Which Browser for You After Firefox 57?

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
toolong

Re: Which Browser for You After Firefox 57?

Post by toolong »

Have you tried to reinstall them?
marty60

Post by marty60 »

The Tinsmith wrote:Have you tried to reinstall them?
If your question is to me I'm referring to how those addons will not work after 57. Mozilla providing a source for WE replacements is a joke, most of the useful addons cannot be replaced or will be replaced with severely diminished capability.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

oh trust me, there a lot of buttons available in the chrome store for this and that, even searchbar or a better download manager, ok, nothing like DTA. mozilla has adopted parts of the chrome api and will extend it. but its functions are limited to its own storage, no longer to firefox prefs - major goal of this step v57. so there will be less issues between extension like forecast extension and eg noscript like today.
Mo_D

Post by Mo_D »

WaltS48 wrote:In today's news.
Mozilla plans to add a feature to Firefox 57 which enables users to find replacements for extensions that are no longer supported by the browser.
https://www.ghacks.net/2017/05/13/firef ... xtensions/

Too bad I removed the disabled ones from my Nightly. #-o
That move makes me think someone is starting to realize how screwed they really are.

Also, the article mentions that the feature is not yet functional. I imagine that would be partly because there is no list of extensions that are going to be functional in 57. Nobody knows what is going to work. ref
toolong

Post by toolong »

If your question is to me I'm referring to how those addons will not work after 57.

Actually no I was not. but you obviously have some serious concerns. Sorry about that.
marty60

Post by marty60 »

Mo_D wrote:That move makes me think someone is starting to realize how screwed they really are.
If that's the case, and it may well be then it leads me to believe that someone higher than Mozilla is pulling the strings.
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

This guy cracks me up; needs to go to some Moz-Aid Anonymous meetings I reckon... had to use another browser to read it in English. :roll:

https://www.soeren-hentzschel.at/firefo ... zu-finden/
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
toolong

Post by toolong »

Thanks for the link.

I used Google Translate which did a fair job. But the article seemed to ramble a bit.
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

The Tinsmith wrote:Have you tried to reinstall them?
I just reinstalled them, and will see what happens when Nightly gets to 57.0.

There are a minuscule 2273 add-ons compatible with 57.0 at this time.
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

and as pointed out earlier here the most of the are made by jetpack and no true webextension, read comments please
https://blog.mozilla.org/addons/2017/02 ... ilestones/
(jetpck will die with v57)
sabret00the

Post by sabret00the »

I'll be sticking with Firefox. I like the direction they're heading in. Progress requires upsetting a few people being miserable sometimes.
Mouse5

Post by Mouse5 »

sabret00the wrote:I'll be sticking with Firefox. I like the direction they're heading in. Progress requires upsetting a few people being miserable sometimes.
im keeping all options open till 57 is released
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

sabret00the wrote:Progress requires upsetting a few people being miserable sometimes.
That's about as convincing as Hitler's Mum saying to her son, 'Don't listen to them, they're only jealous'.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

sabret00the wrote:Progress requires upsetting a few people being miserable sometimes.
Progress is a relative term not an absolute; FF57 is a change. Anyone who uses FF because of the ability to customize it via extensions or userChrome.css is unlikely to view it as progress.

FF 92.0 - TB 78.13 - Mac OSX 10.13.6
GHM113

Post by GHM113 »

I've been using Vivaldi as my secondary browser for a while and I have to say I am disappointed. The biggest problem for me is that you can't configure scrolling, lack of APZ support, one process per tab. I am currently using Nightly with uBO, Noscript, Tab Mix Plus and Session Manager installed and I will continue to use all these addons in Nightly as long as possible.

In the worst case I'll replace NoScript with uMatrix, Tab Mix Plus with Tree Tabs or Sidebar Tabs, Session Manager with built-in session manager and bookmarks. However, I hope Mozilla will land toolbar API before Nightly 57 ships, that will make Tab Mix Plus WebExtension possible. Session Manager won't survive, unfortunately.
Sorry for my poor English.