Firefox vs. Chrome, dom.storage and html5...

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
Credence

Firefox vs. Chrome, dom.storage and html5...

Post by Credence »

Recently, more and more websites use HTML5 form fields that work in Chrome but not with Firefox, forcing users to switch browsers. This could be regarded as an attempt to get rid of Firefox as a competitor to the more commercial and google-oriented Chrome.

Since this problem could be solved easily by either getting Firefox to behave the same as Chrome, or by developing new websites in compatible ways, it begs the question if there is any meddling or influence in place...

Or what else is the reason? Chromium is open source, so it should be easy to get Firefox up the same standard implementation.
Last edited by Credence on August 3rd, 2017, 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brummelchen

Re: Systematic sabotage of Firefox in favour of Chrome

Post by Brummelchen »

sorry, i cant support your impression, thats not true.

please continue here:
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &t=3031893
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

I haven't been to any sites like that. Have a link to give some credence to that claim?

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/co ... ills-forms
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5
James

Post by James »

Credence wrote:Recently...
Meanwhile you make this claim while using the old Firefox 47 that was Released June 7, 2016. So if there were updates to HTML5 stuff in Firefox since you would not see it.

You also need to give examples if you are going to make such claims.
Credence

Post by Credence »

I'm in the UK/Europe. Try this for example:

https://www.cineworld.co.uk/

Many other times I've been told by commercial websites to change to Chrome, because their input/output fields don't work in Firefox.

See also http://html5test.com/results/desktop.html

Basic I/O should be no problem for any modern browser. I still suspect foul play.
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

But your UA indicates you're not using a "modern browser'.
Chevy Chase is in Foul Play, obviously it's suspect.
PS: That link works fine.
@
Credence wrote:IMany other times I've been told by commercial websites to change to Chrome, because their input/output fields don't work in Firefox.
By whom?
Please post many screenshots.
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

Credence wrote:I'm in the UK/Europe. Try this for example:

https://www.cineworld.co.uk/
Loads fine here in FFox.
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 115.0.02 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 115.2.0/115.0.1 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

As everyone else has basically stated... it all works fine here. And as stated, you are using an old version so... who knows. You could always see what happens if you bring down a current portable version of Firefox...
Mozilla Firefox, Portable Edition | PortableApps.com - Portable software for USB, portable and cloud drives

Also... have you tried any of your problem sites while Firefox was running in safe-mode... you could be blocking needed stuff via extensions or ??

Try running Firefox in safe-mode... NOTE: This is a testing procedure only ... NOT for normal browsing.
-- On the menu bar, click the Help menu and select Restart with Add-ons Disabled....
Firefox will start up with the Firefox Safe Mode dialog. Click continue in Safe Mode and don't check any items.

Note: You can also start Firefox in Safe Mode by holding down the shift key while Single/Double clicking on the icon.
* (option key while starting Firefox on Mac).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>What safe-mode does ..... Safe Mode temporarily affects the following:
* All extensions are disabled. --- * The userChrome.css and userContent.css files are ignored.
* The default theme is used, without a persona. --- * The default toolbar layout is used.
* The Just-in-time (JIT) JavaScript compiler is disabled. --- * Hardware acceleration is disabled.

-- Safe Mode has no effect on the following --
* The status of plugins is not affected.
* Custom preferences are not affected.

This is the link to the main KB article for Safe-Mode ... but, use the above info 1st...
Safe Mode - MozillaZine Knowledge Base
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
Credence

Post by Credence »

Thanks for your help. I've tried safe mode on https://www.cineworld.co.uk/ using this FF47. Still no film display/can't choose cinema.

Following suggestions l also tried the latest FF54 on a newer laptop with same results.

Can you definitely get into the menus/film lists using FF on the cineworld site? Try select cinema, e.g. Nottingham, or see any films listed? (compare Chrome on this site).

Other examples are yahoo and gmx webmail platforms, where some menus don't work in FF. Also similar problems on my ISP's account page, and utilities (can't enter meter readings etc.)

Telephone support of these companies here generally asks you to switch to Chrome...
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Credence wrote:Can you definitely get into the menus/film lists using FF on the cineworld site? Try select cinema, e.g. Nottingham, or see any films listed? (compare Chrome on this site).
Yep, site works fine.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Credence

Post by Credence »

Frank Lion wrote:
Credence wrote:Can you definitely get into the menus/film lists using FF on the cineworld site? Try select cinema, e.g. Nottingham, or see any films listed? (compare Chrome on this site).
Yep, site works fine.
Very odd... as you can see I'm now on the latest FF, can't get any films listed. Which config setting are you referring to? Thanks
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

if safe mode wont help try a new clean profile - if that wont help its your system or other installed software. simple as that.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Credence wrote:
Frank Lion wrote:
Yep, site works fine.
Very odd... as you can see I'm now on the latest FF, can't get any films listed. Which config setting are you referring to? Thanks
If you're still getting this on the latest Firefox then the next step, before going down a new additional testing profile or about:config route, is to delete all related cookies via the Cookie Manager (in Tools>Options> whatever..) in case these sites have set cookies that have you down as a perp who uses an old or unsupported browser. Do that, restart and see if it now works.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

Credence

I see on your first posted you were using that older Firefox version and on a Win7 OS... and then your latest post indicated using Win10 and the current Firefox version... I'll assume that you posted with a different comp? ... please comment on that...if no changes to your OS then maybe that has something to do with all this.
Can you definitely get into the menus/film lists using FF on the cineworld site? Try select cinema, e.g. Nottingham, or see any films listed?
I went to Nottingham, went all around that cinema and (I think) listed about every thing in there... no issues.

What AV product do you use?
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
Credence

Post by Credence »

Resolved... tried the mobile FF54 on a stick, and the site is working. It occurred to me what the problem was: I had disabled dom.storage in about:config and this makes the cineworld site fail.

Now whether this also makes the difference with the other sites I had problems with remains to be seen.

So, for now this particular issue seems to be not HTML5 compatibility and Browser wars, as I had suspected before, but the use of dom.storage (instead of cookies), which I had disabled as it seemed sneaky to me.

I may have to allow this to gain access to modern sites, but would like to have control over such 'monster cookies' set on my computer... Is this possible?

There is (presumably) no control over dom.storage in Chrome, hence the difference. Thanks again!
Last edited by Credence on August 4th, 2017, 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.