A few miscellaneous questions

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
lovemyfoxy

A few miscellaneous questions

Post by lovemyfoxy »

1. Necessary Plugins? I didn't install either of these.
Widevine Content Decryption Module by Google-- I have it in at least 2 browsers.
H264 Video Codec

2. Firefox is hugely complex, but I don't have an automatic junk cleaner. Can't use Ccleaner on FF and TB. I have 2 profiles. I have cache cleanup upon closing, but every few days I have to remove "datareporting" and "saved telemetry" folders, wipe "webappsstore.sqlite," wipe cookies that squeaked past my cookie manager, etc. Is there a more automated cleaner?

3. Trying to reduce my extensions. Are any of these redundant?
Ublock Origin (I know only how to remove stray ads by hand, not trackers)
Better Privacy
Privacy Badger
I already removed DoNotTrack

4. Why is there no 64-bit Firefox?
2 Desktops--Win 7 Ult.SP1 x64/6GB RAM /Firefox 52.9ESR/Waterfox64 2022.11/Thunderbird 52.9ESR/BitWarden PW Manager/Verizon FIOS wired network
Mark12547

Re: A few miscellaneous questions

Post by Mark12547 »

LoveMyFoxy wrote:4. Why is there no 64-bit Firefox?
For which platform and which channel?

I am running Firefox 55.0.3 (64-bit) and Firefox Nightly 57.0a1 (2017-08-29) (64-bit) on my Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) system. I know I was using a 64-bit build with Firefox 53, possibly earlier.

The stub installer currently defaults to installing 64-bit Firefox on 64-bit Windows. You can also download full installers from https://www.mozilla.org/firefox/all/

If converting from 32-bit under Windows to 64-bit, the easiest way is probably to download the appropriate 64-bit installer, shut down Firefox, uninstall Firefox (use the Control Panel -> Remove programs; do not use a third-party uninstaller), run the installer you just downloaded. That way the associations and paths will be correct and Windows shortcut to Firefox will be rebuilt. The installed Firefox will automatically use the same profile that was your default profile before the 32-bit Firefox was uninstalled.

That's what I did some time ago and I never looked back.

Also, sometime in the future (possibly with Firefox 56) the internal updater will replace 32-bit installs with 64-bit installs on 64-bit Windows. This will be a one-time event and after that if one had moved back to a 32-bit install the internal updater won't change it again.
James

Post by James »

Mark12547 wrote:
LoveMyFoxy wrote:4. Why is there no 64-bit Firefox?
For which platform and which channel?

The stub installer currently defaults to installing 64-bit Firefox on 64-bit Windows. You can also download full installers from https://www.mozilla.org/firefox/all/

Also, sometime in the future (possibly with Firefox 56) the internal updater will replace 32-bit installs with 64-bit installs on 64-bit Windows. This will be a one-time event and after that if one had moved back to a 32-bit install the internal updater won't change it again.
There has been 64-bit Firefox for Mac OSX and Linux since Firefox 4.0 and for Windows since Firefox 42.0 and Win64 has been listed on www.mozilla.org/firefox/all/ since.

Yes starting Firefox 55.0 Release the stub installer for Windows users from www.mozilla.org defaults to 64-bit install as said. For Windows users using 32-bit Releases will get updates to Win64 starting Firefox 56.0 Release. Those using the ESR like Firefox 52 ESR will stay using 32-bit if they have it instead of Win64.

Your useragent used to post this thread is Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/52.0 appears to be 64-bit Firefox 52 ESR?.
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

OK, didn't see that. :oops:
2 Desktops--Win 7 Ult.SP1 x64/6GB RAM /Firefox 52.9ESR/Waterfox64 2022.11/Thunderbird 52.9ESR/BitWarden PW Manager/Verizon FIOS wired network