[Solved] how can duplicate bookmarks be found?

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
ineuw

[Solved] how can duplicate bookmarks be found?

Post by ineuw »

Like other sync concepts, Firefox sync has it's annoying hiccups. Recently, my ~2,500 synced bookmarks disappeared from the Mozilla clouds (must assume thate there was a tornado, or a sharknado 4?), but luckily, I kept a backup copy just a couple of days old. So, I was safe until Firefox restored (a presumed crash) and added the recovered to the current bookmarks, not not doubling but increasing it by about 50%. This is because I often edit (shorten) the descriptions, so they are not identical.

Perhaps there is a bookmark a de-duping extension that I don't know about?

I am also searching for a bookmarks sort extension that is not automatic, but sorts on demand so I can control it?

Thanks
Last edited by ineuw on June 4th, 2017, 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Firefox 115.0.2 (default install) in Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 64 bit, updated on 2023-07-31 00:05
Brummelchen

Re: how can duplicate bookmarks be found?

Post by Brummelchen »

i currently use a special build from checkplaces. the only working and up-to-date extension seems this one:
https://addons.mozilla.org/de/firefox/a ... uplicator/

it show dups but not where - and the links must 100% exact same.

i assume there exist (external) tools for de-duping but i have doubt that places were intact after usage.

no clear solution but you should create profile backups if you experienced crashes with data loss.
ineuw

Re: how can duplicate bookmarks be found?

Post by ineuw »

Brummelchen, thanks for the link, and yes, I noticed that there are minor differences in the links. I back up with Macrium on a daily basis.

PS. I am very impressed, thanks you so much.
Firefox 115.0.2 (default install) in Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 64 bit, updated on 2023-07-31 00:05
Brummelchen

Re: [Solved] how can duplicate bookmarks be found?

Post by Brummelchen »

i hope with firefox 57 are upcoming some new extensions, there exist one nice in chrome store which is also capable to search empty folders or 404:
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... hfkpmgglec

bookmark checker for Firefox
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... organizer/

lol, both a star with a checker in it. guess why :D
ineuw

Post by ineuw »

Thanks again Brummelchen. But, advertising Chrome's features on a Mozilla forum should be a no no. :-) Regardless of what caused their divorce some years ago, I remain faithful to Firefox even if Google still pays alimony, but that doesn't stop me from sneaking out and visit Chrome on occasion. IMHO they are still far behind.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

the purpose behind my answer is that chrome extensions can easily transported to firefox if there exist no solution. i found several extensions which made their way from chrome or opera to firefox and vice versa. mozilla has announced that they will extend the chrome api for webextensions. currently firefox is able to use chrome extensions after transforming them into xpi format, although the api is limited in comparison to firefox 57(servo).