Cannot log in to Barclays online banking

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
Beachcomber21

Cannot log in to Barclays online banking

Post by Beachcomber21 »

Over the past few days I get this error message when trying to log on to Barclays online banking at this url https://bank.barclays.co.uk/:

Your connection is not secure
The owner of bank.barclays.co.uk has configured their web site improperly. To protect your information from being stolen, Firefox has not connected to this web site.
This site uses HTTP Strict Transport Security (HSTS) to specify that Firefox only connect to it securely. As a result, it is not possible to add an exception for this certificate.

This is happening with three different computers all running Windows 7 Professional and Firefox version 55.0.3 in both 32 and 64bit and it also happens in safe mode. I have tried to add the url as a security exception manually but this does not work either.

I have contacted Barclays who's best advice was 'use another browser'. This did not please me but I have to admit that I can can actually log on using other browsers but that's not the point.

Could you please confirm if this is a known problem with Firefox with this particular site or is it definately a problem with Barclays. If, as the error message says, 'The owner of bank.barclays.co.uk has configured their web site improperly.' I will keep on at them until I get a satisfactory answer and make them configure it properly.
DanRaisch

Re: Cannot log in to Barclays online banking

Post by DanRaisch »

Could you please confirm if this is a known problem with Firefox with this particular site or is it definately a problem with Barclays.
Well, since we would need a user ID and password to log in, only another Barclay's customer would be able to test that.

Have you tried to clear the browser cache (use menu path Tools->Options->Advanced->Network tab->click on "Clear Now" button.)

Also, delete any cookies relating to the site(s) involved (Tools->Options->Privacy->Firefox will "Use custom settings for History"->Show Cookies button).
Beachcomber21

Post by Beachcomber21 »

Thanks for your reply.

I could not even get to the login page. The error message showed as soon as I clicked to the link but now it is working again on all three computers without any further input from me. Maybe they have resolved the problem as a result of my online chat.
Mark12547

Post by Mark12547 »

I just tried it with Nightly 57 (no issues) and the release version 55.0.3 (connection not secure).

To get it to work with 55.0.3, I had to click on "Advance", and then "add exception", then "confirm security exception".
Beachcomber21

Post by Beachcomber21 »

Thanks. That didn't work for me but if the problem recurs I will try it again.
efox99

Post by efox99 »

I remember one time I had the same issue with my bank site and it turned out to be my Avast Anti-virus causing the issue. I had to go to Avast webshield and uncheck "enable HTTPS Scanning".
Beachcomber21

Post by Beachcomber21 »

Yes, I use Avast. The web site is working at the moment but I If get the problem again I will add Barclays to the exception for URL scanning. Thanks very much.