Which Browser for You After Firefox 57?

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
toolong

Re: Which Browser for You After Firefox 57?

Post by toolong »

That's right. But, it not even 'rapidly changing' or 'eventually', it will change totally on Day One.
Well that does sound serious!! :-) Actually I had an idea that 'stuff' would change but no idea just how quickly.

Take my advice and book your holidays for November, no one with any sense should be anywhere near this forum around that time.
Thanks for the tip. It should be too cold to fish but maybe there will be enough snow in the Cascades to ski. :-)
toolong

Post by toolong »

And then no telling, but I have an advantage
over most of you guys - I'm really old so time
my make the next decision for me
I would not look at this in that way. Firefox just a browser.

Old guy huh? There is an old song "I got along without you before I met you I can get along without you now.
LewS

Post by LewS »

@Tinsmith - just making the point that worrying about
something further out than six months is not useful.

You paraphrased something Frank Lion posted re Australis:
"Relax, it's just a browser."
toolong

Post by toolong »

@Tinsmith - just making the point that worrying about
something further out than six months is not useful.

True. But it is a defeatist attitude.
BobbyPhoenix

Post by BobbyPhoenix »

I'll probably stick with Firefox, and see where it goes. I'm not really a power user, but I do like the way I have Firefox setup, but jumping ship to another browser would be worse than sticking with the changes for me. I look at it this way. If I switch browsers I'll need to get to know the new browser from scratch, and start new from the beginning. If I stay with Firefox I'll at least have a stable starting point to go forward from, and learn to adapt to the changes. A little off topic, but it's the same with Windows 10 for me. I see a lot of complaints that people want to stay on Windows 7, and are being "forced" to Windows 10, so they say they'll switch to Linux. Really? You'd rather give up on an OS simply because it's not the old one you are used to, and instead of going to 10, and starting from a point you can already use the OS, you'd rather start from scratch in Linux, and have to learn everything new? Crazy motor scooters!
Do, or do not. There is no try.
Kevin McFarlane

Post by Kevin McFarlane »

auctoris wrote:I'm sure the general idea of this topic has been discussed before, but I'm interested in one specific aspect. When Firefox 57 arrives and some of your essential legacy add-ons no longer function at all, to which browser will you be switching? Please provide reasons/features for the switch.
I will stick with Firefox initially, observe which extensions I currently have that no longer work and whether there are adequate alternatives or whether I can get used to their absence.
As of right now, for me, it looks like Vivaldi will be the winner. It has the most tab customization of any I have tried. When Tab Mix Plus no longer works, it looks like Vivaldi can best take its place.
I use Tab Mix Plus, but only a few of its features. The most important for me is browsing in Most Recently Used (MRU) order. IIRC isn't that now a Firefox option? I've not checked. In any case, most of the other browsers have that as an option. I have Opera, Vivaldi and Chrome installed and they all get occasional use. Chrome the more so whenever I do a web development contract. I also use it to listen to Google Play Music at work. But for general browsing Firefox is No. 1.

Otherwise, my current No. 2 browser is Opera. I use that as a "better Chrome." It has a few refinements that make it (for me) superior to Chrome.

I installed Vivaldi soon after release but I've only just started to look at it again. One barrier for me was lack of autosuggest on Google searches, but I've figured out how to do that now, so I will probably start using it more.

The chances are I won't abandon Firefox, I'll just use the other browsers more perhaps.
Kevin McFarlane

tanstaafl wrote: I'll eventually switch to Vivaldi as the Blink rendering engine causes me less problems than Gecko, the next gen version of Opera lost many of the features I liked in the original, and Vivaldi provides a lot more customization than Chrome.
Yes, Vivaldi is a good option at this point for "power" users.

Re: Chrome, even stripped back Opera is more customisable. The latter I've always regarded as being somewhat brain-dead (for my needs, anyway).
Kevin McFarlane

GHM113 wrote: Vivaldi. It offers part of Tab Mix Plus, Vertical Tabs, Session Manager, FireGestures, Multiple Tab Handler functionality out of the box.
I notice Multiple Tab Handler is currently broken in latest Firefox. I've just started playing with Vivaldi again after leaving it gathering dust for a year. +1 for the (part) multiple tab handler feature.
JOJ0

Post by JOJ0 »

Firefox for sure. Evolution needs disruption ;) Change is inevitable so better be on the edge than on the back burner. Each and every time a major roll out is coming we have a doomsday prophecies and yet it prevails.
Have fun guys.
P.S. Show some respect to distinguished developers please ...
JodyThornton

Post by JodyThornton »

Vivaldi looks promising. In fact, I came across a CSS script mod that allows tabs to go underneath the address bar. We'll see :)
Cheers,
Jody Thornton
(Richmond Hill, Ontario)
KPbIM

Post by KPbIM »

with Version 57 Firefox mutate to Chromefox. they kill the about:config modifications. this will be the coffin nail.

so I will use the ESR until most sites still work with, and then I will see...maybe time to read more paper-books :D
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

The Tinsmith wrote:It should be too cold to fish ...
Wimp. Here in Wisconsin we just drill a 6" hole in the ice and keep a supply of your favorite beverage on hand and fish.

FF 92.0 - TB 78.13 - Mac OSX 10.13.6
toolong

Post by toolong »

Here in Wisconsin
I was thinking of my trout lake up in the mountains and the 5 to 6 feet of snow there in the winter.

But back OT. After Firefox 57 I like Dan's choice. Firefox 58. :-)
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

The Tinsmith wrote:
Here in Wisconsin
I was thinking of my trout lake up in the mountains and the 5 to 6 feet of snow there in the winter.

But back OT. After Firefox 57 I like Dan's choice. Firefox 58. :-)
I dunno. I just enabled Photon in Nightly 55.0a1 and don't like what the future holds. Will see what the somewhat finished product looks like when 57.0 hits the Nightly channel. 8-[
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

FWIW I have moved to SeaMonkey. Since I can still make it look like FF it works on a number of financial sites I use that have browser sniffing and only allow FF, Chrome, Safari and that WIN thing.

FF 92.0 - TB 78.13 - Mac OSX 10.13.6