem is indeed with WMP

Post by revelated »

I had WMP9, never had upgraded, on WXP. Recently I downloaded Kaspersky as I was running into an issue where, shortly after booting, nothing would run. I would click shortcuts and I would get errors saying it could not launch them. I had to "crash" Explorer and re-open it to fix but eventually it would keep doing it. So I tried Kaspersky, and it found over 100 virus files, all related to one virus which apparently rewrites system files. I'm guessing it got to WMP files too. What's funny is that some of these files were inside some of my System Restores during a time when I had Windows OneCare running, and OneCare didn't peep a word about it.

So I let Kaspersky do its thing and clean my old guzzler up, and I was getting the DirectShow errors. Just for kicks, I tried to upgrade (couldn't go to WMP11 due to Genuine Advantage nonsense), upgraded to WMP10 and the problem is solved.

Anyway I recommend if none of the above work, try running Kaspersky on a full scan and THEN reinstall WMP. You don't even need to uninstall first, just upgrade it to the next version or do a repair from the EXE file.
FidgetyMo

Post by FidgetyMo »

update:
for the "npdsplay: Can not create DirectShow Player." error:

something to consider: you have messed up your UXtheme.dll hack,

(for those that have tried to unlock themes by downloading hacked uxtheme.dll and misinstalled or installed versions that are not for your SPECIFIC operating system.. make SURE the hacked version you download matches the version numbers of your current uxtheme.dll's),

you may encounter the above npdsplay error as well as a "Run-time error '429': ActiveX component can't create object" error if you try to run specifically coded activex programs.. (ccleaner as an example).

you may also encounter errors with programs being unable to find "uxtheme.dll" and therefore wont start, such as windows media player, microsoft office, and certain instances of explorer.exe when opened by other programs.

the fix:
1. replace all instances of your original uxtheme.dll's
(ie: in windows xp x64 you have uxtheme.dll in ..\system32\ (apprx 495kb) but there is a smaller and different version of uxtheme.dll in ..\sysWOW64. (apprx 210kb). )

OR

2. download the APPROPRIATE version number for your OS-type of the hacked uxtheme.dll (or uxtheme.dll's depending on OS type), boot into safe mode.. RENAME each instance of uxtheme.dll to uxtheme.bak BEFORE copying the hacked .dll into the folder.

---------------

hopefully this will help some people who happened to have these errors... as did i.. and it fixed them :)

---------------

here is another problem i see people have been having as well:

for those who are having problems with windows media player firefox plugin staying stuck at ready, even after pressing play, and the error details revealed wmp could not connect to the internet....

well, just as in internet explorer, open up windows media player itself and in the file menu, make sure "work offline" isn't checked. wink.gif
Fusion_Delta

Post by Fusion_Delta »

Just read through this thread and decided to register and let you know that I defeated the error by downloading some registry cleaning program called registry booster. It says that it fixes npdsplay.dll errors here is the site http://www.liutilities.com/products/win ... /npdsplay/

I downloaded it and it worked for me, I can now view WMP streams through firefox. Hope this helps you.

Jesse.