Which Browser for You After Firefox 57?

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
Duck_Dodgers

Re: Which Browser for You After Firefox 57?

Post by Duck_Dodgers »

RobertJ wrote:[Progress is a relative term not an absolute; FF57 is a change. Anyone who uses FF because of the ability to customize it via extensions or userChrome.css is unlikely to view it as progress.

(Strange, I replied to this earlier today, but my post has disappeared.)

I agree 100% with RobertJ's comment.
Quack! Quack!
sabret00the

Post by sabret00the »

I've been using Firefox for a very long time. I remember that I stumbled on it in the Phoenix days. Later on I came to realise it was the successor to Netscape Navigator, something I choose because I liked the look of it. As time went on and as I took more of an interest in things I became greatly interested in helping to improve the browser. To cut a long story short, I was here from the seeing the fall of Internet Explorer to seeing Chrome become the new Internet Explorer. Privacy and freedom are my highest priorities but customisation remains important to me. The fact that they're going to provide UI for userChrome.css editing is something I'm really excited about since I use the CSS for the (Smart) Bookmarks Bar and also remove the search bar on about:newtab. As long as uBlock Origin, NoScript and Decentraleyes remain working I'll be happy. It would be nice to see Tab Groups, Duplicate Tabs Closer and DownThemAll continue working but they're not show stoppers for me. I suppose if people need more than that, then by all means be angry but if not, what's the point? In terms of theming, they done the right thing, listened to the community and committed to providing theming support, but add-ons... people were moaning about needing to make add-ons e10s compatible. The browser is modernising and there are some casualties. I fully acknowledge the right of add-on developers to be pissed about converting to WebExtentions so soon after e10s compatibility and Mozilla is at fault for not launching WebExtension support at that time, which would've given add-on developers a choice of whether to go short-term e10s support or long-term WebExt support, but sadly it's human to make mistakes and while I've been very critical of some Mozilla decisions, the company and the browser seem to be heading in the right direction. I'd rather have a modern browser that's able to deal with the demands of today without excessively taxing my hardware than be stuck in the past.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

sabret00the wrote:The fact that they're going to provide UI for userChrome.css editing is something I'm really excited about
Can you contain your excitement just long enough to post the source link here to this fact?
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

to notice what i wrote before
https://addons.mozilla.org/de/firefox/s ... bextension
and was commented here:
blog.mozilla.org/addons/2017/02/16/the-road-to-firefox-57-compatibility-milestones/

result offers (currently) 226 true webextensions, thats less than 1% of all.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Frank Lion wrote:
sabret00the wrote:The fact that they're going to provide UI for userChrome.css editing is something I'm really excited about
Can you contain your excitement just long enough to post the source link here to this fact?
Still no link?

BTW, before I forget -
GHM113 a few pages back wrote:This guy confirms WebExtension Experiments will provide all the functionality that will be lost after XUL is deprecated:
https://www.reddit.com/r/firefox/commen ... s/dg9h6k0/
Guess what....https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1356521

Seems like that guy confirmed wrong, didn't he?
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
sabret00the

Post by sabret00the »

Frank Lion wrote:
My apologies, I tried to find the post and was unable to locate it. I believe it was one of the Tim's that stated it via Reddit.
GHM113

Post by GHM113 »

Frank Lion wrote:Guess what....https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1356521
Seems like that guy confirmed wrong, didn't he?
This is my problem: I believe everything people say on the internet :oops:
We have projects like webextensions experiments for cases where you want to do go beyond what the existing webextensions apis allow, we'll be communicating more about those as we get closer to the 57 release.
Fingers crossed. Toolbar API still hasn't got an assignee, WE Experiments seems to be Plan B for addons like Tab Mix Plus [-o<
Sorry for my poor English.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

sabret00the wrote:My apologies, I tried to find the post and was unable to locate it. I believe it was one of the Tim's that stated it via Reddit.
No problem, thanks for looking.
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

Checked with three of the extension developers I do Mac testing for. They said they are doing nothing until the WebExtensions API stops moving. Probably 2017-11-14

FF 92.0 - TB 78.13 - Mac OSX 10.13.6
sabret00the

Post by sabret00the »

EFF have started work on their WebExtension version of HTTPS Everywhere and it can be downloaded for testing via https://www.eff.org/files/https-everywh ... index.html
Mark12547

Post by Mark12547 »

There is a distinct possibility that at Firefox 57 I might switch back to Firefox as my primary browser. The essential-to-me extensions are likely to be available, but it is possible that some extensions I highly value but not essential-to-me won't be available and won't have a Firefox-57-compatible alternative.
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

Mark12547 wrote:There is a distinct possibility that at Firefox 57 I might switch back to Firefox as my primary browser. The essential-to-me extensions are likely to be available,
No one knows what extensions will be available and of those how lame their capabilities will be.
Mark12547 wrote:but it is possible that some extensions I highly value but not essential-to-me won't be available and won't have a Firefox-57-compatible alternative.
So........?

tonyjohn29

Post by tonyjohn29 »

I think Firefox Extended Support would help me when the add-ons will not function properly.
Tony John
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

In anticipation of FF57 have been playing around with Safari and Chrome.

Conclusions:
  1. My mother would not use Safari, maybe my grandmother (RIP).
  2. Chrome is interesting and has many extensions; however, most are lame (see below).
With FF and two extensions (Selective cookie delete & RefControl) I'm able to read news on certain sites that use a paywall that is not bullet proof. While I can find extensions for Chrome that purport to do the same things, in reality they don't. After two hours of playing with Chrome and various extensions those news sites can not be read without $$$ or £££ or €€€.

Mouse5

Post by Mouse5 »

RobertJ wrote:.

In anticipation of FF57 have been playing around with Safari and Chrome.

Conclusions:
  1. My mother would not use Safari, maybe my grandmother (RIP).
  2. Chrome is interesting and has many extensions; however, most are lame (see below).
With FF and two extensions (Selective cookie delete & RefControl) I'm able to read news on certain sites that use a paywall that is not bullet proof. While I can find extensions for Chrome that purport to do the same things, in reality they don't. After two hours of playing with Chrome and various extensions those news sites can not be read without $$$ or £££ or €€€.

i had a look at Vivaldi yesterday, couldnt find a " Bookmark Manager " to import bookmarks.html . unless its in Settings?