userChrome.css after XUL dies

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
RobertJ

userChrome.css after XUL dies

Post by RobertJ »

What will happen to the ability to use userChrome.css after XUL dies.

I ask this because the first line in that file is

Code: Select all

@namespace url("http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul");

FF 92.0 - TB 78.13 - Mac OSX 10.13.6
Frank Lion

Re: userChrome.css after XUL dies

Post by Frank Lion »

Mozilla have been silent on this, but I reckon/know it's going, just because of where that stuff 'hits'.

userContent.css will still exist though - things like Otter, Qupzilla, etc have 'style.csss' that work as userContent.css does in Firefox.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

Thanks.

So what version of FF will this catastrophe occur?

Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

RobertJ wrote:Thanks.

So what version of FF will this catastrophe occur?
In November with FF57 Release.

However, there will be a FF52 ESR version kicking around for a few more months after that.

My advice for people who want to stick with using Firefox and keep things as they are, is just to swing straight over to FF52 ESR as soon as it comes out and forget about this stuff for a year. There's nothing interesting lined up in 53 - 57 anyway, just the usual world of pain stuff.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

Thanks again.

With many of my important extensions going away per their developers and the 17 tweaks I use in userChrome.css, I will have to start "testing" other browsers this summer. The extensions and the tweaks are my only strong motivation for using FF.

Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

RobertJ wrote:I will have to start "testing" other browsers this summer.
I've only had a fairly brief look myself.

All are miles more RAM and sometimes CPU intensive than SeaMonkey or Firefox...

Vivaldi - overrated UI customisations - I want the UI customisations that I want, not the ones they decide to offer.

Otter - good potential, often crashy and some normal features missing.

Qupzilla - damn silly name, but you could use that 'out of the box' and it wouldn't be the end of the world. Has good features and UI theme-wise I can see how that can be done, but like K-Melon, all UI stuff is locked into position. However, devs seem reactive and users share tips, etc on their small forum. This one is a possible, I reckon.

Of course, SeaMonkey is far from done. With the SeaFox extension on it, it works like everyone's 'ideal' Firefox. You do need to slap a theme on it - the default is rather dated and grim and the alternative one included is only marginally better.

But...1 extension + 1 theme..and you're done. I don't need half the extension I used to need, er, before I used it.

Obviously, I'm biased, just because I already use SeaMonkey, but I'm hardly likely to be using a load of rubbish, am I? I have no 'loyalty' stuff to deal with, so I just use what suits me and works very well for me.
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

I will give SeaMonkey a try.

RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

RobertJ wrote: I will give SeaMonkey a try.
Just spent a couple of hours playing with SeaMonkey. Was looking great re userChrome.css tweaks and extensions; unfortunately, the three financial institutions I use don't accept it. They only accept:
  • Microsoft Edge
  • Internet Explorer 11 and higher
  • Firefox 24 and higher
  • Chrome 38 and higher
  • Safari 7.1 and higher
Bummer

barbaz

Post by barbaz »

SeaMonkey 2.46 is like Firefox 49 under the hood, so it should really be just as supported as Firefox 49. Try spoofing your user agent string -
about:config
right-click > new > string
name:

Code: Select all

general.useragent.override
For value, paste in the Firefox user-agent string you see below your post.
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

Thanks. That was on my list of things to try; you accelerated the process.

It worked for the first institution. Will try others tomorrow.

Back to exploring SeaMonkey. BTW, how long will SeaMonkey stick with XUL?

Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

RobertJ wrote: unfortunately, the three financial institutions I use don't accept it.
Mine are OK. You got Edit> Prefs>Advanced>HTTP Networking > Advertise Firefox Compat > checked?

This isn't a browser that is continually breaking on sites. In fact, the only one I use is general.useragent.override.facebook.com where I use a Trident 7 string.

As for how long will SM stick with XUL? - longer than Firefox that's for sure, as the SM ESR will go on for longer and plans are being hatched for what happens after that...with others. Mozilla being known for being somewhat vindictive, it's best to not publicly go there really. So, it's a 'wait and see' or maybe 'wait and not see' situation.

If it does hit the fan, personally I'm going to use the last SM ESR with a Linux external sandbox around it.
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

Frank Lion wrote:Mine are OK. You got Edit> Prefs>Advanced>HTTP Networking > Advertise Firefox Compat > checked?
Yes.

Cheers, heading out to dinner.

Mouse5

Post by Mouse5 »

RobertJ wrote:.
I will give SeaMonkey a try.

i'd agree with Frank, Seamonkey is/would be your best bet, im also a bit worried about Thunderbird, i myself maybe looking for a new email client :(
frg

Post by frg »

> i'd agree with Frank, Seamonkey is/would be your best bet, im also a bit worried about Thunderbird, i myself maybe looking for a new email client :(

Thunderbird is in the same boat with SeaMonkey. A lot of code is shared and both currently do not support web extensions. When FF ditches the classic extensions and really tries to get rid of XUL they will be finished imho. I hope a fork will emerge where SeaMonkey and Thunderbird can hitch a ride on.

We will see...

FRG
therube

Post by therube »

the three financial institutions I use don't accept it
URLs?
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript