FF 55 - Close button on tabs has been removed

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
mozray

FF 55 - Close button on tabs has been removed

Post by mozray »

So just updated to Firefox 55 and found that the close button for each tab other than the active one has been removed.

Had to use an extension to fix this:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... -restored/

Is there a native way to enable the close button for tabs to be reinstated without an extension?
Aris

Re: FF 55 - Close button on tabs has been removed

Post by Aris »

I can't reproduce your issue on Fx55, but with this code you can force the close icon to be always visible on all tabs:

Code: Select all

#TabsToolbar #tabbrowser-tabs .tabbrowser-tab:not([pinned]):not([protected]) .tab-close-button {
	  visibility: visible !important;
	  display: block !important;
	}

#TabsToolbar #tabbrowser-tabs .tabbrowser-tab:not([pinned]):not([protected])[faviconized="true"] .tab-close-button {
	  visibility: collapse !important;
	  display: none !important;
	}
Add it to userChrome.css or userContent.css in your profiles /chrome/ folder (no add-on required) or to a CSS loader add-on like Stylish.
gugarci

Post by gugarci »

I just installed the 64 bit version & my close buttons are still there.
psaulm119

Post by psaulm119 »

They are there for me, too.

Perhaps the issue with the OP is that too many tabs were opened up at once? At a certain point, I believe FF does turn off that close button, to make sure that people don't inadvertently close tabs when they mean to select them.
Paul
mozray

Post by mozray »

psaulm119 wrote:They are there for me, too.

Perhaps the issue with the OP is that too many tabs were opened up at once? At a certain point, I believe FF does turn off that close button, to make sure that people don't inadvertently close tabs when they mean to select them.
psaulm119, you may be correct.

In my current session, I have roughly 100 tabs.
Aris wrote:I can't reproduce your issue on Fx55, but with this code you can force the close icon to be always visible on all tabs:

Code: Select all

#TabsToolbar #tabbrowser-tabs .tabbrowser-tab:not([pinned]):not([protected]) .tab-close-button {
	  visibility: visible !important;
	  display: block !important;
	}

#TabsToolbar #tabbrowser-tabs .tabbrowser-tab:not([pinned]):not([protected])[faviconized="true"] .tab-close-button {
	  visibility: collapse !important;
	  display: none !important;
	}
Thanks Aris, this worked for me!