This browser is troublesome

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
Alice0775

This browser is troublesome

Post by Alice0775 »

Each time Firefox is updated, there are some regression.
The best way is to use the Chrome.
Grumpus

Re: This browser is troublesome

Post by Grumpus »

Firefox is changing, either for the good or the not so good.
For a couple of years now users have been warned of these changes and problems with extensions and other features.
Promoting Chrome as alternative is somewhat suspect since no real problem is mentioned or no feature of Firefox which causes the disappointment mentioned.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
Alice0775

Post by Alice0775 »

Each time Firefox is updated, there are some regression.

For example. It
works on Firedfox49.0.1, but not work on Firefox49.0.2...
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1311928
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1311975

works on Firedfox48.0.2, but not work on Firefox49.0.0...
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1305135

Every time update, regression & regression & regression & regression & regression & regression & regression....
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

Alice0775 wrote:Each time Firefox is updated, there are some regression.

Sure seems that way.
The only reason I run Betas is to get advance warning of what's going down the tubes next.
Grumpus wrote: no real problem is mentioned or no feature of Firefox which causes the disappointment mentioned.
](*,)
Jeez, you're joking or high on Moz-Aid right?
Have you ever bothered to check out Alice's considerable contributions to the 'community Mozilla has forgotten' at Builds ?
How about the number of bugs filed or Extensions created to restore features removed or broken by by the Mozidiots ?
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... alice0775/
http://forums.mozillazine.org/search.ph ... _id=298481
Maybe you should eat crow on your personal AD food blog?
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

@Mightyglyyd - you know how it is, one bad post and it's baby out with the bathwater.
IMO it's still a Chrome advert, contributions aside. Besides I'm not missing flash in the least and it's still an insecure steaming pile.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
FFman

Post by FFman »

I have been using Firefox since Nov. 2007 (ver.2.0.0.9) since it allowed me to customize the layout just as I wanted. Then I used Classic Theme Restorer which made it even better for me.
However, over the past several months I have found it very slow especially when starting up (currently on version 49.0.2).
Someone mentioned Pale Moon and I gave it a go.
I have customized the layout so that it looks virtually identical to my Firefox setup but is super quick in comparison.
It accepts many of the Firefox add-ons so I have the same add-ons as I had in Firefox except CTR (which I don't need for PM).
FWIW:(I don't have a powerful PC!)
Firefox time from clicking desktop shortcut to homepage appearing = 32 secs.
Pale Moon = 7 secs.
Needless to say, I'm sticking with Pale Moon, at least for now.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

You must have something wrong with your Firefox profile. I just checked my installation of Firefox 49.0.1 with three windows opening with 10 tabs between them and it took only 8 seconds. You'll have to create new, unmodified profiles for both browser and test them in that environment if you really want a valid comparison.
FFman

Post by FFman »

Thanks DanRaisch. How do I create an unmodified profile? I haven't manually modified anything.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

I haven't manually modified anything.
Yeah, you have, if you've installed extensions, changed any settings under Firefox->Preferences, etc.

See this article for information on creating a new profile http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_Manager
FFman

Post by FFman »

I see. I'll have a look when I return to my desktop, thanks.
Mouse5

Post by Mouse5 »

The best way is to use the Chrome.
didnt think i'd see the day when Alice states people should use Chrome due to firefox being Troublesome . you'll get the same amount of problems with Chrome.

maybe Kerz should dump this forum an just call it forums.chrome-a-zone.org/ forum

but apart from that , Video isnt Great for me in firefox. most of the time i have to use Chrome

https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archive ... NHQ4MPRUL/ ( Proposal for adding Chrome to software available in GNOME Software )
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Much as I respect Alice and her huge contribution for the benefit of Firefox users over the years....

... 'This browser is troublesome' - Err, just how much more writing on the wall from Firefox 29 (Australis) onwards do people really need to know that? Just what more do Mozilla have to do to convince people of where Firefox is going, whack them upside the head with a 2 x 4?

'This browser (Firefox) is troublesome' - Yeah and does a bear crap in the woods?

Guess what I've used for over 2 years now? You seen me ever complain?
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Mouse5

Post by Mouse5 »

Frank Lion wrote:Much as I respect Alice and her huge contribution for the benefit of Firefox users over the years....

... 'This browser is troublesome' - Err, just how much more writing on the wall from Firefox 29 (Australis) onwards do people really need to know that? Just what more do Mozilla have to do to convince people of where Firefox is going, whack them upside the head with a 2 x 4?

'This browser (Firefox) is troublesome' - Yeah and does a bear crap in the woods?

Guess what I've used for over 2 years now? You seen me ever complain?
i dont have a problem with Australis as such, but Video in Firefox is Crappy kinda, its either choppy or stutters . but there's no such thing as a perfect browser. but i do think Mozilla should have just written a complete new Browser with Servo in it. they had to start somewhere with Firefox/Gecko
Drumbrake

Post by Drumbrake »

Agree. And also some new crazy "features" that no one ever asked for, no one will be using anyways, and they will eventually end up removing - after a lot of wasted time and effort that could have been better spent somewhere else, where it could have made a difference for the better.
Alice0775 wrote:The best way is to use the Chrome.
Disagree. Actually, knowing how much you have contributed to Firefox so far, I read that as a kind of joke.

Still, they really have managed over the years to alienate lots of users and lose a lot of market share, effectively dissipating something that had been built in the previous years gaining user's confidence and appreciation for something that just worked, was so customizable that you can't even know where it ended, and respected people's privacy first and foremost.
Why, one should ask.
FFman

Post by FFman »

DanRaisch wrote:You must have something wrong with your Firefox profile. I just checked my installation of Firefox 49.0.1 with three windows opening with 10 tabs between them and it took only 8 seconds. You'll have to create new, unmodified profiles for both browser and test them in that environment if you really want a valid comparison.
I have tested it with a fresh new profile and it does load a lot quicker.
I loaded the 'normal' one, disabled all add-ons, and then added them back one at a time but I didn't detect any one of them as being the culprit.
If I have something wrong with my profile how do I correct it other than starting from scratch and repeating all the customization?
FWIW I have 9 add-ons:
All-in-One Gestures
Auto-Sort Bookmarks
Avast Online Security
Classic Theme Restorer
Google Translator for Firefox
Roboform Toolbar
Toolbar Buttons
uBlock Origin
Undo Closed Tabs Button