ff 57 is dull

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
Suze

ff 57 is dull

Post by Suze »

I find FF57 dull & boring no color no pizazz makes it a little difficult to find anything
everything is boring gray including all icons and bookmark folders [-(
Suze
Omega X

Re: ff 57 is dull

Post by Omega X »

Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Suze wrote:I find FF57 dull & boring
Luckily for you, Mozilla thought of that - https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... ng-up-ros/
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

Hmm... other than the default dark theme all the AMO Black skins (I've tried a bunch) don't color the toolbars much...they are remain a very dull and boring gray.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... ack-15433/
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
efox99

Post by efox99 »

Frank Lion wrote: Luckily for you, Mozilla thought of that - https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... ng-up-ros/
:lol:
Suze

Post by Suze »

my icons are so small and very little color its hard to fine them under the designs
Suze
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

Suze wrote:my icons are so small and very little color its hard to fine them under the designs
If you don't like the Default theme using the Light theme.

Menu button > Add-ons > Themes. Also accessible through Customize.
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5
Kyliefan001

Post by Kyliefan001 »

It's not the themes it's those boring buttons!
Hopefully that will be addressed soon!
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.2.11) Gecko/20101012/3.6.11
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

Chez Bland ?
ichthyosaurus

Post by ichthyosaurus »

Not that it's anything major, but is there any way to make the tab corners round, as they were?

Thanks.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

ichthyosaurus wrote:Not that it's anything major, but is there any way to make the tab corners round, as they were?

Thanks.
Yeah, this stuff is pretty easy to do.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

mightyglydd wrote:Hmm... other than the default dark theme all the AMO Black skins (I've tried a bunch) don't color the toolbars much...they are remain a very dull and boring gray.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... ack-15433/
Yeah, the skins are overlaid with a white near transparent image, so they are always going to appear washed out/grey.

Overall, on the much hyped Firefox 57, we have by default a theming 'style' that goes back to the 1990's and makes no attempt to actually theme or style anything. Large slabs of plain colours, large square cornered tabs, all in a very tasteful post-USSR utilitarian type style.

Instead, it relies on Emperor's New Clothes in the user's mind to convince themselves that they are looking at something new and different. This is actually not a bad move as Mozilla have historically shown themselves incapable of producing good themes, compared with the competition. No idea why, maybe they are just too geeky or something. At least this retro move allows them to pretend to be being innovative and let the user's mind do the rest. i.e. the no nonsense square cut tabs suggests the idea of speed and efficiency in the minds of the gullible, even if it's based on nonsense.

Technically, as far as the skins (Personas) are concerned, what they've done is to put the skin on the UI toolbox and then overlay the active tab, nav bar, bookmark bar with that slab of near transparent white, so that only the Menubar and inctive tabs show the original look of the skin. Fine, but that does mean that most of the UI is going to look milky. The inactive tabs then get on hover, as do a lot of other bits on hover, of an even more transparent white, just to show they are being hovered over.

Usually, if you want to economise effort and do this sort of effect then you'd do it using linear gradient backgrounds for the interesting effects, but not normally across such huge areas. For example, the tabs on my SM themes are done like this and it is that which gives them that 3D look.

Here though, flat slabs of milk have been overlain deliberately (either using white plus the alpha channel or even maybe using the much discredited opacity!) Anyone who pretends that using linear gradient coding uses more resources or slows stuff down is an outright liar, so this is a deliberate look for sure.

However, for as long as userChrome.css exists (and I think they will pull it out of spite within a year) then so can an entire Complete Theme. Thanks in no small part to the new method of writing/coding these, which Mozilla totally overlooked preferring instead to spend time and effort continuing to badmouth the concept of real themes in preferences to their pre-school created skins.

I very much doubt that any future Complete Themes thus created will ever find their way into the public domain, but yeah, they can still, as experiments have shown, be created easily enough.

Incidentally, in other news, now that the conversion of AK2 to SeaMonkey and Thunderbird was done back in the late spring, I thought I'd convert this one to them next - http://franklion.co.uk/GEN-LINKS/Sn0569.png

(a picture at the end always livens up an otherwise somewhat dull post. :))
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

I'm wondering if they've done brainwashing research to see which colors, shapes and animation dull the senses and make users malleable :P
Remember MozCo have alluded to some kind of 'skinning' on the way, want to bet it's a clone of Vivaldi ?
Reckon you're right about .css, anything that takes away their control will be exterminated...I'll bet it's being discussed in the cone of silence right now.
@ML 300 looks great! Nudge nuge ;) ;)
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

Nope they are just following the "flat" look trend. Win Ten looks like its been run over by a steam roller
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"