Slugglish Firefox after latest update

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
therube

Re: Slugglish Firefox after latest update

Post by therube »

> "We're embarrassed..." crash message

about:crashes, the associated crash report URL?

> Another factor which may be impacting its performance is the exponentially increasing problem of background
> processes by advertisers and invasive data trackers, which hobble the browser's ability to perform its primary
> functions

Absolutely.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

cosmotopper wrote:I just spent about 20 minutes posting a message to a website, only to see Firefox disappear, leaving their "We're embarrassed..." crash message.
And the same 3rd party add-ons that make Firefox so flexible can also cause crashes. Have you tried Mozilla Safe Mode? http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode
Have you tried creating a new profile? https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/pr ... x-profiles
Azagoth

Post by Azagoth »

I'm still having the same problems. Just this minute I've had the thing stop responding when using Google maps, it just got slower and slower and more sluggish until it ended up at point where I couldn't even move the map around anymore and even clicking to close the tab took three minutes to respond. This is in both normal and safe-mode and there are no viruses or malware on the system.

Fired up Chrome, and guess what? It's like silk. It's definitely something wrong with Firefox.
James

Post by James »

cosmotopper wrote:I've been observing (and living with) this phenomenon for at least a year. The only reason I still use Firefox (or any Mozilla product for that matter), is a variety of third-party add-ons which I find useful. I just spent about 20 minutes posting a message to a website, only to see Firefox disappear, leaving their "We're embarrassed..." crash message. Another factor which may be impacting its performance is the exponentially increasing problem of background processes by advertisers and invasive data trackers, which hobble the browser's ability to perform its primary functions. Although Mozilla bills itself as a 'non-profit', the owners of Mozilla are constantly seeking out new ways to monetize Firefox and Thunderbird for their personal gain, at the expense of end-users. In short (IMHO), Mozilla has become almost as bad as Microsoft ever was in this regard. I'm actively considering alternatives.
Misinformed there especially about Thunderbird. http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... 9&t=366405
Bracken85

Post by Bracken85 »

James wrote:
cosmotopper wrote:I've been observing (and living with) this phenomenon for at least a year. The only reason I still use Firefox (or any Mozilla product for that matter), is a variety of third-party add-ons which I find useful. I just spent about 20 minutes posting a message to a website, only to see Firefox disappear, leaving their "We're embarrassed..." crash message. Another factor which may be impacting its performance is the exponentially increasing problem of background processes by advertisers and invasive data trackers, which hobble the browser's ability to perform its primary functions. Although Mozilla bills itself as a 'non-profit', the owners of Mozilla are constantly seeking out new ways to monetize Firefox and Thunderbird for their personal gain, at the expense of end-users. In short (IMHO), Mozilla has become almost as bad as Microsoft ever was in this regard. I'm actively considering alternatives.
Misinformed there especially about Thunderbird. <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... =366405</a><!-- l -->
Running Firefox 54.0.1 and this problem suddenly started happening today for no apparent reason. Read through the useful posts here but before changing any system or network settings I updated my realtek network adaptor driver. Always hard to establish cause and effect with these sorts of problems but updating the driver seems to have solved the problem for me - at least for now !