spellchecking to identify words with digits

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
ineuw

spellchecking to identify words with digits

Post by ineuw »

Firefox's dictionary & spellchecker has greatly improved in the past few years, but still cannot distinguish (highlight) text where a character is misprinted as a digit or a typo. An example of this are words like "num6er" or "light;er". Does anyone know of an add-on which would highlight such words?
Firefox 115.0.2 (default install) in Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 64 bit, updated on 2023-07-31 00:05
Grumpus

Re: spellchecking to identify words with digits

Post by Grumpus »

Just brainstorming.
Trying the two samples the "num6er" wasn't detected but the light;er is underlined in red.
You note running Linux MInt. If you have LibreOffice installed it allows for the "num6er" detections and there's some crossover for browser and mail.
I don't use the browser and mail function for LibreOffice but since a lot of these things wind up classified as shared is it possible configuring LibreOffice . . .
. . . with relation to Firefox would change so num6er would have the same underlining?
Also, is there a system setting which allows identification of these spelling errors for Windows?
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
ineuw

Re: spellchecking to identify words with digits

Post by ineuw »

Hi Grumpus. I follow Firefox development, features and the attendant problems with both Windows 7 and Mint. Words like my samples are never highlighted by Firefox, regardless the operating system. I do all my editing in Wikipedia textboxes & environment, but the idea of LibreOffice appeals to me, because it is installed in both OS. Until recently, I was using TextPad which is an excellent text editor with a superb dictionary/spell checker but is only available in Windows. I will make the suggestion on the Mozilla site.
Firefox 115.0.2 (default install) in Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 64 bit, updated on 2023-07-31 00:05