MozillaZine

userChrome.css after XUL dies

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
flaneurb
 
Posts: 548
Joined: December 10th, 2011, 3:50 am

Post Posted May 12th, 2017, 5:54 am

Frank Lion wrote:...
The Stylish extension for Chrome - same extension, same people - lets users add and manage only userContent.css styles to change the appearance/functionality only of websites.

...
There is also no userChrome.css file in Google Chrome.

...
#1. Does Chrome's UI contain no .css at all?
#2. Is the Chrome UI so perfect that not one user has ever wanted to change any of it?
#3. Is something else going on?
...

This is with respect to Linux only ...
Chrome has made the move to gtk3 from gtk2. The current dev version (and maybe also the current beta) is gtk3-based. This means that at least some customization of the UI is possible in that Chrome will take some of the css values in your theme's gtk.css.

I like a darkish UI overall and I'm moderately happy with the move to gtk3 (until the GNOMEs do something to "improve" the user experience).

Here are two bugs:
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/is ... ?id=132847
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/is ... ?id=706448

One can also change the scrollbars to some extent via Stylish. Instead of the defaults, I have
Code: Select all
::-webkit-scrollbar-button,::-webkit-scrollbar-track{display:none}
::-webkit-scrollbar { width: 10px; height: 10px;}
::-webkit-scrollbar-thumb{background-color:#000d1a}
::-webkit-scrollbar{background-color:#4e4e4e}
::-webkit-scrollbar-corner {background-color:#333}


http://imgur.com/a/kz2KF

Frank Lion

User avatar
 
Posts: 19320
Joined: April 23rd, 2004, 6:59 pm
Location: ... The Exorcist....United Kingdom

Post Posted May 12th, 2017, 7:56 am

flaneurb wrote:This is with respect to Linux only ...
Chrome has made the move to gtk3 from gtk2. The current dev version (and maybe also the current beta) is gtk3-based. This means that at least some customization of the UI is possible in that Chrome will take some of the css values in your theme's gtk.css.

I sort of get what you're trying to say, but what that boils down to is saying 'that any program that uses native OS elements from the Operating System can be customised by recoding the native theme code!'

Er, I know, I was doing just that with gtk2, the Murrine engine and .rc for individual app styling years back and now I do both gtk2/gtk3 and know the limitations of both. In other words, it has nothing to do with gtk3, other than you've just discovered it.

Firefox 0.8 looked different if you put a different OS theme on. Solitaire on Windows? Sure, what colour do you want it and I'll recode the msstyles to do it. In other words....what you are saying has been true for any program using/part using a native (OS) theme for the last 20 years.

That's fine, honestly, if that's all you want, but let's not in any way start comparing that with userChrome.css where it's possible to move stuff all over the place, increase functionality, return long extinct features and customise the UI down to the last pixel on a Gecko based program. The two are not comparable.

flaneurb wrote:One can also change the scrollbars to some extent via Stylish.

Yeah, you would. Those are the content scrollbars that you see on webpages and we already know that Stylish is doing content styling. :)

The UI scrollbars are the ones you see in the Sidebar, Options, Bookmarks Manager, etc.


Anyway, stuff to do, so I'll leave you guys to chat amongst yourselves....:)
Metal Lion latest SeaMonkey & Thunderbird Themes - Sea Monkey and Silver Sea Monkey
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)

Ulf3000
 
Posts: 12
Joined: February 17th, 2017, 9:02 am

Post Posted May 21st, 2017, 3:26 pm

userchrome.css will go nowhere ,
how muc h time the the webext team needed to write the webext modules , which are in itself programmed exactly like old bootstrapped extensions and have tons over tons of XUL code and all rely of c-types , then you know that itll be year upon years till xul will be depricated in reality ...

there should be ways/hacks/builds to still use legacy addons and stuff way beyond ff57,

they just remove the bundled sdk modules and bootstrap mechanism and permission to use them , but that shouldn´t take that much to re-add that part

malliz
Folder@Home

User avatar
 
Posts: 43144
Joined: December 7th, 2002, 4:34 am
Location: Australia

Post Posted May 21st, 2017, 3:33 pm

Do you actually read anything before trying to come across as some sort of Oracle?
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=332529#c14
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"

Frank Lion

User avatar
 
Posts: 19320
Joined: April 23rd, 2004, 6:59 pm
Location: ... The Exorcist....United Kingdom

Post Posted May 21st, 2017, 3:55 pm

malliz wrote:Do you actually read anything before ...

yep, irc (aka 'Twitter for geeks') - viewtopic.php?p=14748836&sid=82a73efa213423b4e4787398ac27af38#p14748836
Metal Lion latest SeaMonkey & Thunderbird Themes - Sea Monkey and Silver Sea Monkey
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)

Ulf3000
 
Posts: 12
Joined: February 17th, 2017, 9:02 am

Post Posted May 22nd, 2017, 12:05 am

malliz wrote:Do you actually read anything before trying to come across as some sort of Oracle?
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=332529#c14


was that directed at me?

i read the firefox´s code/programming , no need to rely on other peoples politicized opinions.

and if you read your link, you see that they are actually saying itll stay, just not accessible or exposed to users .
stylesheetservice(the method which loads userstyles in stylish and stuff like "classic theme restorer") will stay in firefox , period no discussion.

in many many years that might change

malliz
Folder@Home

User avatar
 
Posts: 43144
Joined: December 7th, 2002, 4:34 am
Location: Australia

Post Posted May 22nd, 2017, 12:16 am

Ulf3000 wrote:was that directed at me?

Yes.
Bye the way a lot of us can "read code".
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"

GHM113

User avatar
 
Posts: 583
Joined: December 16th, 2015, 3:59 am
Location: Moscow, Russia

Post Posted May 22nd, 2017, 2:12 am

Ulf3000 wrote:userchrome.css will go nowhere ,
how muc h time the the webext team needed to write the webext modules , which are in itself programmed exactly like old bootstrapped extensions and have tons over tons of XUL code and all rely of c-types , then you know that itll be year upon years till xul will be depricated in reality ...

there should be ways/hacks/builds to still use legacy addons and stuff way beyond ff57,

they just remove the bundled sdk modules and bootstrap mechanism and permission to use them , but that shouldn´t take that much to re-add that part

I am so terrible at programming I couldn't figure out how to write a calculator in Basic at high school so after I read about deprecation of XUL I decided Mozilla would get rid of it overnight by flipping a pref in about:config. Later on I realized things might not be that simple so I was going to ask how long it would take to replace XUL. Your post was very helpful. Good news, actually, that means Tab Mix Plus might stay functional even after 57 Nightly cycle :-"
I am an idiot. Sorry for my poor English. Current list of config tweaks: https://pastebin.com/1dCT4Cvp

Frank Lion

User avatar
 
Posts: 19320
Joined: April 23rd, 2004, 6:59 pm
Location: ... The Exorcist....United Kingdom

Post Posted May 22nd, 2017, 3:24 am

GHM113 wrote:I am so terrible at programming...

This guy isn't - viewtopic.php?p=14731838#p14731838

We really can't keep flogging this one to death, you know. You guys need to figure if Aris knows what he's talking about or if you are just going to believe every pre-teen that wanders in off the street and tells you what you want to hear.
Metal Lion latest SeaMonkey & Thunderbird Themes - Sea Monkey and Silver Sea Monkey
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)

Ulf3000
 
Posts: 12
Joined: February 17th, 2017, 9:02 am

Post Posted May 22nd, 2017, 10:03 am

Frank Lion wrote:
GHM113 wrote:I am so terrible at programming...

This guy isn't - viewtopic.php?p=14731838#p14731838

We really can't keep flogging this one to death, you know. You guys need to figure if Aris knows what he's talking about or if you are just going to believe every pre-teen that wanders in off the street and tells you what you want to hear.


don´t you think thats a bit rude ?

my credibility : https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/user/ulf3000/

im writing my extensions in a mix between sdk and lowlevel,

i looked extensively at the webextension modules since i wanted to steal some code from them so i figured if the mozila team needs that much time to write them and make them good , its gonna last forever till stuff is replaced entirely and the webext modules need to be rewritten once again. just my 2 cents .

i think i even read in this forum that ff57 dev-edition still supports "legacy" stuff and internal addons in C:\Program Files\Firefox Developer Edition\browser\features (all bootstrapped)will still work too ...

morat
 
Posts: 2330
Joined: February 3rd, 2009, 6:29 pm

Post Posted May 22nd, 2017, 10:26 am

Anyone know what will happen to the config file in Firefox 57?

Perhaps, we can use the mozilla.cfg file to enable the legacy stuff.

Customizing Firefox – Advanced Autoconfig Files
http://mike.kaply.com/2012/03/22/custom ... fig-files/

Demo mozilla.cfg file
http://mike.kaply.com/wp-content/blogs. ... 2/demo.cfg

P.S.

I'm siding with Ulf3000. Anyone using a One-Punch Man pic for his amo avatar is a good guy in my book.

Frank Lion

User avatar
 
Posts: 19320
Joined: April 23rd, 2004, 6:59 pm
Location: ... The Exorcist....United Kingdom

Post Posted May 22nd, 2017, 11:14 am

Ulf3000 wrote:
Frank Lion wrote:
GHM113 wrote:I am so terrible at programming...

This guy isn't - viewtopic.php?p=14731838#p14731838

We really can't keep flogging this one to death, you know. You guys need to figure if Aris knows what he's talking about or if you are just going to believe every pre-teen that wanders in off the street and tells you what you want to hear.

don´t you think thats a bit rude ?

:-k

Well, I could have written 'Aris really knows what he's talking about', but I didn't want him to get too big-headed.


morat wrote:Anyone know what will happen to the config file in Firefox 57?

Perhaps, we can use the mozilla.cfg file to enable the legacy stuff.

I reckon so, you can play that stuff like a violin. Not that'll help the average Joe Soap user much though.

morat wrote:Anyone using a One-Punch Man pic for his amo avatar is a good guy in my book.

Jeeze, what are you like? Go write a few Custom Buttons or something until you've calmed down a bit.

Damn place is going to the dogs.
Metal Lion latest SeaMonkey & Thunderbird Themes - Sea Monkey and Silver Sea Monkey
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)

smsmith
Moderator

User avatar
 
Posts: 19235
Joined: December 7th, 2004, 8:51 pm
Location: Illinois

Post Posted May 23rd, 2017, 9:50 am

Ulf3000 wrote:they just remove the bundled sdk modules and bootstrap mechanism and permission to use them , but that shouldn´t take that much to re-add that part

Out of curiosity, if they remove the permission to use certain modules and mechanisms that have been removed, how will it be possible to "re-add" them? Sounds like a lot more than any webextension will be allowed to do.
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.

Ulf3000
 
Posts: 12
Joined: February 17th, 2017, 9:02 am

Post Posted May 23rd, 2017, 12:51 pm

smsmith wrote:
Ulf3000 wrote:they just remove the bundled sdk modules and bootstrap mechanism and permission to use them , but that shouldn´t take that much to re-add that part

Out of curiosity, if they remove the permission to use certain modules and mechanisms that have been removed, how will it be possible to "re-add" them? Sounds like a lot more than any webextension will be allowed to do.


i don´t know in which order they deprecate stuff but since the internal addons are still loaded through bootstrapped extensions i think there should be a way .. for sdk addons either a firefox fork with the sdk code modules added or package modules with addons

the userchrome is loaded via stylesheetservice , used by stylish and similar addons and firefox internally (also in the webextension modules when you inject stylesheets) .. stylesheetservice can be called from bootstrapped extensions .. bootstrapped extensions can be enabled since the code still exists

lets see how this goes , mozilla promised to add lots of firefox exclusive webextensions modules in 2017 which will give usefull functionality.
at least for the modder community there should be lots of options to tackle this "problem" with mozilla.

marty60
 
Posts: 461
Joined: March 21st, 2012, 7:09 am

Post Posted May 24th, 2017, 4:57 pm

Ulf3000 wrote:there should be ways/hacks/builds to still use legacy addons and stuff way beyond ff57,

they just remove the bundled sdk modules and bootstrap mechanism and permission to use them , but that shouldn´t take that much to re-add that part

Ok Ulf3000, you'll be the go-to man we'll look for when we need that hack to keep the addons going for a little while longer. I'm hoping we can carry it through 59esr at least since it appears to be too much to ask of Mozilla.

Return to Firefox General


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests