Master Password seems useless

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
Briansdad

Master Password seems useless

Post by Briansdad »

I was getting changes to newtab, search engine, etc. without my making them so I set up a master password (MPW). Now I get 3 to 6 requests each session to enter the MPW without any explanation in the dialog box as to what I am giving the password for. I could be "OKing" just about anything - who knows what is going on. So, what use is it other than a pain-in-the-ass distraction? Please3, I want to be wrong about this, I want to be missing something that will make this work for me. does anyone know how I can make MPW work for me instead to just being a meaningless interruption?
How can we make peace if we are not peaceful?
BobbyPhoenix

Re: Master Password seems useless

Post by BobbyPhoenix »

When you enable the Master Password what happens is every new session of Firefox will require the Master Password when you first visit a site that needs a password. After you enter the Master Password on that site, and log in, you should be able to visit another site, come back to the site that needed the password, and you should not be prompted for the Master Password. If you are there is something wrong. If you have Sync enabled Firefox will prompt you when you open Firefox for the first session to sync, and then not ask for individual Master Passwords on each site you visit. I believe it's only when Sync is not enabled that you need to enter it site per site. Once you close Firefox you will need to reenter it again the next time Firefox is open. As I said it only last for as long as Firefox is open, and then resets each close/open of Firefox.
Do, or do not. There is no try.
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

Briansdad wrote:I was getting changes to newtab, search engine, etc. without my making them so I set up a master password (MPW). ...
Total misunderstanding of what the Master Password feature does and doesn't do.
A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
Briansdad

Post by Briansdad »

the-edmeister wrote:
Briansdad wrote:I was getting changes to newtab, search engine, etc. without my making them so I set up a master password (MPW). ...
Total misunderstanding of what the Master Password feature does and doesn't do.
Yes, I think you are right. disappointing though.
So, how is Master Password useful? Can't. just use autologins from saved passwords? I can see, I guess, someone might want to lock out Firefox from unwanted users, but that would be just a single enrty on startup. so, I am still missing the point of it.
How can we make peace if we are not peaceful?
therube

Post by therube »

I guess, someone might want to lock out Firefox from unwanted users, but that would be just a single enrty on startup.
Set up separate Profiles.
Put a master password on your Profile.

Your Profile won't be accessible to others.
Others won't be able to use/see your saved Passwords.

Others are able to do as they wish with their own, separate Profile.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript