Error from nuisance site

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
BruceAWittmeier

Error from nuisance site

Post by BruceAWittmeier »

These errors have been showing up almost daily on another forum I visit. I have reported it through the Help menu and to the forum

administration.

It seems this is something that is "injected" either at load time with a time delay or real time after a page load. Just wondering if

anyone know anything they could share to ride this problem. It isn't too serious but a nuisance -- Esc/<F5> to refresh and close the

tab a couple times and it is gone.

I use AdblockPlus and have a few entries in a host file but other than that pretty stock.

http://i.imgur.com/wJ0o1Fd.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/11cvifh.jpg%20width=640

The site:
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/
I often take a long windy road to my destination. Upon arrival, I wonder how I missed the shortcut.
Brummelchen

Re: Error from nuisance site

Post by Brummelchen »

i already told you to install a decent adblocker, and improve your security concept. noscript alone is pointless. now you have the result.

but i think that site was hacked. change password if given.
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

Brummelchen wrote:i already told you to install a decent adblocker, and improve your security concept. noscript alone is pointless. now you have the result.
BruceAWittmeier wrote:I use AdblockPlus
BruceAWittmeier

Perhaps I should rephrase my question or what I think I know --

- It seems to occur after a brief time-delay
- I have viewed the source of the page but it doesnt seem to be the page (error message) that is the problem - that just seems to be presented to request you buy some software from them and they will fix the problem.
- Is there html calls that can inject something like this either at runtime or after a time delay? I'm not looking for the ability to do this but what might be the cause.

I don't believe it has anything to do with my login/password.

It has not happened today but was pretty regular a few days ago. It also happens to others whom also run AdblockPlus and virus programs. VirusScans reveal nothing.
I often take a long windy road to my destination. Upon arrival, I wonder how I missed the shortcut.
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

I went to that site today in Firefox 52 (clean profile). I don't see anything like your screenshots show.
BruceAWittmeier wrote:Is there html calls that can inject something like this either at runtime or after a time delay? I'm not looking for the ability to do this but what might be the cause.
Well, I notice two things -

1) The ads on that site load "after a brief time-delay".

2) I then added NoScript, allowed scripts globally, and visited the site again. NoScript complains about a XSS attempt related to the ads. And it looks exactly like actual XSS.

Seems to support what Brummelchen said: that site - or something it loads - got hacked.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

thank you barbaz,, over read it and last question wasnt clear what he uses:
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &t=3028663
sorry, Bruce!

that hardens my assuming being hacked.
the magic number is 51 and you are probably part of it :p
BruceAWittmeier

Thanks for your investigation & feedback.
therube

Post by therube »

You never said you reported it in their forums, Bogus Flash layer download.

Anyway, most likely a rogue ad (or otherwise) - on their website.
(Are there ads there? Not seeing any? But there are all kinds of "foreign domains", that could have slipped something in. Not to mention if the site itself were hacked.)
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
BruceAWittmeier

The other forum thread was Flash related and I had the issue with the red screen problem -- others experienced similar. The point is on the other forum you could just pause for a bit and all of a sudden it would refresh the page with the warning and bogus virus information.

Others experiencing the same issues also running adblockplus and other AV programs. It has not happened re-occurred for a few days so I think it must have been blocked or disappeared.