Is there a way to remove the bright yellow LEGACY warning?

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
Brummelchen

Re: Is there a way to remove the bright yellow LEGACY warnin

Post by Brummelchen »

that is what i want to prevent - mozilla makes me abandon my extension so i care about and want a replacement which is currently not given. and i am not in the mood to convert the bbcode extension from chromium to firefox.
i wont rant about firefox 57 but i will rant about mozillas behavior - v57 only will survive because webextensions already have been invented.

big mouths spoke that mozilla/google/microsoft will invent an extension model which will serve all browsers - but mozilla is brewing again its own soup.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Brummelchen wrote:but mozilla is brewing again its own soup.
Translation?
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

Frank Lion wrote:
Brummelchen wrote:but mozilla is brewing again its own soup.
Translation?
I think he means that Mozilla is extending the WebExtensions API.

FF 92.0 - TB 78.13 - Mac OSX 10.13.6
c627627

Post by c627627 »

Can you post why this page doesn't give you a half-way decent ballpark idea of just changes from month to month of ESR vs. Fx54 vs. Fx55:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template: ... sage_share

Where is the actual originating page of the table that gives you an idea that roughly 2/3 of Firefox users were on the official Fx54 release in July 2017 and that 9% of Firefox users were on ESR in July 2017.
Open the pod bay doors, Cortana.
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

What's any of this got to do with "bright yellow LEGACY warning"?
Did you remove it yet?
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
toolong

Post by toolong »

mightyglydd wrote:What's any of this got to do with "bright yellow LEGACY warning"?
Did you remove it yet?

There are two easy ways to remove the "bright yellow LEGACY warning".

Find and replace the Legacy extensions with Web-Ex or remove the Legacy extensions. :-)
L.A.R. Grizzly

Post by L.A.R. Grizzly »

You could place some electrician's tape on your monitor to cover the "Legacy" icons. Just brainstorming a little...
Win7 Pro SP1 64 Bit
Comodo Internet Security
Pale Moon 33.0.2, Epyrus Mail 2.1.2, Firefox 115.8.0esr, Thunderbird 115.8.1, and SeaMonkey 2.53.18
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

And perhaps it's time to turn out the bright yellow lights on this thread. Just saying, we so far off topic.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

DanRaisch wrote:And perhaps it's time to turn out the bright yellow lights on this thread. Just saying, we so far off topic.
Well, in fairness, the opening post was on-topic and it only went rapidly downhill immediately after that.

I know what I reckon. ;)
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
c627627

Post by c627627 »

Bright yellow LEGACY was a first indication to me that something was wrong and that, and only that directly lead to info of what will happen in Fx57, and I had a lot of related questions about it.

I'm sure I am not alone and that many other regular users also only found out on the same day that I did about why yellow warnings were put up after Fx55 was relased and what's coming soon in Fx57. That opened up everything discussed in this thread, much of it was forum-appropriate discussion (or maybe it wasn't? ) and if several needed to be started about that instead of one, then okay.

But you guys knew for a long time about what was coming, regular people only found out on the day of official Fx55 release and only because of bright yellow LEGACY warnings.
Last edited by c627627 on August 13th, 2017, 4:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

and if several needed to be started about that instead of one, then okay.
No, there are already more than enough topics on the same subject. I'm just not sure there's any point in leaving this one open any longer.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

c627627 wrote:Bright yellow LEGACY was a first indication to me that something was wrong and that, and only that directly lead to info of what will happen in Fx57
And that was answered accurately and concisely just 2 posts later - http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14759511

Which is impressive for someone with only 20+ posts here to their name and a lesson to some regular members how questions in Firefox Support (which is where this thread started) should be answered.

As for the specific way to remove the warning? Well, I'm damned if I'm downloading FF55 just for that, but a 30 second Google search using the terms 'bugzilla legacy label' leads to this - https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1354682 ..which seems to be the right one. I can't see a Diff file, but glancing at it, I would say the following in userChrome.css and (maybe?) userContent.css (the Addons Manager is an inContent page and without the DOMi on it, I can't tell if you need to hit chrome or content) should do the trick -

Code: Select all

/*Franks Get Rid of Yellow Thing...*/
.legacy-warning,.legacy-warning-container {
   display: none !important;
}
...or something similar.
c627627

Post by c627627 »

Well LOL, anything to close this thread including posting an actual answer Frank? :)
Thank you very much, thank you for coming through!

I after all these years, how can you guys not be interested in seeing the numbers of where the current user base is going to go in November percentage-wise and more importantly what the drop in user base will be overall... And if you are, can you share where would you look to find that out?
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

c627627 wrote: I after all these years, how can you guys not be interested in seeing the numbers of where the current user base is going to go in November percentage-wise and more importantly what the drop in user base will be overall... And if you are, can you share where would you look to find that out?
What makes you think we are not interested? We are just not interested in making bullets for a flame war merchant to fire if you want that do it yourself
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
c627627

Post by c627627 »

Okay for personal use, which page posts statistics, not just for other browsers but what the percentage of Firefox users use ESR, and what percentage the current official version?
Google search is of little help, other than that Wikipedia page which lists July statistics but not the page source for them.
Can you share that, please.