Giving Up On Firefox/Mozilla

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
Frank Lion

Re: Giving Up On Firefox/Mozilla

Post by Frank Lion »

dfoulkes wrote:
mightyglydd wrote:IMIO the only ones burying their heads in the sand are those 'buying time' using 52 ESR.
Call it what you will...and why not use a working browser ... I moved over to ESR because I want all my extensions to work... plus... I will wait for a year or two... or until ESR messes stuff up... but by that time Firefox 57+ should start settling down... and maybe then or later when ESR kills itself... Extension devs. may have taken the time to get the extensions that I want/need... so, in the meantime I have a Moz-browser that works for me.
Sounds like a reasonable plan and certainly if I was using Firefox then I'd do the same. At the moment, the 'way forward' after 57 hits is not clear, but using 52ESR is a good place to wait it out until the dust settles, things happen/don't happen and the long term 'plan' emerges. I was mentioning that side of things the other day on the same thread, I'm going to link to in a minute.

My only concern is this - I want other people to have the same opportunity to use 52 ESR as you have, if they want to. The first time many people have even heard of all the changes coming is when they first got Firefox 55, so that opportunity is not going to happen all the time this myth persists that if someone is using Firefox 55 then they cannot then downgrade to using 52 ESR and are stuck with 55 onwards. It is a myth and a downright nasty, spiteful, smug myth at that.

Here's how it's done - http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14765039

Anyone who is familiar with the fiasco that is known as 'Firefox Refresh', will understand why I have used this method instead of Refresh and by doing so have put the user 100% back in control of things.

Enjoy.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
c627627

Post by c627627 »

dfoulkes wrote:
mightyglydd wrote:IMIO the only ones burying their heads in the sand are those 'buying time' using 52 ESR.
Telling people about 52 ESR is the best way to help them, especially on the day of Fx57 release, it'll give them time to figure out what they want to do.

Also if people plan on staying on Fx56 for the foreseeable future, they should be told that Fx52 ESR is a better choice because of all the extra security updates over Fx56.
Open the pod bay doors, Cortana.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

"they should be told that Fx52 ESR is a better choice because of all the extra security updates over Fx56."

Please explain why you believe the ESR gets extra security updates. I haven't paid attention to ESR (other than the frequent references to using it to delay having to deal with changes to extensions) and this seems counter-intuitive. Are these extra security updates for stuff that has been removed in 56?
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

From my understanding ESR's get normal security updates and old versions get none.
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

malliz wrote:From my understanding ESR's get normal security updates and old versions get none.
Yep.

For example, here's the stuff for the latest version of 52 ESR - https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/security/ ... sa2017-19/ That lot would also be applied to the current Firefox Release version, but not to, say, Firefox 53....and so on... 52.70 ESR gets similar stuff applied to it that Firefox 59 gets and meantime, Firefox 56 stays as it was at the point of Firefox 57 release.

tl;dr? - ESRs get normal current security updates and old normal versions get none. :)
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)