Withdral Symptons from no more PLainOldFavories

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
janlafata

Withdral Symptons from no more PLainOldFavories

Post by janlafata »

I have Firefox x64 so you probably already have heard that PlainOldFavorite's will not work on Firefox 53 (My current). Believe it or not PlainOldFavorites is what I used to get me to try Firefox years ago and everything worked great, until now . I don't know if the developer is going to ever update it or not, so I'm using this time to better understand how the Firefox bookmark system works and I know that I'm doing backups correctly and all.

One big question. When you go to export a Firefox URL to either the Bookmark Menu or Other Browsers does it also bring along the set of folders with URLS from Internet Explorer? I should tell you that it's really important for me to keep tabs on just about all of my bookmarks (Or favorites) within reach but stored away in case I want to open it up again at some point. I'm really "Mr folder" when it comes down to this part of the whole bookmarking system as I put a lot of emphasis (probably too much) to this, on it, however I've had times where I totally lost some bookmarks that I had wanted to permanently keep them, however I never saw them again

Oh one more thing...I'm not all that crazy about 3rd party bookmark managers, though I'm sure I haven't seen all of them. I am trying out one called Transmute, so we'll see what that does.
dfoulkes

Re: Withdral Symptons from no more PLainOldFavories

Post by dfoulkes »

Seen this one ... and that's all I have for you...

Windows Favorites :: Add-ons for Firefox
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
kreemoweet

Post by kreemoweet »

Not too sure what you are asking, but FF bookmarks and Windows Favorites are completely separate. If you use Edge, then that is another 3rd completely separate system. Windows Favorites reside
in actual folders in the filesystem, but FF "folders" are just entries in a database file. The free version of Transmute is just a bookmark format converter, can't speak for the boughten versions.

The Windows Favorites FF extension works OK, but can be a little slow to initialize (I at first thought it was broken). EDIT: removed statement about this ext. working on Linux. It does not (at least not
without performing some strange manipulations that are nowhere set forth explicitly). Ahem.
Last edited by kreemoweet on June 8th, 2017, 10:49 am, edited 3 times in total.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

with Firefox 55 or higher you will lose 90 per cent or more of all installed add-ons. only webextensions allowed (nightly tested). and now, what are you going to do?