Fresh Uninstall/Re-Install (Mozilla AppData) 22.9gig ?

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
BuzWeaver

Fresh Uninstall/Re-Install (Mozilla AppData) 22.9gig ?

Post by BuzWeaver »

I did a fresh uninstall and reinstall yesterday and when I checked the AppData Mozilla folder it indicated that it had 22.9gigs of files (data). I didn't look in the folder, but what on earth could have been taking up that much space? Granted, I have 3megs worth of Bookmarks, cut 22.9gigs is a serious amount of space.
Grumpus

Re: Fresh Uninstall/Re-Install (Mozilla AppData) 22.9gig ?

Post by Grumpus »

Just a guess but could it be downloaded videos or the information? . . . possibly other downloaded or saved tab information?
22GB (you are referring to bytes not bits?) more than a third or more of some complete Linux repositories including backports. :roll:
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
BuzWeaver

Post by BuzWeaver »

It's possible it's video information. I download quite a bit of Stock Video from VideoBlocks and grab YouTube segments for commentary. I'm referring to Gigs. 22.9gigs, the same size of one of my video games or B-Roll folders. Next time I'll certainly take a look at the folder.
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

In what folder location in AppData do you see these files?

Firefox uses two locations for the Firefox profile folder.
Location used for the main profile in "AppData\Roaming" that keeps your personal data.
C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\<profile>\
Location used for the disk cache and other temporary files in "AppData\Local".
C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\<profile>\
kreemoweet

Post by kreemoweet »

OP seems to think reinstalling the FF program will have some effect on the user data that's already on storage. It will not.
BuzWeaver

Post by BuzWeaver »

dickvl wrote:In what folder location in AppData do you see these files?

Firefox uses two locations for the Firefox profile folder.
Location used for the main profile in "AppData\Roaming" that keeps your personal data.
C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\<profile>\
Location used for the disk cache and other temporary files in "AppData\Local".
C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\<profile>\
Sadly, I didn't look in the folder. Once I selected properties and saw the size I just deleted the folder. I just used the standard AppData command in the Win10 mode to get to the folder.

kreemoweet wrote:OP seems to think reinstalling the FF program will have some effect on the user data that's already on storage. It will not.

Actually I was having issues uploading to YouTube and thought it might be a Firefox issue since it wasn't behaving the same for Chrome or Edge. I often just to a clean uninstall/reinstall just to clean up any possible issues. It wasn't so much clearing the user data as much as just getting a fresh FF load.

I appreciate you guys chiming in. It wasn't my intent to make to big of an issue over this as I was just amazed that 22.9gigs of info was in the Mozilla folder.
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

Sadly, I didn't look in the folder. Once I selected properties and saw the size I just deleted the folder. I just used the standard AppData command in the Win10 mode to get to the folder.
Really? ... you removed a folder without know what was in it? ... seems to me it's a good way to screw up a system... just saying...

You're on Win10... Me, Win7 ... and just to give you some info about my profile...
The main stuff in in...
C:\Users\ME\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\gbr0luau.default

That profile is 9 years old and has always been my main profile... I have around 30 extensions in it... I never uninstall Firefox (if my memory is correct) ... during updates... I do a backup of my profile first and then update...

After all those years the size of that profile is... 145meg with 4k of files.
No protection of my system via bad-stuff blocking tools has never entered my mind... so, it's either the way you use your system ... as you stated... lots of vids... or you have something hiding in there.
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
BuzWeaver

Post by BuzWeaver »

dfoulkes wrote:
Really? ... you removed a folder without know what was in it? ... seems to me it's a good way to screw up a system... just saying...

You're on Win10... Me, Win7 ... and just to give you some info about my profile...
The main stuff in in...
C:\Users\ME\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\gbr0luau.default

That profile is 9 years old and has always been my main profile... I have around 30 extensions in it... I never uninstall Firefox (if my memory is correct) ... during updates... I do a backup of my profile first and then update...

After all those years the size of that profile is... 145meg with 4k of files.
No protection of my system via bad-stuff blocking tools has never entered my mind... so, it's either the way you use your system ... as you stated... lots of vids... or you have something hiding in there.
I knew what folder it was as I was looking for it specifically.
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

BuzWeaver wrote: I knew what folder it was as I was looking for it specifically.
Ahhhh.... OK... from what you had posted it sounded diff...
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!