Lots of developers abandoning their Firefox extensions..

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
Grumpus

Re: Lots of developers abandoning their Firefox addons..

Post by Grumpus »

@Frank Lion - How do I get past the adult lock to see the naughty video, obviously I am not an adult. :roll:
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

-Arch- wrote:http://www.ghacks.net/2017/01/28/firefo ... ver-quits/ another Addon Dev Quits Mozilla ( some may wanna read the link if they use his other Addons )
Gee -Arch- pay attention. That was what started this thread in the first place.

But just in case you didn't read the first post.

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14730004

I'm curious as to how many is lots among the active developers. How many active developers are there?
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5
PadaV4

Post by PadaV4 »

Well you have to take in account that many wont announce it publicly. They will just stop updating their addons.
JodyThornton

Post by JodyThornton »

Virtual_ManPL wrote:About mobile market, Firefox is no existent there, because how else can you say about browser with less than 1% usage share there.
I actually agree, and I think Mozilla has a very big uphill battle on their hands. But I guess they see it as, "We need to claw back what we lost to Google"
I wish them luck, I really do.
Cheers,
Jody Thornton
(Richmond Hill, Ontario)
Mouse5

Post by Mouse5 »

WaltS48 wrote:
-Arch- wrote:http://www.ghacks.net/2017/01/28/firefo ... ver-quits/ another Addon Dev Quits Mozilla ( some may wanna read the link if they use his other Addons )
Gee -Arch- pay attention. That was what started this thread in the first place.

But just in case you didn't read the first post.

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14730004

I'm curious as to how many is lots among the active developers. How many active developers are there?
Lots? i really couldnt give you a Number. but i think the OP of that THREAD THAT mentioned " Lots " at least should have given a Number of what the Lots were.

Yes i knew DownThemAll was Dead as i read his long post via his website about it. dunno why Nils didnt close his " Bug reporting " link, all he's gonna get is people reporting bugs etc in hope they'll get a update when they wont. or make a Post on his website stating " There wont be anymore Patches or updates applied " , please dont use the bug reporting link as i wont be doing anything more on the project " yanno something like that
PadaV4

Post by PadaV4 »

-Arch- wrote: Lots? i really couldnt give you a Number. but i think the OP of that THREAD THAT mentioned " Lots " at least should have given a Number of what the Lots were.
What ******* difference does that make? Whats lots for one might not be lots for another. Unless mozilla does a survey asking addon makers how many are abandoning Mozilla's garden due to the missing addon APIs, we will never know the total impact of this ****show.
Mouse5

Post by Mouse5 »

PadaV4 wrote:
-Arch- wrote: Lots? i really couldnt give you a Number. but i think the OP of that THREAD THAT mentioned " Lots " at least should have given a Number of what the Lots were.
What ******* difference does that make? Whats lots for one might not be lots for another. Unless mozilla does a survey asking addon makers how many are abandoning Mozilla's garden due to the missing addon APIs, we will never know the total impact of this ****show.
why make the claim " lots " if you cant give a number ? , why didnt you just say " developers abandoning their Firefox extensions.."
PadaV4

Re: Lots of developers abandoning their Firefox extensions..

Post by PadaV4 »

How the **** does it matter? Stop with this bulls**** nitpicking over one word.

Anyways back to the topic - apparently Greasemonkey developer has troubles rewriting his addon too. Looks like he will try at least. https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic ... 6IyDUWnTQc
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Enough.

It doesn't matter. Firstly because the addon devs aren't abandoning their stuff immediately, which might make this faux question at least have some relevance, but secondly because people can figure it out for themselves.

The point is, it doesn't matter if it is Lot or Lot's wife - when Mozilla introduce WebExtensions and prevent the UI of Firefox being touched by extensions, then existing extensions that do so will cease. I covered that side here - http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14722346

So, look here - https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... &platform=
... take the existing number of 22,847 extensions, subtract the number of extensions that affect the UI, then subtract the number of webpage (content) affecting extensions that the authors do not want to convert to WebExtensions....and the final answer will be.....lots.

The only surprise in this recent list is DownloadThemAll, or whatever it's called, as that is a content extension that might have been expected to continue.

Incidentally guys, you really mustn't allow yourselves to be mis-directed to go off-topic on threads like this. Some questions are genuine and sincere and those are the ones you answer. Some are not and should be ignored. The way to tell is to look at who is asking and question why - http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14722314
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Virtual_ManPL

Post by Virtual_ManPL »

JodyThornton wrote:
Virtual_ManPL wrote:About mobile market, Firefox is no existent there, because how else can you say about browser with less than 1% usage share there.
I actually agree, and I think Mozilla has a very big uphill battle on their hands. But I guess they see it as, "We need to claw back what we lost to Google"
I wish them luck, I really do.
Same here, luck and massive mount of it,
but unfortunately the mobile war was lost long time ago, especially even when there wasn't any battle to fight on, just only surrender.

What's more, the direction now Mozilla going - being worse Chrome clone, is the dumbest and the stupidest idea ever.
Because for now Firefox don't offer anything like performance, security, etc., more than Chrome (like it's now, not when we loose XUL, XBL and XPCOM),
and I suspect massive amount of people will leave "the boat" and migrate to the working Gecko branches to get the extension working or switch to Chrome, as it much faster.
Virtualfox persona
Tired of constant Firefox UI changes? XUL extensions are not working anymore? Try SeaMonkey, Waterfox Classic, Pale Moon.
Drumbrake

Post by Drumbrake »

Just to add some fuel to the fire, looks like Greasemonkey may be next (not unsurprisingly, considering the powers of this extension) Greasemonkey Dev posts WebExtensions Design Doc: paints grim picture .

Of course if Mozilla is laying the groundwork for an API that only allows extensions to alter Firefox' s functionality very limitedly, how is Greasemonkey going to make the cut?

That was the prime intent behind extensions signing, start to cull extensions and piss off developers as a preparation step for webextensions.
morat

Post by morat »

Drumbrake wrote:Greasemonkey may be next (not unsurprisingly, considering the powers of this extension)
Anthony wrote:Overall, the process of writing this doc (i.e. design document for migration) has been demoralizing. It took a lot of work to just scratch the surface of our feature set. At every step, I seemed to find things that range from difficult to impossible, given the APIs that WebExtensions have access to. A significant amount of UI and features will change by the necessity of no longer having the power to do so many things.
Is there any real difference between Greasemonkey in Firefox and Tampermonkey in Chrome? There are only minor differences.

I got 25 userscripts working fine in both browsers.

Tampermonkey
http://tampermonkey.net/
http://tampermonkey.net/?browser=firefox
Reflective

Post by Reflective »

PadaV4 wrote:
Frank Lion wrote:As for the thread title - 'Lots of developers abandoning their Firefox addons..' ....well, would you do hundreds of hours of unpaid work to end up exactly where you started? A few just might, especially if they are getting ad revenue from their constant 'updates' and 'Hey! thanks for updating' first run pages. Normal people are far less likely to.
No im not surprised at all. Even more, one has to consider that many addon devs did just spend countless hours to recode their addons to be e10s compatible. Much of that work is now wasted. "Oh you just finished recoding your addon. Too bad. Now get back to work." Mozilla has zero compassion for the people who spend their free time to make the addons.

I would say there are 2 possibilities. Either the decision making people there are totally detached from reality, or are paid Google moles to sabotage the company. Like Microsoft did with Nokia.
I doubt if many devs spent time recoding their extensions in the way that you mentioned. Mozilla has already made test samples of web-ext available which can be cloned according to the following tutorial. Or at least that's the way I read it.

Similarly, the abundance of such tools would seem to contradict your opinion that Mozilla has 'zero compassion' for people.
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

Reflective wrote:
I doubt if many devs spent time recoding their extensions in the way that you mentioned. Mozilla has already made test samples of web-ext available which can be cloned according to the following tutorial. Or at least that's the way I read it.

Similarly, the abundance of such tools would seem to contradict your opinion that Mozilla has 'zero compassion' for people.
As ignorant and biased a fanboy statement as I have read in a long time
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Reflective wrote:I doubt if many devs
Unless you are an extension dev then what you doubt in your drive-by post has about as much validity and relevance as you writing -

'I doubt that painting the Mona Lisa could have been that hard...according to the following tutorial - http://www.hobbycraft.co.uk/kids/kids-p ... by-numbers. Or at least that's the way I read it.'
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)