Is Firefox-patch.js malware or a scam?

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
vrm3

Is Firefox-patch.js malware or a scam?

Post by vrm3 »

I keep encountering this several times a week. I refuse to save it because everything about it says scam! Has anyone else encountered this? (You can click on these images for a closer look since they are screencaptures, not links to the offending software.)

BE VERY CAREFUL! This was the link from which this came today: https elaetbucketexplorer.net/2611165872551/5efa0974e36b7cf94f6b4502c435a7e2.html

Any insight or advice will be appreciated!

Thanks!
Last edited by LIMPET235 on August 30th, 2016, 3:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Killed the link.
JayhawksRock

Re: Is Firefox-patch.js malware or a scam?

Post by JayhawksRock »

Malware or worse .... been around for some time
See > https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1132012
And there are hundreds more reports at Mozilla Support
Like https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1092693
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine" ...Abraham Lincoln
vrm3

Post by vrm3 »

Thanks very much! I added "elaetbucketexplorer.net" to my list of blacklisted sites, but suspect I will see more instances of it. For some reason it seems to pop up after I have been on the Drudge Report site (http://www.drudgereport.com/) checking out the many links which appear on that site.
James

Post by James »

vrm3 wrote:I keep encountering this several times a week. I refuse to save it because everything about it says scam! Has anyone else encountered this? (You can click on these images for a closer look since they are screencaptures, not links to the offending software.)

BE VERY CAREFUL! This was the link from which this came today: https://elaetbucketexplorer.net/2611165 ... 5a7e2.html
vrm3 wrote:Thanks very much! I added "elaetbucketexplorer.net" to my list of blacklisted sites, but suspect I will see more instances of it.
Both. This particular fake Firefox patch malware scam is targeting Firefox users on Windows and has been going on for over three months now. No point blocking one of these sites since they are basically disposable sites in being used for a day. Not everybody gets this but once people get it they seem to have a good chance of getting it again.

People say using a adblocking extensions like ublock origin or Adblock can help block these ads.

No worry about the link since only the original person was able to view it which makes it harder for Mozilla and others to narrow things down to deal with the malicious Ads.

This more recent fake update scam was initially with a firefpx-patch.exe but they kept making new ones perhaps because it was getting blocked or flagged in different ways so they switched to the firefox-patch.js since July 11.

These guys are even targeting Chrome users on Windows with fake updates also. I say same person or group because they are using the same disposable sites reportedly used for the fake urgent Firefox updates. One thread example is https://productforums.google.com/forum/ ... cXgFFaO9WU

JayhawksRock wrote:And there are hundreds more reports at Mozilla Support
Like https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1092693
That was a different one and was less elaborate on how it was being done with the sites. However it was more dangerous if a Windows user were to run it since it reportedly installed Cryptolocker.
vrm3

Post by vrm3 »

Persistent little bastards! Eternal vigilance is the price of security.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

you should use a descent adblocker like ublock with several block lists.
Davebuntu

Post by Davebuntu »

That's just scary.
No Signature
therube

Post by therube »

Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
jwahaus

Post by jwahaus »

I've been getting this a lot lately. I've noticed it happening after visiting sites like infowars.com, drudgereport.com, and breitbart.com. I would guess these sites are being targeted using the ad feeds they make money from by including them on their web pages.

I'm sure it is not a coincidence that news sites that tell the truth and oppose the government sponsored propaganda sites (e.g. MSNBC, CNN, ...) are all being targeted with this MALWARE. It could just be that they all use the same ad-feeds.
tlewis5806

Post by tlewis5806 »

I did download it, stupid of me. However, i use in safemode. It done download and run and they got in CMD and run it and then they reboot it. and im still in safemode and have not see pop up yet. Please help me to fix this to remove the mareware. Thanks!
fredz743

Post by fredz743 »

jwahaus wrote:I've been getting this a lot lately. I've noticed it happening after visiting sites like infowars.com, drudgereport.com, and breitbart.com. I would guess these sites are being targeted using the ad feeds they make money from by including them on their web pages.

I'm sure it is not a coincidence that news sites that tell the truth and oppose the government sponsored propaganda sites (e.g. MSNBC, CNN, ...) are all being targeted with this MALWARE. It could just be that they all use the same ad-feeds.
I get it when browsing ebay, so that shoots the theory that they are targeting the (non) truth propaganda sites that you frequent. I'm sure that the only propaganda coming nowadays are from the administration. Bowling Green Massacre, Sweden terrorist attack, etc.
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

fredz743 wrote:I get it when browsing ebay, so that shoots the theory that they are targeting the (non) truth propaganda sites that you frequent. I'm sure that the only propaganda coming nowadays are from the administration. Bowling Green Massacre, Sweden terrorist attack, etc.
Hi fredz743,
While I don't disagree with you, please keep politics out of the support areas of this forum. If you want to discuss politics, we do have our MozillaZine AfterDark forum.
Thanks
fredz743

Post by fredz743 »

Daifne wrote:
fredz743 wrote:I get it when browsing ebay, so that shoots the theory that they are targeting the (non) truth propaganda sites that you frequent. I'm sure that the only propaganda coming nowadays are from the administration. Bowling Green Massacre, Sweden terrorist attack, etc.
Hi fredz743,
While I don't disagree with you, please keep politics out of the support areas of this forum. If you want to discuss politics, we do have our MozillaZine AfterDark forum.
Thanks
Thank you. I couldn't help replying to the comment that I quoted in my reply, as it seems that we see politics in many internet posts when that has nothing to do with the subject. I'll try to do better in the future. :-)
James

Post by James »

Yahoo pages seems to be a common place some Firefox users on Windows can get this.
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

fredz743 wrote:Thank you. I couldn't help replying to the comment that I quoted in my reply, as it seems that we see politics in many internet posts when that has nothing to do with the subject. I'll try to do better in the future. :-)
I do understand. It is everywhere. We try to keep it well segregated here, and are succeeding. Thanks. ;-)