pingsender what does it collect?

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
ianas

pingsender what does it collect?

Post by ianas »

I noticed a new Firefox binary pingsender.exe trying to connect to incoming.telemetry.mozilla.org (50.112.45.104) after every Firefox shutdown
I can't find any info about it in the release notes a google search only brings up basic info that it's a legitimate part of Firefox regarding telemetry as I've disabled Telemetry I don't get why I see this process
anyway I found setting toolkit.telemetry.shutdownPingSender.enabled to false in about:config disables it
if anybody has more info as to what this does and should it be left enabled please share
Grumpus

Re: pingsender what does it collect?

Post by Grumpus »

double post
Last edited by Grumpus on August 15th, 2017, 5:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

Mozilla wrote:Ping Sender
The ping sender is a standalone executable that is launched by the crash reporter client to deliver a crash ping to our telemetry servers. The ping sender is used to speed up delivery of the crash ping which would otherwise have to wait for Firefox to be restarted in order to be sent.
You can turn these off by un-checking the settings in /Tools/Options/Advanced/Data Choices.
Changing the item in about:config might not have been necessary.
There's more explanation on this site Gecko Crash Reporter
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
ianas

Post by ianas »

Grumpus wrote:double post
how is this a double post?
I did mention pingsender in a different thread but that has nothing to do with this one
Grumpus wrote: You can turn these off by un-checking the settings in /Tools/Options/Advanced/Data Choices.
Changing the item in about:config might not have been necessary.
There's more explanation on this site Gecko Crash Reporter
well not quite
this link has more info
https://gecko.readthedocs.io/en/latest/ ... ender.html
The ping sender is a minimalistic program whose sole purpose is to deliver a telemetry ping
as I have telemetry disabled this should not happen
if you had no idea what pingsender is you could have said so
TheVisitor

Post by TheVisitor »

ianas wrote:I noticed a new Firefox binary pingsender.exe trying to connect to incoming.telemetry.mozilla.org (50.112.45.104) after every Firefox shutdown
I can't find any info about it in the release notes a google search only brings up basic info that it's a legitimate part of Firefox regarding telemetry as I've disabled Telemetry I don't get why I see this process
anyway I found setting toolkit.telemetry.shutdownPingSender.enabled to false in about:config disables it
if anybody has more info as to what this does and should it be left enabled please share
Address/URL bar enter: about:config
locate pref: toolkit.telemetry.shutdownPingSender.enabled
Toggle to 'False' (not sure is browser restart is needed to activate change)

EDIT: read here about what it is: https://www.a2p.it/wordpress/tech-stuff ... ingsender/ basically as I read it, its just a means to transport data/telemetry to Mozillla to assure the data gets there. Google Firefox Pingsender , lots of links come up about what it's intended usage is.

EDIT: in Address/URL bar enter: about:telemetry there you will find what data is collected. PingSender is just a transport module to send the data.
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

@ianas - the double post was a reference to the original post I had made but edited out, not a reference to what you had or had not posted.
Frankly I was curious about pingsender since it does not appear anywhere on my system.
The item "The Visitor" provided toolkit.telemetry.shutdownPingSender.enabled does exist.
The information I provided in the link should have been good enough for the average user.
If you wish the telemetry files are stored in your profile folders and if it's that much of an issue, just delete them.
You have a nice day. :turn-l: