Lots of developers abandoning their Firefox extensions..

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
albertd

Re: Lots of developers abandoning their Firefox addons..

Post by albertd »

Not being a techie, just an old man who uses FF and some of the extensions, I cannot understand all the details of these changes, however I do gather that some, but not all, extensions will stop working when FF57 arrives.

Has anyone yet produced a definitive list of those which will die?
Virtual_ManPL

Post by Virtual_ManPL »

@ albertd - all,
which won't be rewritten to WebExtensions and will be still using XUL
Virtualfox persona
Tired of constant Firefox UI changes? XUL extensions are not working anymore? Try SeaMonkey, Waterfox Classic, Pale Moon.
albertd

Post by albertd »

Sorry, I do not understand that answer. I repeat, I am not a techie, just a user.
PadaV4

Post by PadaV4 »

There is no such list yet. Post the addons you use and somebody might tell you if its likely they wont work anymore.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

albertd wrote:Sorry, I do not understand that answer. I repeat, I am not a techie, just a user.
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14722346
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
albertd

Post by albertd »

Well, I have read that about six times and I still cannot understand what it is all about.

The add-ons I am currently using are:

Adblock Plus
Stylish
Roomy Bookmarks Toolbar
Tab Mix Plus

Classic Theme Restorer (which is the only one I know will stop)
celtic_superhero

Post by celtic_superhero »

albertd wrote:
Well, I have read that about six times and I still cannot understand what it is all about.

The add-ons I am currently using are:

Adblock Plus
Stylish
Roomy Bookmarks Toolbar
Tab Mix Plus

It means you can't do stuff anymore which you have been able to do before. Take a look at Chrome. It has limited functions, even if you install add-ons/extensions. That will happen to Firefox. Until Firefox 23 you have been able to change the look of the toolbars and more without installing some additional add-on/extension.

Even that is not possible anymore. For this you need now Classic Theme Restorer and some others. What Mozilla is planning to do is removing that options now as a whole. Well, almost all of these options. You have in the end just another browser which looks similar like Chrome and works similar like Chrome.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

albertd wrote:
No need to sound quite so proud of it, chum, it's not a virtue.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
albertd

Post by albertd »

Frank Lion wrote:No need to sound quite so proud of it, chum, it's not a virtue.
I don't know where that came from because I am not, I am just totally confused. That is the problem with trying to understand modern technology when you are well into your 70s.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

albertd wrote:I am not, I am just totally confused. That is the problem with trying to understand modern technology when you are well into your 70s.
I deliberately don't use technical jargon when I write this stuff (the Australis 'How To', various Knowledge Base articles, etc, etc) for that very reason. But, if something is called WebExtensions then I don't have much choice to call it anything else, do I?

You know what a webpage is, right? It's the stuff that shows up in a browser if you're connected to the Internet, otherwise it doesn't appear, clear enough.

Anything that is not a webpage in a browser is User Interface (UI)

Armed with that, try reading it again and see if that helps.
Last edited by Frank Lion on January 29th, 2017, 6:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
GHM113

Post by GHM113 »

albertd wrote:The add-ons I am currently using are:

Adblock Plus
Stylish
Roomy Bookmarks Toolbar
Tab Mix Plus

AdBlock Plus will be ported to WebExtensions, the only question is when. It took them quite a while to port ABP to the current API so I wouldn't be surprised if we won't see AdBlock Plus WebExtension in the next 6 months. But that's not really important because we have uBlock Origin that has the same functionality and has already been ported to WebExtensions.

Stylish - I don't know.
Roomy Bookmarks Toolbar - Mozilla is currently working on Toolbar API so this addon might survive https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1215064
Tab Mix Plus - I guess it depends on what functionality you use. According to Aris, the developer of Classic Theme Restorer, Tab Center addon that moves the tabs to the side of your browser window and removes the tab bar entirely uses WebExtension API so it theoretically possible we'll see multi row tab bar implemented as well.
Classic Theme Restorer - only the basic functionality will be left like square tabs
Last edited by GHM113 on January 29th, 2017, 6:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sorry for my poor English.
morat

Post by morat »

Adblock Plus and Stylish have Chrome extensions available for download.

Chrome extensions can be easily converted to Firefox WebExtensions.

Adblock Plus
http://adblockplus.org/
http://adblockplus.org/en/chrome

Stylish
http://userstyles.org/
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

morat wrote:Adblock Plus and Stylish have Chrome extensions available for download
You need to be more careful how you explain yourself, or you will confuse people.

Stylish in Firefox, at the moment, can change things for both webpage content and UI (User Interface)

Stylish in Chrome can only change things in webpages. The two versions are completely different.

People should also check out the recent user reviews in both versions, as there have been changes a short while back, that may well be of interest to them.
albertd

Post by albertd »

OK, thanks, a bit clearer now. I will leave it at that as I don't want to completely take over the thread with this.
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

Frank Lion wrote:People should also check out the recent user reviews in both versions, as there have been changes a short while back, that may well be of interest to them.
Indeed, me thinks from his first appearance, new Stylish 'owner' speaks with a forked tongue.
Slightly OT: Got to give this alternative a go, anyone else used it? https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/stylrrr/
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.