Unfair for xp users

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
Methen

Unfair for xp users

Post by Methen »

I just wanted to say that I think its totally unfair to drop support for xp, there are a great number of people who still use Xp including myself, I dot like other OS systems and I have no intention of giving up xp...
LIMPET235

Re: Unfair for xp users

Post by LIMPET235 »

Hi,
This thread & post by "the-edmeister" may help you out with continuing to run XP.
> http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14737181
&, the site to get your version...
> https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/o ... tions/all/

If you'd care to do a search of the fora, there are quite a few threads on the subject.--------------------------------------------->>>
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
Methen

Post by Methen »

sadly that appears to be a temporary solution and I already have that installed...
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

Methen wrote:sadly that appears to be a temporary solution and I already have that installed...
Firefox 52 ESR will take you well into 2018.

How long do you expect Mozilla to support an operating system that was made E-O-L almost 3 years ago?

"Unfair for XP users"? Suck it up! Life in general ain't fair; and then you die.

A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
Kevin McFarlane

Post by Kevin McFarlane »

the-edmeister wrote: How long do you expect Mozilla to support an operating system that was made E-O-L almost 3 years ago?
And that EOL was already extended by 3 years!
Methen

Post by Methen »

For as long as there is one single person using xp that is how long...
James

Post by James »

Unfair huh well by the time support for WinXP and Vista ends Firefox 52.8.0esr will be out at two years since Google dropped support for WinXP/Vista with Chrome in April 2016.
Kevin McFarlane wrote:
the-edmeister wrote: How long do you expect Mozilla to support an operating system that was made E-O-L almost 3 years ago?
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... fact-sheet
Client operating systems | Latest update or service pack | End of mainstream support | End of extended support
Windows XP | Service Pack 3 | April 14, 2009 | April 8, 2014
Windows Vista | Service Pack 2 | April 10, 2012 | April 11, 2017
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

Methen wrote:For as long as there is one single person using xp that is how long...
So do you have any sympathy for people using Win 98? Or are you just a me! me! me! person?
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
Mouse5

Post by Mouse5 »

blame Microsoft, there the ones that are ending support for there older OS's
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Methen wrote:I just wanted to say that I think its totally unfair to drop support for xp
not as unfair as when they dropped support for the sinclair spectrum+
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

#-o Is there an up to date version of Firefox that will run on my Coleco Adam? 8-)
efox99

Post by efox99 »

omg is this real life? :lol:

Anyways...

Windows 7 > XP
Kevin McFarlane

Post by Kevin McFarlane »

James wrote:Unfair huh well by the time support for WinXP and Vista ends Firefox 52.8.0esr will be out at two years since Google dropped support for WinXP/Vista with Chrome in April 2016.
Kevin McFarlane wrote:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... fact-sheet
Client operating systems | Latest update or service pack | End of mainstream support | End of extended support
Windows XP | Service Pack 3 | April 14, 2009 | April 8, 2014
Windows Vista | Service Pack 2 | April 10, 2012 | April 11, 2017
I was actually supporting your point, in case it didn't come across that way. :) I.e., MS extended support for 3 years past their normal date but it's still deemed not good enough for some users.
xichael

Post by xichael »

How many man-hours do you figure it takes Mozilla to keep Firefox functional on XP?

I'd say it'd be unfair to the rest of us to have them devote another minute to the cause.

Using XP at this point is just reckless.
James

Post by James »

One of the complications in supporting WInXP.

from the tracking Bug#1130266 for Reading is comment #16
Jim Mathies [:jimm] 6 months ago
Supporting XP is actually become quite a problem for our releng teams in that data center testing hardware doesn't support XP anymore. So for example we currently use AWS for most of our testing, but have XP tests running on old hardware we have to maintain ourselves in a data center. It's issues like this that push us to move XP out to an extended support release where we can decommission most of our automated testing associated with it.
Please read before considering commenting in any of the related reports as "Why?" and such comments will be spam and likely hidden.
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/page.cgi?id=etiquette.html

Not linking directly to bug to make it less easy for people not used to the Bugzilla issues tracker to spam any of the related bugs.