FireFox checking on ????

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
bob c

FireFox checking on ????

Post by bob c »

Lately (last month or so), when I open FF52.2.1 esr, a small box opens and last on the screen for about 1 second. Not near enough time for me to see what it is checking on or trying to download or update. I have every possible thing I can think of shut off, so it won't download-update itself or extensions. or anything. Any way to freeze it when it does this, (does not do it everytime which makes it doubly hard), or some other way to find out what it is trying to do.

Thanks
DanRaisch

Re: FireFox checking on ????

Post by DanRaisch »

Have you tried starting Firefox in Mozilla Safe Mode? http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode
If no improvement using Safe Mode, do you have the same problem if you create a new profile and test it with no extensions or non-default themes installed?
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_Manager
and
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Creating_a_ne ... on_Windows
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

If you have this installed...
What is the Mozilla Maintenance Service? | Mozilla Support

...It may be doing that bad deed.... I uninstalled that app. from my system long ago... but some updates or ?? can sneak it in again.
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

Can you hit PrtScn and capture it?
2 Desktops--Win 7 Ult.SP1 x64/6GB RAM /Firefox 52.9ESR/Waterfox64 2022.11/Thunderbird 52.9ESR/BitWarden PW Manager/Verizon FIOS wired network
bob c

Post by bob c »

LoveMyFoxy wrote:Can you hit PrtScn and capture it?

this is why I have not posted back until right now, this morning at about 3:55 a.m. it did that again. it's almost impossible to catch, to see what the box is saying, it has been a week and a half since it did it last. it still looks like (the second it last on the screen), it is checking something, but what, since I have everything (even in about:config) turned off to do that. impossible to see, was not ready this morning after that length of time. caught me by surprise.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Did you uninstall Mozilla Maintenance Service as mentioned by dfoulkes?
bob c

Post by bob c »

DanRaisch wrote:Did you uninstall Mozilla Maintenance Service as mentioned by dfoulkes?

I never installed it to begin with--there was no line "Uncheck the box next to Use a background service to install updates." to uncheck--also to never update.
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

Not sure that we are going to find the cause... But, some time ago I got caught off-guard with that Maint-svc stuff... it came in with a normal update and had no info displayed when the update took place... funny things started happening ... like Firefox updating even though I had everything turned off... looking around this board I found others having issues... so, I opened up my Windows task manager and sure enough... that Mozilla maint-svc had installed itself... I uninstalled it...

Have you reviewed your Task manager yet?.

If it is not that process then about the only thing you can do is grab that elusive screen shot.
Last edited by dfoulkes on August 13th, 2017, 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

*You're traveling through another dimension, a dimension not only of sight and sound but of mind. A journey into a wondrous land whose boundaries are that of imagination. That's the signpost up ahead - your next stop, the Twilight Zone!*
2 Desktops--Win 7 Ult.SP1 x64/6GB RAM /Firefox 52.9ESR/Waterfox64 2022.11/Thunderbird 52.9ESR/BitWarden PW Manager/Verizon FIOS wired network
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

I never installed it to begin with
I don't recall there being any need to install it. It just came with an update. Check in the Windows Control Panel's Add/Remove Programs function. If it's listed there, remove/unintall it.