Firefox v57 will be a major disruption, why v56 an ESR?

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
impar

Firefox v57 will be a major disruption, why v56 an ESR?

Post by impar »

As the title says, Firefox version 57 will bring a major disruption to to the Firefox world, why isnt the immediately previous version an ESR?
Whats the reasoning on that?

Firefox developer edition updated itself to v55, all of the addons I use are now marked legacy, tried looking for alternatives and they arent available? Firefox addons page dont even have a filter for webextensions only addons?! (edit: scratch this, its not filtered on type of extension, its filtered by tag Firefox 57, yeah makes so sense... :roll: )
This will be a catastrophe...

Allowing v56 to become ESR would at least give time for developers to bring new APIs and addons to become more diverse and mature.
Brummelchen

Re: Firefox v57 will be a major disruption, why v56 an ESR?

Post by Brummelchen »

that question came up longer ago and that thread was imo closed. it was demanded a v59 or v60 esr. but at least with your current OS = XP sep'2017 is end of support - nothing left for XP, mopzilla declare xp support as dead.

yesterday i stated why xp is more than dead with its > 1000 not fixed vulnerability issues:
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &t=3031207

be happy with 52 esr and upgrade your OS soon please.
impar

Post by impar »

That XP system is my work system (unupgradable). My system is quite different...
James

Post by James »

The ESR is meant mainly for Enterprise and such users in mind as it is not really made for regular Firefox users in mind. They did make an exception recently as WinXP/Vista and 32-bit Mac OSX 10/9+ users are migrated to the Fx 52.0 ESR channel in order for those users to have a secure Firefox for a while still. The Firefox 52.8.0esr is scheduled for May 1st, 2018 same as when Firefox 60.0 is Released.

Versions on the ESR channel is every 7 as ESR was based on 10.0, 17.0, 24.0, 31.0, 38.0, 45.0, and now 52.0. The next major ESR will be based on 59.0 Release.
James

Post by James »

Brummelchen wrote:that question came up longer ago and that thread was imo closed. it was demanded a v59 or v60 esr. but at least with your current OS = XP sep'2017 is end of support - nothing left for XP, mopzilla declare xp support as dead.
Actually WinXP/Vista users will be able to use Firefox 52 ESR until 52.8.0esr out on May 1st, 2018. The Sumo article you are going by is outdated (Dec 2016) and incorrect as the person who wrote that Sept 2017 part at time was going by a vague comment in one bug. The same person who posted the vague comment posted a newer bug after stating WinXP/Vista support will be until 52 ESR ends. The articles on the old Kitsune platform Mozilla went back to using temporary while they fix Lithium is not really being updated. By this point Mozilla will have supported WinXP/Vista with Firefox for two years since Google dropped WinXP/Vista with Chrome back in April 2016.
marty60

Post by marty60 »

Somewhere I saw a post from a developer that depending on the user numbers of 52esr it could be extended even further past May 2018. Although I wouldn't count on it that's really the best bet for using xul for a while and even if they don't there's still almost a year. Or alternatively stay with the nightlies since xul will still be available for a few more versions at least.

They could have done themselves and everyone else a big favor had they waited until v60 so we'd have 59esr but I've also read that a lot of the developers use and prefer Chrome so they must have gotten the idea that the rest of us do as well.
James

Post by James »

By the time Firefox 52.8.0esr is out Firefox will have run on WinXP for two years since Google dropped support for WinXP/Vista in April 2016.
impar

Post by impar »

marty60 wrote:Or alternatively stay with the nightlies since xul will still be available for a few more versions at least.
:-k
marty60 wrote:They could have done themselves and everyone else a big favor had they waited until v60 so we'd have 59esr...
Yes.

Problem is there arent webextensions replacements for the "legacy" extensions I use. Geting serious concerned here. :?