new window to new tab

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
bob c

new window to new tab

Post by bob c »

FF57. under the options/general/tabs, when putting a check in "open new windows in a new tab instead", what exactly does this do? I do not get a new tab, I get a new window in an old tab. I get many windows under the same old tab. I should get new windows/many with new tabs/many. But I don't. So what does it do? As it suggest, I should not have to hold down a ctrl key to make it work.
smsmith

Re: new window to new tab

Post by smsmith »

It means that if you were to click a link and that link was coded by the website to open a new window, it would open a tab instead. I believe it also means that if you open a link in an external program (mail, calendar, whatever), it would open as a new tab in the window you already had open instead of making a new window.
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.
bob c

Re: new window to new tab

Post by bob c »

Thanks--sure need the TMP, I used it all the time. Wish they would have incorporated it into this one, I like what they have done so far. I already have mine colored/menus/toolbars/tabs etc, every where like FF ESR, all my BM's are on the toolbar, this looks like FF ESR now. If they read any of these, the reason I want TMP, if I'm in my brokerage account, I click on a page to see it, I get it in a new tab with the main page still in the other tab. I can do this for all our accounts, switch back and forth to see the pages/tabs, to compare figures etc., I can have 15 tabs open there, never having to hold anything down or do anything but click on the page I want, and it opens new tabs for me. Guys, you reading this, I like your new browser, add this in and make it even better.