Is there a way to remove the bright yellow LEGACY warning?

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
allande

Re: Is there a way to remove the bright yellow LEGACY warnin

Post by allande »

It does seem webextensions will be limited, especially when it comes to changing the interface.

As for the current system of extensions coexisting with webextensions, a lot of it I don't know. It isn't the support for webextensions that is killing the old ones exactly- Firefox 55 can run many of both. There was an intentional decision made by the developers to stop old extensions. Partially, the old (XUL) extensions had unrestricted access to things that could violate your privacy, or reduce stability of the browser. A lot of extensions when using multiprocess, only worked because of using "compatibility shims" which reduce performance. That is explained in the part about shims here: https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/Add ... ss_Firefox To improve performance, killing old extensions and therefore shims would be tempting to the developers. And, multiprocess working well is certainly a priority to make Firefox more competitive with other browsers.

Firefox is also changing its rendering engine, called Quantum, which takes parts from the Servo engine. Adding new code like that is bound to be easier if you don't have to worry about being compatible with the old API of the old extensions.
abcuser

Post by abcuser »

On my Firefox 55 64-bit on Windows 7 there are 11 extensions all marked with yellow LEGACY icon.
Does anyone know if there will be some update on "my" extensions or what are the alternatives for them?
If there is a new version with web-extensions will they be automatically upgraded or does it require
to manually uninstall legacy-extensions and install new web-extensions?

List of my extensions:
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

no-one knows, investigate your self:
https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/
search your extension and read the comments please. thee exists ~26.000 extension for now, others dont really have the time to inspect them all. sorry.

or read here
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewforum.php?f=48

uB will have a webextension, https everywhere will have another pendant, gestures also, but the rest will be dead i think. DTA is definitely dead. and show parent folder dont exists any longer since weeks, not available, author delete all its extensions.
allande

Post by allande »

Extensions which have a webextension with the same name, like ublock origin, should update themselves when Firefox 57 is released. For other extensions, there may be a "find an alternative" feature included in Firefox 57 to suggest related webextensions. There is a partial list of webextension replacements here https://www.reddit.com/r/firefox/commen ... cy_addons/ which also links to a longer spreadsheet. From what I recall of the list, downthemall gets download star, firegestures gets foxy gestures, https everywhere gets smart HTTPS (Revived). The others you'll have to check against the lists.
c627627

Post by c627627 »

Most "ordinary" people on other forums are *freaking out* because they are (mis)interpreting the yellow mark of death as the absolute end of the Extension they are using.

They post screen shots and every single Extension they have has a yellow mark of death - therefore would you not say that it was short-sighted, from marketing perspective, for Mozilla developers to do this in Fx55 in this particular way? Alienating and scaring people vs. legitimate attempt to warn that the end is coming for some Extensions. I don't know how I would handle it but this was not the way to go, clearly, since a lot of Extensions will be updated come November.... and there is no way for "ordinary" users to know that - all they see is the scary LEGACY warning.
Open the pod bay doors, Cortana.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

It's not like this is news. The coming end of older extensions has been discussed here and on other forums for weeks now.
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

c627627 wrote:all they see is the scary LEGACY warning.
Would you prefer this in bright RED caps..?
'This EXTENSION is no more! it has ceased to be! it's expired and gone to meet It's maker! It's a stiff! Bereft of life, it rests in peace! If you hadn't nailed it to the browser it would be be pushing up the daisies! It's metabolic processes are now 'istory! It's off the twig! It's kicked the bucket, It's shuffled off It's mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisible!! THIS IS AN EX-EXTENSION'
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
c627627

Post by c627627 »

DanRaisch wrote:It's not like this is news. The coming end of older extensions has been discussed here and on other forums for weeks now.
I really only became aware of this on the day of Fx55 release, just the other day. I can assure you ordinary users (everyone I know) still have no idea what's happening. I've been a Firefox user from 0.x Beta version, I modify my Firefox heavily, people don't follow the forums, the majority get introduced to news the hard way.

To the poster above, many of the Extensions *will be* updated by November.
That's the entire other point. People are not correct when they assume all their extensions are dead. That's the problem of the LEGACY warning, people think all their Extensions are already dead, you have multiple posts of people right here on this forum making threads about how ALL their Extensions are dead when really they are not, so that is what LEGACY warning accomplished with ordinary users. They have no way of knowing that really, a lot of extensions are in development to be updated before November and will not die.
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

Hi, Mud,
I uninstalled my old one first. When ESR expires, I'll be thinking about SeaMonkey.

c627627--
I have a more optimistic view too. Many times coders change things because they can, and just for the heck of it. Someone will be working on WebExtensions that are acceptable, although not the same, and we'll be keeping many of the old ones. HOWEVER--most of my tweaks are in userchrome.
2 Desktops--Win 7 Ult.SP1 x64/6GB RAM /Firefox 52.9ESR/Waterfox64 2022.11/Thunderbird 52.9ESR/BitWarden PW Manager/Verizon FIOS wired network
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

people think all their Extensions are already dead, you have multiple posts of people right here on this forum making threads about how ALL their Extensions are dead when really they are not,
It could have been posted in the sky in big white letters for the past year and some folks would still fail to realize that their extensions were still working (for now), even extensions like TabMixPlus which drastically modifies the way tabs are controlled or Classic Theme Restorer which changes the appearance of the UI. Those changes would still be in effect right before their eyes. But it's too easy for them to panic and run in circles like their hair is on fire, rather than evaluate the evidence in front of them.
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

Just saw a guy with his hair on fire. :-P

There is an "official" thread regarding this, but it wasn't stickied. Mightyglydd might know where it is. I don't think anyone will read the posts from the beginning anyway. There's going to be pandemonium here when 57 comes. "All you people messed up Firefox! I'm moving to another browser."
2 Desktops--Win 7 Ult.SP1 x64/6GB RAM /Firefox 52.9ESR/Waterfox64 2022.11/Thunderbird 52.9ESR/BitWarden PW Manager/Verizon FIOS wired network
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

c627627 wrote:To the poster above, many of the Extensions *will be* updated by November.
No, they will not. If you think that then you have not understood this subject at all.
LoveMyFoxy wrote: There is an "official" thread regarding this, but it wasn't stickied.
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14722346
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

L.A.R. Grizzly wrote:
c627627 wrote:Until a new browser is developed by someone else, what are the real-life implications on not updating Firefox and relying solely on anti-malware / anti-virus software for protection?
Will they be able to deal with security flaws to any extent? Firefox 56 is the last version for us, is that correct?
I've already jumped ship to SeaMonkey and I have it set up almost exactly as my Firefox. On another note, I also have Pale Moon set up to mimic my Firefox as well. When they ruin SeaMonkey, I'll move to Pale Moon.

Firefox (a few toolbar icons are missing because FX55 disabled some add-ons):

SeaMonkey:

Pale Moon:

Little resemblance to mine. Does it have to be gray? No bookmark toolbar or is that your choice?
L.A.R. Grizzly

Post by L.A.R. Grizzly »

LoveMyFoxy wrote:Little resemblance to mine. Does it have to be gray? No bookmark toolbar or is that your choice?
It's actually tan (copied from the Desert theme in WinXP). I choose not to have the bookmark toolbar showing, I use the Bookmarks dropdown in the Menu Bar instead.
Win7 Pro SP1 64 Bit
Comodo Internet Security
Pale Moon 33.0.2, Epyrus Mail 2.1.2, Firefox 115.9.1esr, Thunderbird 115.9.0, and SeaMonkey 2.53.18.2
c627627

Post by c627627 »

Frank Lion wrote:
c627627 wrote:To the poster above, many of the Extensions *will be* updated by November.
No, they will not. If you think that then you have not understood this subject at all.
Then I have not understood the subject at all.
I thought that mostly Extensions which have not been updated in a while have no chance of working in Fx 57.
I thought that of the Extensions currently being updated - that many of those will actually be updated in time for Fx57.

If you are saying many of the Extensions which have been updated in the last month for example, will not work under Fx57, then yes that's completely new information, I had no idea that many (most?) Extensions currently being developed for Fx55/Fx56 that *they* will not work under Fx57 !? That means that LEGACY mark of death is actually justified for most extensions today and that you are correct that I definitely did not understand the subject at all.

I am now completely confused as to how Firefox can survive without most Extensions?