Is there any thought to keeping the old FF System some how?

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
c627627

Re: Is there any thought to keeping the old FF System some h

Post by c627627 »

Whoever is working on whatever project that offers us continued use of Extensions and modifiability has nine to ten months to get a half-way stable product ready.
A month after ESR 52 reaches end of life, if a third party project offers better security patches than existing ESR 52 and if it keeps Extensions working, then that's the time and reason why we would consider switching, as long as the product is half-way stable.

If we value Extensions and total modifiability over security, then that's a matter of our personal choice, right or wrong.
Open the pod bay doors, Cortana.
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

Who's WE and US !!? ](*,)
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

Our community of Mozillazine users.
2 Desktops--Win 7 Ult.SP1 x64/6GB RAM /Firefox 52.9ESR/Waterfox64 2022.11/Thunderbird 52.9ESR/BitWarden PW Manager/Verizon FIOS wired network
efox99

Post by efox99 »

Frank Lion wrote:
efox99 wrote:
tmcd wrote:I like the old Firefox from before this new "revision" (not sure what to call it) ....
I'm curious, specifically which old Firefox version you want to keep forever? :lol:
As you can see at the bottom of the post, the guy is posting here using Firefox 47. Chances are they meant that.

I'm curious, why specifically did you want to know that?
I just noticed at the end of the post it does show the Firefox version. I been here long enough and never bothered to look at that. :oops:

I was also curious because I can't recall in the past which old version was the faster. I'm currently using the latest 55 and I find it smooth. Wish it was much faster though (only using two extensions). :D
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

Where's the OP? :roll:

I refuse to join Reddit, a social networking site in disguise, to keep my eye on what's going on in Waterfox. That's not exactly a support site. Mzine has served me well for many years, the regulars are knowledgeable, and I'll stay with the browsers here.

...and I'll worry about it next summer.
2 Desktops--Win 7 Ult.SP1 x64/6GB RAM /Firefox 52.9ESR/Waterfox64 2022.11/Thunderbird 52.9ESR/BitWarden PW Manager/Verizon FIOS wired network
c627627

Post by c627627 »

LoveMyFoxy wrote:...and I'll worry about it next summer.
Exactly. Agreed. Sitting back and watching options sort themselves out, then seeing what they are in June of 2018 is the way to go.
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

Changes according to Mozilla Release Calendar seem to show way before June of 2018.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
c627627

Post by c627627 »

This table clearly shows Firefox ESR 52.8.0 expiring June 26, 2018:
https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/o ... tions/faq/

This means that in July of 2018 we make the decision to stay with Firefox ESR 52.8.0 [which is compatible with old Extensions] into July 2018 and beyond, or see what other options are there.
Since things will change so much, and since we don't need more than a month to "adjust" to something else, it's by June 2018 that anyone else working on anything else needs to get it done by.

Of course, weighing to give up modifications for faster new Firefox in July of 2018 will definitely be on the table. But my Firefox profile has always been so perfect, I don't find I need speed or anything else. Just being able to modify everything on my personal profile at the expense of security.
But until July of 2018, there is zero reason to leave Firefox.
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

I'm not seeing "leaving Firefox" as a global consensus, seems premature and ESR is not the primary object.
Besides accommodations have been made with some extensions going for the webext in the stable release.
Prudence should pull the earlier dates and not get caught in a backwater with a less then condition, even if ESR's are still comfortable.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

I believe the OP has left the building.
c627627

Post by c627627 »

On that point, I wish somebody would post about a scenario of using a June 2018 version of Firefox and what the dangers are a year later if you use a year-old Firefox but still have quality Antivirus/AntiMalware/(software/hardware)Firewall installed.
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

c627627 wrote:On that point, I wish somebody would post about a scenario of using a June 2018 version of Firefox and what the dangers are a year later if you use a year-old Firefox but still have quality Antivirus/AntiMalware/(software/hardware)Firewall installed.
Can you save it for next summer?
c627627

Post by c627627 »

Well can I rephrase the question, a year and seven days ago Firefox 49 was released.

What major security holes have been discovered from Firefox 49 to Firefox 55, that would make quality Antivirus/AntiMalware/(software/hardware)Firewall unable to deal with them on systems using Firefox 49 today?
EDIT: Here's the list https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/security/ ... s/firefox/
But my question is how any of these today affect a Firefox 49 system that also has other protection?
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

Grumpus wrote:Changes according to Mozilla Release Calendar seem to show way before June of 2018.
There has always been a two version overlap of ESR releases before the users are updated to the next ESR.

That calendar shows 52.7 and 59.0 being released in March, 52.8 and 59.1 being released in May and all users of 52.8 and 59.1 will be updated to 59.2.0 in June.

Show unless the user wants to download 59.0 in advance, they are good until June.
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

Besides firewall and A-V, I also run MalwareBytes Anti-Exploit and BD Anti-Ransomware resident. I used those 4 on Win XP for 3 years after updates ended, and kept it safe.