Would be nice if they would ASK.....

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
Xaelai

Would be nice if they would ASK.....

Post by Xaelai »

So they knew that FF57 would break a Lot of Addons, and yes they gave you prior warning that this would happen..... but yet for some weird reason, they decided to make it AUTOMATICALLY INSTALL without ASKING you if you wanted it installed.

So great. I'm sitting here without NoScript, and if I had the choice, I would have told it to wait because I did not want this newest update right now.

But no, it automatically installed without even asking me. One minute I was using the previous build and then I closed a browser, played a game, got done, opened the browser and "YOU GOT FF QUANTUM!" and I'm like "......seriously? Thanks for asking me if I wanted that...."

If you're going to break addons, how about not auto-installing it, mmh? That just seems like common sense to me.

And why does the DEVELOPER edition of FF57 allow legacy addons but the normal version that everybody else gets doesn't?

Just seems like a stupid way to handle it all the way around.
GHM113

Re: Would be nice if they would ASK.....

Post by GHM113 »

NoScript compatible with FF57 will be released before the end of the week: https://twitter.com/ma1/status/930613057184763905
What about legacy addons in Developer Edition..
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.c ... 413413#c16
Regardless, support for non-bootstrapped legacy extensions is being removed from the add-on manager and other parts of the platform. It's a huge maintenance burden, and we can't continue to support it just for the sake of Thunderbird.
Sorry for my poor English.
Xaelai

Post by Xaelai »

Yes, well, it would have been nice if FF would have ASKED me if I wanted to update right now. I would have said no until the new NoScript was available. See, this is why if you're going to break a lot of addons, you ASK instead of automatically installing.

Common sense 101.

Some people might have NoScript, or other addons they do not want to lose suddenly with the snap of the fingers without even being asked if they want it.

And yes I am aware that NS will be ready "by the end of the week", but you know.... it's not ready NOW.

Not having NoScript is a rather large security issue. I'm vulnerable to malicious scripts between now and whenever NS10 gets released, all because they didn't see the need to ASK if I wanted the newest FF installed right now. I really don't want to have to uninstall my FF, and reinstall another version of FF or a whole nuther browser just to maintain security. I shouldn't have to.

I Should have had the option to NOT install Quantum until my chosen Addons have been updated.
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

Xaelai
Unless my portable version of 56 and 57 are different that installed versions you should see in Options and area where you can control how Firefox updates... have you checked that?
If you're going to break addons, how about not auto-installing it, mmh? That just seems like common sense to me.
...also, we are not part of Mozilla... some into on that is on the RHS of this forum.
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

And why does the DEVELOPER edition of FF57 allow legacy addons
are you a developer? if not - please SU.
for reason it is call "developer edition" and not "regular for users"
and one thing is fore sure - the possibility to use legacy extensions will disappear because the code behind will disappear.
but a developer using the developer edition wont ask such silly things.

to read
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/about
Add-ons help you modify and personalize your browsing experience
The add-ons listed here are created by thousands of developers and theme designers from all over the world, ranging from individual hobbyists to large corporations.
Mozilla's official site for discovering and installing add-ons
mozilla never set claims about addons, only being the official site for addons which are created by others.
it was YOUR personal decision to change YOUR personal experience with firefox when install extension.
to blame the authors which did not act right in time - webextension and Nov'14 was announced a year ago. much time to react.

whatever you complain about, not our problem.
Alfred Neuman

Post by Alfred Neuman »

You could have set up your options to be asked if you wanted to update.
Do you often feel that you must be from another planet, or wish you were?
Sugoi

Post by Sugoi »

Xaelai wrote:So they knew that FF57 would break a Lot of Addons, and yes they gave you prior warning that this would happen..... but yet for some weird reason, they decided to make it AUTOMATICALLY INSTALL without ASKING you if you wanted it installed.
As Alfred Neuman pointed out, It's auto update because you didn't change the respective option...
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

Alfred Neuman wrote:You could have set up your options to be asked if you wanted to update.
Yeah, but that preference isn't 100%. On the first launch each day if the user happens to hit the keyboard or open a hyperlink in the first minute or two as Firefox is opening, the notification window that an update is available can go unseen by the user as the window focus can be shifted back to the main browser window all too easily and the notification would then be hidden behind the main browser window.

That happened to me almost daily when I was testing Nightly Firefox 3.0 (June 2008 release of 3.0) when the automatic update scheme was being tested many months prior to release of 3.0 (probably happened to me in the late summer of 2007). That drove me crazy until I figured out what was causing Firefox to ignore the Check for updates, but let me choose whether to install them. preference that I had selected. And now with Windows 7 and later where all the open windows for a program process are all somewhat 'tiled' on one icon in the Windows Task Bar, the user won't even see the separate notification window on the Task Bar.

Without a user response to that notification dialog within 60 seconds (or less now now-a-days) Firefox will just go ahead and download the update. Right, wrong, or indifferent - that is the way Firefox works with regards to that ... let me choose whether to install them. preference.It isn't very "user friendly" and doesn't work as a "normal user" would expect.

Plus with that pref if the user happens to open Help > About Firefox that will launch the check for an update, with no way to stop the update installation if one is available.

Then there is the Mozilla Maintenance Service "feature". That could "force" an update whenever Firefox is running. Mozilla has somewhat of a "remote control" over that feature; when they decide to turn it on on their servers, they can force an unwanted update upon unprepared users.
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/wh ... ce-service
Not sure if selecting Never check for updates ... will ignore the MMS or not. Not long after MMS came about a few years ago, I got caught by an unwanted update in a Profile that I rarely used. So I got in the habit with every new Firefox installation that I did to remove the two files in Firefox program files for the 2 "updater.exe" processes I saw - before I would open Firefox for the first time. (BTW, I don't use either of the installers. I extract the files needed for Firefox to make Firefox like a Zip-archive build. Once all the files are extracted, then I delete those "updater" files.) I have never wasted my time with disabling MMS per that support article. When MMS was first instituted there was no way to disable it, so I just ripped it out by its gonads!
A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
therube

Post by therube »

When you go to install an extension now, you're presented with dire warnings (no explanations, only warnings) of what it can do.

But as a "regular" person, "just" using their browser, there is no "dire warning" when an update has the potential to greatly impact, change, (diminish?), one's browsing experience?

(I should actually try it, let 56 update to 57. But then I already know what will happen, I will crash prior to fully loading. Maybe I'll try...? Then I can drop a crash report URL here ;-).)
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
therube

Post by therube »

I already know what will happen, I will crash prior to fully loading. Maybe I'll try...? Then I can drop a crash report URL here ;-).
Uh, sorry, I did load, & no crash.
Well color me a bit surprised about that. (Now I've got to wonder if I can load 56 in the same manner?)
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
therube

Post by therube »

56:

noscript
flashgot
downthemall
autocopy 2
add-ons version number
ublock origin
tab stats

e10s, disabled, due to Legacy extensions

49 windows
50 tabs loaded (from Session Restore)
~1000 tabs total (5: about, 571: http, 503: https, ...)

load & "settle"
~2:min, ~10% CPU, 2.2 GB RAM

------------

57:

disabled extensions:

noscript
flashgot
downthemall
autocopy 2
add-ons version number

enabled extensions:

ublock origin
tab stats

e10s are also enabled

load time, CPU, RAM, are more difficult to determine
but look to be comparable to 56

CPU used was more - during load (cause of multiprocess)
CPU "settled" may be a touch more (harder to determine, quantify, with multiprocess)
RAM was close enough

------------

I had expected pages (& even some content) to load & load & load, unending, until I hit some sort of OOM (out of memory) related condition, at which point I would have crashed, but that did not transpire. (Again will be interesting to see how 56 works under same circumstances - guessing it may in fact react similarly.)
James

Post by James »

The NoScript author has released a new webextension version https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addon/noscript/
abcdefg12345

Post by abcdefg12345 »

Alfred Neuman wrote:You could have set up your options to be asked if you wanted to update.
Unfortunately the options in the settings don't work and didn't stop the update. As I just found out. Disabled all updates a two weeks ago to avoid the inevitable frustration of Mozilla borking all my extensions.

But they are so damn set on making using FireFox a PITA that they ignored my settings so they could bork the extensions again. And I'm not the only one. I was so glad that Mozilla finally stopped the extension breaking madness that drove 80% of their user base to Chrome within a few months. Will they never learn?

We use Firefox because of the add-ons/extensions. We don't use the extensions because of FF.

Unfortunately the new NoScript version is bugged and the UX is abysmal.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

We use Firefox because of the add-ons/extensions. We don't use the extensions because of FF.
Speak for yourself.
abcdefg12345

Post by abcdefg12345 »

I speak for myself and the millions who switched to Chrome once Mozilla made it policy to break add-ons every week. Those who do not learn from history are damned to repeat it.