[Solved] about:config questions

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
ineuw

[Solved] about:config questions

Post by ineuw »

Is it possible to export a list of my the about:config settings? or at least the settings that I modified? Also, when I refresh Firefox, do I loose my modified settings? Thanks.
Last edited by ineuw on May 15th, 2017, 3:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Firefox 115.0.2 (default install) in Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 64 bit, updated on 2023-07-31 00:05
smsmith

Re: about:config questions

Post by smsmith »

Your "about:config settings" are stored in the file called prefs.js in your profile folder. It contains the Firefox settings you have changed from the default settings.

Yes, if you refresh Firefox, that file is replaced with a set of the default preferences.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Prefs.js_file
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.
ineuw

Post by ineuw »

smsmith, thanks for the speedy reply. Is it permissible to replace the refreshed prefs.js file with the old prefs.js?
Firefox 115.0.2 (default install) in Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 64 bit, updated on 2023-07-31 00:05
smsmith

Post by smsmith »

Yes. With Firefox closed, otherwise it gets rewritten by whatever is in memory.
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.
kreemoweet

Post by kreemoweet »

You can use Firefox's built-in Developer Tools to take a screenshot of the about:config page. Although you will be led to believe you can take a "full page" screenshot,
you will actually get only a shot of the prefs actually being displayed on your screen. Obviously, to get the whole about:config list will be a somewhat tedious process.

Pressing F12 will open the Web Console. You must enable the "Take a screenshot of the entire page" button by opening the Toolbox Options and checking the appropriate box.
Then, after loading about:config in the tab, you press the Screenshot button in the Web Console toolbar. Scroll the about:config page, and repeat . . . The .png images will be
sent to your chosen Downloads folder.
ineuw

Post by ineuw »

Thanks to both of you for the info.
kukla

Re: [Solved] about:config questions

Post by kukla »

Longer, more nuanced (aka "complicated") discussion on this subject here.

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &t=3027325