Fx Development and Democracy

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
joeg
Location: How can you be in two places at once, when you're not anywhere at all?

Fx Development and Democracy

Post by joeg »

This is probably not the right place for this post, but I looked through all of mozillaZine and didn't find a forum that really fits.

Over the years there have been lots of comments on the Builds forum about the Mozilla devs' apparent lack of interest in comments from the peanut gallery regarding changes to Fx. Some recent research indicates that this attitude is not the sole domain of the Moz mafia.

I thought some of you might find it interesting.
https://www.uoc.edu/portal/en/uoc-news/ ... liure.html

Please excuse me if I was wrong.

P.S. Some sections of the text are a bit hard to decipher, but I have the impression that the author is not a native speaker of English. Having said this, I wish I could write Spanish as well as he writes English. :cry:
Although every day is Judgment Day, I nonetheless feel like a room without a roof.
the-edmeister

Re: Fx Development and Democracy

Post by the-edmeister »

Firefox development is a meritocracy, not a democracy.

A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
ashleylai87

Post by ashleylai87 »

the-edmeister wrote:Firefox development is a meritocracy, not a democracy.
Firefox development is an autocracy, not a meritocracy.

Reason, people with ability to code is not valued. Currently, as if the 'marketing and branding' division is determining the direction of how and where Mozilla must move instead of PEOPLE who ACTUALLY USE the browser

Seriously? First, chrome look-alike. Second, web-extension (xul deprecation). Third, full ads on start page idea? Fourth, remember the palemoon forum warning by mozilla? Fifth, POCKET? Sixth, HELLO?
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Michael Corleone wrote: If anything in this life is certain, if history has taught us anything, it is that you can kill anyone.
History should also have taught you that those in power never voluntarily relinquish it. To so do defies omnipotence and is an admission that others may have played a part in their greatness.

The ways of the world go back an awfully long time and don't change.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

Looks like a good thread to drop this information about the new Firefox Product Manager.

My New Role @ Mozilla | Asa Dotzler
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5
joeg
Location: How can you be in two places at once, when you're not anywhere at all?

Post by joeg »

the-edmeister wrote:Firefox development is a meritocracy, not a democracy.
I quote the relevant Mozilla page (https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/about/governance/):
Mozilla wrote:"Our community is structured as a virtual organization where authority is distributed to both volunteer and employed community members as they show their abilities through contributions to the project."
Implicit in the Mozilla statement is, logically, that the assessment of people's "... abilities through contributions to the project" is solely made by the insiders.

They, as experience has shown, have already carved the changes they want made to Fx in granite. Furthermore, having obviously convinced each other of their abilities, the deal is done.

I hate to sound like I've abandoned all hope, but my tendency is to view Frank Lion's comment as being right on the money.
Although every day is Judgment Day, I nonetheless feel like a room without a roof.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

Jeez where have they been hiding Neckbeard, St Helena, Klown Kollege or the Mozilla equivalent equivalent of The Hole ! ?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hole_ ... ntology%29

@ Governance
https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/about/governance/
Ultimate Decision-Makers
Brendan Eich has the final say in any technical dispute and Mitchell Baker has the final say in any non-technical dispute. This has been the case since 1998 for Brendan and 1999 for Mitchell.
](*,)
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

Frank Lion wrote:Hmm...

Just shows how out of touch Mozilla is when they give a job like that to someone who is despised by a fair number of people in the "community".
He must really know where the bodies are buried :-k
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
therube

Post by therube »

He must really know where the bodies are buried :-k
LOL.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Scarlettrunner20

Post by Scarlettrunner20 »

WLS wrote:Looks like a good thread to drop this information about the new Firefox Product Manager.

What the H%@#. That is the final nail in Firefox's coffin.
Last edited by LIMPET235 on May 28th, 2016, 5:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Slight rephrasing of the terminology.
AlfonsoML

Post by AlfonsoML »

You must read that post with the voice of a psychopath
After a couple of years working on Mozilla’s mobile operating system project, I’m coming back to Firefox!
I’m over the moon excited about this role. Stay tuned. It’s gonna be great.
(diabolic laughter...)

So now that Mozilla OS is officially dead, he's coming back to kill whatever is left of Firefox. yeah, it's gonna be great.
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

AlfonsoML wrote: So now that Mozilla OS is officially dead, he's coming back to kill whatever is left of Firefox. yeah, it's gonna be great.
Yep, back to the Firefox destruction he oversaw prior to the OS, and lets not forget his leadership of the $25 phone debacle.

@Oh! This was real smart..
"Enterprise has never been--and I'll argue, shouldn't be--a focus of ours,"
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
therube

Post by therube »

Enterprise has never been--and I'll argue, shouldn't be--a focus of ours
And its still that way.
(For a long time now, I haven't understood just what their focus is on? Unfortunately, I bet they don't know either.)
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript