Which Browser for You After Firefox 57?

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
WaltS48

Re: Which Browser for You After Firefox 57?

Post by WaltS48 »

:oops: Misread the dates in the linked web page. :oops:
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

GHM113 wrote:here is a good addon that allows to configure scrolling in Vivaldi: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... fkhb?hl=en
But keep in mind scrolling fps can be affected by the tabs loading in the background!
is valid for all chromium based browsers (incl opera) - and loading dont has side effects here when scrolling.

>> uBlock Origin WE
Thats not a webextension, thats just the chromium build.

>> Session Manager won't survive
Look for "session buddy" in chrome store.

anything else you miss? at least i only miss a good tab manager like TMP, any other was replaced.
Vitesse

Post by Vitesse »

Arch5 wrote:
Vitesse wrote:
#Sun-Glasses wrote:For me: Waterfox, I am already using it.
I've also just switched over to Waterfox. I tried Vivaldi and Opera over the weekend, but found both of them difficult to adapt even remotely to the way I have had Firefox set up. I'm sure they're great if you have acres of screen space, but there seems to be no option to compact them in the way you can using CTR etc.

Seamless transition and it also means I get NPAPI plugins back. I still have Firefox installed on this and two other systems, but now have Waterfox as default on this one.
dont get used to Waterfox as it'll be changing direction to. im sure https://www.ghacks.net/2017/03/13/water ... e-browser/
Old news: https://www.reddit.com/r/waterfox/comme ... t=J26S7X20
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

major issue for all old gecko based browser - mozilla will cut down extensions very fast after v57 has been released - IMO new releases are no longer allowed since v53 released. all devs - also palemoon devs have to fix vulnerabilities or flaws themselves - no mozilla stuff or bugzilla possible. i would bet those forkes wont survive very long.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

auctoris wrote:
WaltS48 wrote:
FFman wrote:Do we know roughly when 57 will be available?
August 8, 2018, if you want a sneak preview using the Nightly. :-"

October 2018, if you want to try the Beta.

Dawn project or the end of Aurora
The official release of FF 57 is scheduled for 2017-11-14. So I assume the dates you list are your belief that it will be way off schedule.
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14745621

It really need 3 people to tell 1 guy 1 date? Less skim reading for you guys, I reckon.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
toolong

Post by toolong »

Gee Frank. Don't hold back. Tell us how you really feel. :-)
Virtual_ManPL

Post by Virtual_ManPL »

Brummelchen wrote:[..]all devs - also palemoon devs have to fix vulnerabilities or flaws themselves - no mozilla stuff or bugzilla possible. i would bet those forkes wont survive very long.
Forks developers always will be able to import patches from Firefox source code to their forks, like they always could :-",
unless Mozilla want to go close source with their new browser rewritten from scratch. :lildevil:
Virtualfox persona
Tired of constant Firefox UI changes? XUL extensions are not working anymore? Try SeaMonkey, Waterfox Classic, Pale Moon.
arandor

Post by arandor »

I don't see Frank's posts any longer since I did not find them helpful. While I have no idea what he has recently posted, apparently this is a topic he loves to hate. :-)
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

The Tinsmith wrote:Gee Frank. Don't hold back. Tell us how you really feel. :-)
You're right, of course. I really am far too reserved for my own good.

Btw guess what's going to happen on the 14th of November this year? :P

Btw2 I don't see auctoris's posts any longer since I did not find them helpful. While I have no idea what he has recently posted I guessing he ran out of things to say halfway down Page 1.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
toolong

Post by toolong »

Forks developers always will be able to import patches from Firefox source code to their forks, like they always could
I am not a programmer but I would think that fork applications and trying to add patches from the original source, which is rapidly changing, would be like trying to add car parts from new cars to old ones. means? Eventually the bolt holes no longer match.
toolong

Post by toolong »

Btw guess what's going to happen on the 14th of November this year?

Good question. My guess is that the sun will still rise in the East. Birds will still sing. Might rain. Or snow.

And this forum will explode?

But other than those, and others, the world will continue?
LewS

Post by LewS »

Might as well put my drop in the bucket.

After Fx 57 will still be using 52esr or
SeaMonkey 2.46 or 2.49esr, or all of
them.

And then no telling, but I have an advantage
over most of you guys - I'm really old so time
my make the next decision for me
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

The Tinsmith wrote:
Forks developers always will be able to import patches from Firefox source code to their forks, like they always could
I am not a programmer but I would think that fork applications and trying to add patches from the original source, which is rapidly changing, would be like trying to add car parts from new cars to old ones. means? Eventually the bolt holes no longer match.
That's right. But, it not even 'rapidly changing' or 'eventually', it will change totally on Day One.

Taking security patches designed for a non-Gecko engine and trying to throw them into a Gecko one (it does the XUL, etc. stuff) is, er, not going to work.

The Tinsmith wrote:And this forum will explode?
Take my advice and book your holidays for November, no one with any sense should be anywhere near this forum around that time. :)
arandor

Post by arandor »

I see that Frank is still posting and I still can't see what he's posting. He must be unhappy. :-)

Thanks to everyone for all of the great comments. It has been very helpful.
#Sun-Glasses

Post by #Sun-Glasses »

I believe Waterfox will survive (at least for quite some time), because:

- The dev can always use fixes the Pale Moon team puts out for the new browser they have in the making, since Waterfox and this new browser will have a very similar codebase
- Firefox 57 and beyond will use Gecko AND XUL for quite some time, even when the XUL/XPCOM add-ons have long been phased out. They have already stated that the removal of XUL/Gecko will take years.

So yeah, there is that...