Is there a way to remove the bright yellow LEGACY warning?

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
James

Re: Is there a way to remove the bright yellow LEGACY warnin

Post by James »

Again Palemoon is not really based on current Release of Firefox anymore with the Goanna rendering engine being used instead of Gecko and using the old 45.9.0 for UI.

The recent current SeaMonkey 2.48 Release is using Gecko 51.0 and the SeaMonkey community plans to if they can get the logistics of everything working in builds and such they will be doing Releases on the Gecko 52 ESR channel. This means SM 2.49 will on Gecko 52 ESR and will just get security and allowed stability fixes. In this case it may not be until they use say 59.0 ESR that Extensions being affected by changes in Gecko 57.0 and later may be an issue.

Also despite what many newer Firefox users may think the proper official abbreviation for Firefox has always been Fx and not FF. ;)
c627627

Post by c627627 »

They seem to have pulled it. Something probably went wrong with 55 and there'll be 55.01 soon?

Okay so thank you. When Firefox 57 comes out, the switch should be to SeaMonkey, which you say takes all Firefox extensions and only after SeaMonkey stops doing that, switch to PaleMoon.

Well if PaleMoon is Firefox independent, they are in for everyone with old extensions heading their way once SeaMonkey implements Firefox 57 restrictions.
Open the pod bay doors, Cortana.
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

c627627 wrote:They seem to have pulled it. Something probably went wrong with 55
Either that or a Bong exploded and fried the server cables.....
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

c627627 wrote:They seem to have pulled it. Something probably went wrong with 55 and there'll be 55.01 soon?

Okay so thank you. When Firefox 57 comes out, the switch should be to SeaMonkey, which you say takes all Firefox extensions and only after SeaMonkey stops doing that, switch to PaleMoon.

Well if PaleMoon is Firefox independent, they are in for everyone with old extensions heading their way once SeaMonkey implements Firefox 57 restrictions.
We should not be advocating anything especially a move to Pale Moon. People should make up their own minds.
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
c627627

Post by c627627 »

Yes, I don't know the details but I got the message that PaleMoon is the last resort.

Here's a question for you, if the criteria is continued use of our old extensions, then is there an option other than PaleMoon if SeaMonkey implements Fx 57 restrictions? If there isn't, then what are we to do, because we are not giving up old extensions just to stay on Firefox, there is no way that can happen, people with old extensions can't imagine using a browser without them.

I mean before they posted here about SeaMonkey amd PaleMoon, I was ready to just stay on Fx 56 and rely on software Antivirus and Firewall for protection instead of Firefox updates. But better updated SeaMonkey or PaleMoon then permanent Fx56.
Last edited by c627627 on August 8th, 2017, 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

c627627 wrote:Yes, I don't know the details but I got the message that PaleMoon is the last resort.
Not from anyone with a working brain
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
L.A.R. Grizzly

Post by L.A.R. Grizzly »

c627627 wrote:Okay so thank you. When Firefox 57 comes out, the switch should be to SeaMonkey, which you say takes all Firefox extensions and only after SeaMonkey stops doing that, switch to PaleMoon.
SM doesn't take all FX add-ons, a lot of FX add-ons are also written for SM, but there are some that you may find that you will have to replace with an alternative written specifically for SM.

There is also a converter for converting FX extensions to work with SM if they are incompatible. I have a couple of converted extensions running on my SM 2.48.
Win7 Pro SP1 64 Bit
Comodo Internet Security
Pale Moon 33.0.2, Epyrus Mail 2.1.2, Firefox 115.9.1esr, Thunderbird 115.9.0, and SeaMonkey 2.53.18.2
c627627

Post by c627627 »

Thank you very much L.A.R. Grizzly for that info. That's gold and will come in handy when Fx57 comes out.
L.A.R. Grizzly

Post by L.A.R. Grizzly »

c627627 wrote: Obviously I just want to use old extensions, enough to accept using devil's browser if it'll take old extensions.
Eventually, all of the old extensions that aren't ported to WebExtensions will eventually die. If there are no further updates to those extensions, eventually some changes to browsers, as they evolve, will break them. Then we will all be at a loss. Just trying to stave off the inevitable as long as possible.
Win7 Pro SP1 64 Bit
Comodo Internet Security
Pale Moon 33.0.2, Epyrus Mail 2.1.2, Firefox 115.9.1esr, Thunderbird 115.9.0, and SeaMonkey 2.53.18.2
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

(Me) Did they pull the 55 update, it was working earlier today, not now...
Aha..assuming "philipp_sumo" speaks for MozCo.. 55.0.1's due tomorrow.
https://www.reddit.com/r/firefox/commen ... pdate_yet/

Another 24hrs for those still on Fx54 (who may want to go the ESR route) to copy/backup it's Profile.
@ Don't forget to close Fx first...
Last edited by mightyglydd on August 9th, 2017, 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mouse5

Post by Mouse5 »

what were the issues with 55.0 ?
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

The yellow Legacy background wasn't bright enough...Or Lurgi struck Mozilla..
c627627

Post by c627627 »

Yes, yellow Legacy background brighter + Skull & Bones logo inserted for non-English speakers. :D

I've always had trouble finding out what was changed often even after they actually release an incremental version.
It sometimes takes them a while after actual release, to post Release Notes. I even started a thread about this once because it's the first thing lots of people look for and spend a lot of time searching Bugzilla for this info, it's frustrating to have to wait but if you ask for this, they rightly point to how that's not a priority for them, and maybe we're being ungrateful for all the hard work it takes to fix things on short notice when they have to release an incremental version...

But it would be nice to know if there's a way to search Bugzilla for this? When I enter 55.0.1, I get zero hits and can't seem to find anything using a search term "Firefox 55" on Bugzilla either.

How would you search for a legitimate acknowledged bug serious enough to pull a final release so it can be fixed in the incremental release?
allande

Post by allande »

This is one 55.0 bug with session restore that seems pretty significant and may be part of the reason for an update: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1388628
It was posted here but I don't know how it was found: http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &t=3032382
Often a bug that requires a dot version will be to fix a security problem. Most of those bugs in bugzilla require special permission to see until the release comes out.
c627627

Post by c627627 »

That makes sense, thank you for that explanation.

allande, what is the reason why the current system cannot be made to work together with WebExtensions?
The more I read about WebExtensions, the more it seems that manipulation of the browser window's interface will be extremely limited?

Since the can-do-whatever-you-want extension system that exists today is one of the best, if not the best feature Firefox has to offer over other browsers, why is it impossible to make it work together with WebExtensions?