I Don't WANT Yahoo

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
Nofsdad

I Don't WANT Yahoo

Post by Nofsdad »

Got up this morning to find that my home page and search engine had been set to Yahoo. I'm assuming this is due to an update or something? I do not like Yahoo, any part of , especially it's policies on email and privacy and don't want to deal with it. Is there any way I can prevent this from happening?
TheVisitor

Re: I Don't WANT Yahoo

Post by TheVisitor »

Nofsdad wrote:Got up this morning to find that my home page and search engine had been set to Yahoo. I'm assuming this is due to an update or something? I do not like Yahoo, any part of , especially it's policies on email and privacy and don't want to deal with it. Is there any way I can prevent this from happening?

In the address/url bar enter or copy/paste: about:preferences#search

Change your defaults there...
Grumpus

Re: I Don't WANT Yahoo

Post by Grumpus »

You can also remove it from about:config. (Note: Keep a written record of what you change)
Since it's the number one selected by default and a content provider, look at the other search engine items in about:config.
Replace the Yahoo ones with whatever you wish or right click and hit Modify and blank the string in the item. (Reset from the right click will replace it)
Be careful of the syntax, make sure it's exact for the replacement.
You can also search your system for the actual search engine file and either delete it or remove it to an archive folder in case you change your mind.
Since Verizon now owns Yahoo you might consider your Verizon connections to disallow any re-installs or other questionable actions.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you