Why is Firefox so user unfriendly?

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
Frejoh466

Why is Firefox so user unfriendly?

Post by Frejoh466 »

So I have been on chrome for the past 3 month and really liked it, until a web page I use decided to use clickjacking. And Chromium has no defense against that. So I decided to go back to Firefox and wonder why I left in the first place, because I miss NoScript.

And now when I'm setting things up again I remember why. Firefox is useless without a ton of addons. Sure, you get the bloat like pocket and other crap no one wants. But after every update we just keep getting more and more crap, and some of that crap we need a addon to disable. Like really, a permanent zoom value in the url bar? People complained about that in Firefox 4! And to remove that, you need an damn addon.

I can only scroll 2 lines, you need an addon to fix that.
Zooming is crap, you need an addon to fix that.
The right click menu is cluttered with crap, you need an addon to fix that.
Guess what you need to have for manage your cookies, you guess it, an addon.

You need a addon to change the most basic stuff that should come natively. And then your browser get slower, and slower. You then complain at the support that the browser is slow, and they say it is because of all the addons, but guess what? I NEED THAT DAMN SCROLLING ADDON TO BE ABLE TO FING SCROLL!!! Just 1 addon need to be broken for the entire browser to chug.

And now I'm sitting here wondering if I should just live with that page hijacking everything, or if I should hope that the damn scroll addon doesn't break, or the other addons I need to just use the browser. And hope that they don't slowdown my browser (And I know it must be slowing things down somewhere). But then again what if more pages start using hijacking and google doesn't add support to block that in chromium (I think they never will), then I have to find other similar pages or switch to a browser that support blocking clickjacking.

And I'm confused on what to do. So why do I need so many addons just to do the basic things like use the browser without going insane?
LIMPET235

Re: Why is Firefox so user unfriendly?

Post by LIMPET235 »

Hi,
I really don't know what to tell you.
You could update to the latest version ie: V52.0.2, I think it is.
& see if that fixes your problems with slow downs.
> https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/all/
or, you can submit your -ve feedback to them via Help > Submit Feedback & give them h#%@.

&....It's only going to get a whole lot worse.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
GHM113

Post by GHM113 »

Frejoh466 wrote:I can only scroll 2 lines, you need an addon to fix that.
Type about:config in the address bar, press Enter
Type mousewheel.min_line_scroll_amount
Double click and set it to 25, then try to scroll a webpage. After that set it to any other value you like. No need to restart the browser.
Sorry for my poor English.
Frejoh466

Post by Frejoh466 »

GHM113 wrote:
Frejoh466 wrote:I can only scroll 2 lines, you need an addon to fix that.
Type about:config in the address bar, press Enter
Type mousewheel.min_line_scroll_amount
Double click and set it to 25, then try to scroll a webpage. After that set it to any other value you like. No need to restart the browser.
I set it to 999999999999 dosen't do crap. Need to set acceleration to 0 then scroll speed to 10, and then I can't scroll to fast as it will rocket jump to the bottom, nor can I scroll once as it goes to slow.

But I'm back to chrome after 4 hours of trying to set my profile. Why? Because I had enough of the addon crap? Nope. I tried to find what I was using for zoom addon, as everything was way to small. Found my old profile folder, started firefox.exe -p and created new profile with the folder, and started. Nope it created a new profile and didn't load the old one. Ok, guess I go back then, select my old profile, and it wont load. And now my profile folder somewhere in the void.

So yea... Not going so great. I have been trying to fix the hijacking for 16 hours, where 12 hours is learning what it is, and how to stop it. and 4 hours setting a Firefox profile that is now lost.
GHM113

Post by GHM113 »

Frejoh466 wrote:I set it to 999999999999 dosen't do crap. Need to set acceleration to 0 then scroll speed to 10, and then I can't scroll to fast as it will rocket jump to the bottom, nor can I scroll once as it goes to slow.
That's strange. Try to reset all scrolling settings in about:config that you changed and use the following values:
general.smoothScroll.mouseWheel.durationMaxMS 120
general.smoothScroll.mouseWheel.durationMinMS 60
mousewheel.min_line_scroll_amount 25
Also, make sure Smooth scrolling is enabled in Settings - Advanced - General.
Frejoh466 wrote:But I'm back to chrome after 4 hours of trying to set my profile. Why? Because I had enough of the addon crap? Nope. I tried to find what I was using for zoom addon, as everything was way to small. Found my old profile folder, started firefox.exe -p and created new profile with the folder, and started. Nope it created a new profile and didn't load the old one. Ok, guess I go back then, select my old profile, and it wont load. And now my profile folder somewhere in the void.
I had similar problem in the past, launch Profile Manager, click Create new profile, after that:
1. Name the profile
2. Select old profile folder
Sorry for my poor English.
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

LIMPET235 wrote:Hi,
I really don't know what to tell you.
I do :D
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
MdniteEagl

Post by MdniteEagl »

Fox 52 stopped support for Java, and SM 2.46 still isn't fully acknowledged as a "current" browser due to some sites not recognizing the string. I gave Fox 52 ESR a try, and it's been performing much better.
Tower: HP EliteDesk 705 G3 - Win 10 Pro - AMD Ryzen 5 Pro 1500 - 64GB (4x16GB) 2133MHz DDR4 - Fox 77.0.1/TB 68.9/Edge 83.0
Laptop: HP ZBook 17 G4 - Win 10 Pro for Workstations - Intel Xeon E3-1535M - 64GB (4x16GB) 2400MHz DDR4 - Fox 77.0.1/TB 68.9/Edge 83.0
Frejoh466

Post by Frejoh466 »

Spent 1 hour writing a response then when I pressed submit It sent me to login page and deleted everything I wrote. Even the forum is crap. FFS.

TL;DR
Chrome is faster than Firefox and load webpages faster, rather have my sanity then being secure, even if chrome dosen't block inline scripts, clickjacking, and others. Windows search wont work with firefox, must type firefox.exe while chrome just need to type c. Chrome is crap with its addon support at the addon page. Will try Firefox again when WebExtensions and multi-threading gets out.

Scroll still wont work without the addon.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Chrome is faster than Firefox and load webpages faster,
Not always and not when Firefox is running properly.

Locking this as there appears to be no interest here is working through any of the issues being reported/discussed.