Lots of developers abandoning their Firefox extensions..

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
Aris

Re: Lots of developers abandoning their Firefox addons..

Post by Aris »

Reflective wrote:...

I doubt if many devs spent time recoding their extensions in the way that you mentioned. Mozilla has already made test samples of web-ext available which can be cloned according to the following tutorial. Or at least that's the way I read it.

Similarly, the abundance of such tools would seem to contradict your opinion that Mozilla has 'zero compassion' for people.
Wow, I just typed "npm install --global web-ext", "web-ext --version" and a few other expressions that tutorial offers into Firefox (location bar and console) and I can confirm any add-on one has currently in mind magically turns into a fully working WebExtension. Furthermore the screen turns into a portal and a unicorn with a pot of gold jumps out.

Back to topic.
I guess you are not an add-on developer or a software developer of any kind, right? It is easy to say this and that without knowing how things work or used to work, so believe those, who actually are familiar with add-on development of the last 5-10 years. Otherwise please prove us wrong and explain how current add-on developers should gain anything from these examples: https://github.com/mdn/webextensions-examples

In case you have not read Mozillas "Comparison with XUL/XPCOM extensions":
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/Add ... extensions
Compared with XUL/XPCOM extensions, WebExtensions provide much more limited options for the add-on's UI, and a much more limited set of privileged JavaScript APIs.
WebExtensions can only access web content by injecting separate scripts into web pages and communicating with them using a messaging API (note, though, that this is also true of XUL/XPCOM extensions that expect to work with multiprocess Firefox).

@Frank
Your comment made my day. :mrgreen:
GHM113

Re: Lots of developers abandoning their Firefox extensions..

Post by GHM113 »

It looks like Session Manager won't survive:
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14730663
Morac wrote:At this point things don't look good. Web Extenstions don't give access to the API that Session Manager needs to actually save or restore sessions, let alone anything else it does. The only thing Web Extensions currently allows is reopening closed tabs from that current browser session. There is no way to "save" the session state and restore it after the browser has been closed and reopened
Sorry for my poor English.
Virtual_ManPL

Post by Virtual_ManPL »

It will survive,
but just not for the latest Firefox... ;)
Virtualfox persona
Tired of constant Firefox UI changes? XUL extensions are not working anymore? Try SeaMonkey, Waterfox Classic, Pale Moon.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Virtual_ManPL wrote:It will survive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYr_iVitR-4
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Virtual_ManPL

Post by Virtual_ManPL »

FRANK! \:D/
Virtualfox persona
Tired of constant Firefox UI changes? XUL extensions are not working anymore? Try SeaMonkey, Waterfox Classic, Pale Moon.
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

Lot of developers are still developing Firefox extensions.

Add-ons Update – 2017/02 | Mozilla Add-ons Blog

The alternative facts. :wink:
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

Still trying for the T-Shirt?
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

WaltS48 wrote:Lot of developers are still developing Firefox extensions.

Add-ons Update – 2017/02 | Mozilla Add-ons Blog

The alternative facts. :wink:
You really should learn to read the stuff you link to before posting it. You know it linked to this, right? -

https://blog.mozilla.org/addons/2016/11 ... s-in-2017/
By the end of 2017, and with the release of Firefox 57, we’ll move to WebExtensions exclusively, and will stop loading any other extension types on desktop. To help ensure any new extensions work beyond the end of 2017, AMO will stop accepting any new extensions for signing that are not WebExtensions in Firefox 53. Throughout the year we’ll expand the set of APIs available, add capabilities to Firefox that don’t yet exist in other browsers, and put more WebExtensions in front of users.
You at least read the comments on your actual link, right? -

Categories: compatibility, developers, documentation
2 responses

Post a comment

Mark Smith
wrote on February 14, 2017 at 10:59 am:

Question to Mozilla Devs: Why not allow existing add-ons which use XUL etc to be used indefinitely into the future, and only require newly written extensions to use WebExtensions? This would grandfather in old extensions while encouraging WebExtensions for new code. Dropping XUL is going to destroy your user base .

Jorge Villalobos wrote on February 14, 2017 at 11:21 am :

(Not really a Mozilla dev, but involved in the decision process) Many changes are coming up that will break them anyway, so it’s more a question of whether the breakage will be controlled and more easily communicated to users and developers, or a series of breaking releases that will be frustrating for everyone. Neither are great options, but we decided it was best to go with the former.

Seriously, chum, in more words than one of your usual Twitter-like drive-by posts what point are you actually trying to make?
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Virtual_ManPL

Post by Virtual_ManPL »

malliz wrote:Still trying for the T-Shirt?
No more shirts and signed post cards for creating extensions and themes :cry:
Virtualfox persona
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

What about for sycophants ?
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

A happy Firefox user - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taGARf8K5J8

This next one is an official internal Mozilla video, made at the time of the enterprise debacle, that I mentioned in an earlier post here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kq8s-Rubs5w
marty60

Post by marty60 »

PadaV4 wrote:I would say there are 2 possibilities. Either the decision making people there are totally detached from reality, or are paid Google moles to sabotage the company. Like Microsoft did with Nokia.
My vote is on the latter: google moles wormed their way in for the kill. With IE practically out of the picture and Microsoft Edge on the edge of nothingness getting rid of Firefox once and for all was the next logical and final step.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

marty60 wrote:
PadaV4 wrote:I would say there are 2 possibilities. Either the decision making people there are totally detached from reality, or are paid Google moles to sabotage the company. Like Microsoft did with Nokia.
My vote is on the latter: google moles wormed their way in for the kill...
Well, 'moles' and 'worming' are probably not the right terms here.

I mean, you guys do know that Google devs were openly working with Firefox devs on the development of Firefox as far back as 2006 and before Google Chrome appeared? The stuff is all on record and I can go into more detail, if required.

That doesn't necessarily make that a good or a bad thing, it's just something that is. I've noticed that full and accurate information is something that both apologist and hater alike seem to have a big problem with. To me it just seems to be the obvious starting point when forming an opinion on something.
Virtual_ManPL

Post by Virtual_ManPL »

malliz wrote:What about for sycophants ?
Probably just the glory on their leaderboard and handshakes of some high-ranking people (jk) :badgrin:
Frank Lion wrote:A happy Firefox user - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taGARf8K5J8
This next one is an official internal Mozilla video, made at the time of the enterprise debacle, that I mentioned in an earlier post here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kq8s-Rubs5w
Heh, I remember these fights, even for MSI installer to no avail... ](*,)
Frank Lion wrote:The stuff is all on record and I can go into more detail, if required.
Please do in your free time [-o<, I have fuzzy memory of these times,
I just remember main thing, that every year for last few years , many talented employees left (or were "fired") from Mozilla.
Virtualfox persona
randommm

Post by randommm »

No more full themes -> No more Firefox.

It's my principle.

Thank you and sayonara, Firefox!