Consensus on 57?

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
pintassilgo

Re: Consensus on 57?

Post by pintassilgo »

Didn't notice difference from 56 to 58 (yes, I skipped 57).

The real difference was when I enabled e10s on 56 (and disabled compatibility shims to ensure 100% e10s).

It is worth saying that I keep the same extensions from 56, so my profile remains virtually unchanged.
Patch2

Post by Patch2 »

The new Quantum interface adds a unified address / Awesome bar (and leaves a now redundant optional search bar) but removes the dedicated address bar functionality.

Other browsers such as Chrome do not provide this functionality as Google's corporate aim is to monetize every user click, maximising corporate profit at the expense of user privacy. Phone browsers do not provide the functionality due to space constraints.

A dedicated URL address bar is a more secure and private way to got to a URL in a web browser. It was a valuable Firefox feature.
Hopefully the functionality will be restored but I suspect I will need to change to browsers. Maybe Pale moon, or SeaMonkey will provide private secure browsing rather than just lip service to the concept.
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

Patch2

It is still possible to have a dedicated address bar and a separate Search Bar - but Mozilla hasn't fully documented how to accomplish that and didn't build that in to a "one click" preference in Options. I have seen a posting by cor-el over that the official Firefox support forum about how to do that, but no user over there has thus done it completely or grasped what it accomplishes.

Personally, I am not using Firefox 57 seriously - just piddling around with it until the "dust settles" and Firefox 60 or 61 come out. By then we should more API's available for extension developers and Mozilla fixes some of the "niggles" that really upset users. Firefox is not fit for any but "early adopters" to use, IMO.

A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
efox99

Post by efox99 »

the-edmeister wrote:Patch2
Firefox is not fit for any but "early adopters" to use, IMO.
I disagree. I'm using Ublock and Noscript and I'm browsing just fine. :)

I'm not an early adopter. It's just that FF57 runs smooth as ice and looks cooler. :D

No offense you are entitled to your opinion...it's just not the facts.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

efox99 wrote:No offense you are entitled to your opinion...it's just not the facts.
Get over yourself, your opinions are not the facts...it's also just your opinion.

If it's facts you're after, try this one -
efox99 wrote:Consensus? It's magically delicious.

I lost all my about:config settings. I was on 52 ESR and upgraded to FF57 and it refreshed and I lost everything except bookmarks and passwords.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
efox99

Post by efox99 »

Frank Lion wrote:
If it's facts you're after, try this one -
efox99 wrote:Consensus? It's magically delicious.

I lost all my about:config settings. I was on 52 ESR and upgraded to FF57 and it refreshed and I lost everything except bookmarks and passwords.
But I also lost the settings because I installed a legacy addon (Github Agent Spoof Paranoia Addon Crap) and when I removed it, it didn't revert back the original settings. :D

So for the sake of non-argument let's just say there is no wrongs or rights.
MdniteEagl

Post by MdniteEagl »

Earlier this year, I was using SeaMonkey 2.46 and getting a lot of RAM lockup that required Task Manager to clear. Switched to FF52 ESR, and it was fine for a few months, then it started similar behavior with RAM overloading and lockup. Beginning of September, I opted for Chrome, and have been using it without issue for three months. Only missed some minor features that I could either live without or easily get around.

Decided to give FF57 a reasonable opportunity today. Imported bookmarks from Chrome, which was seamless, made sure critical websites (banking, etc.) opened properly, and while I haven't spent much time with the new Fox yet, it seems to look and behave very similarly to Chrome, so I don't expect much in the way of a re-learning curve. I will give 57 the rest of the week, then I'll decide whether to stay or go back to Chrome. Mind you, Chrome has not caused a RAM crash once in the three months it has been my default browser. If FF57 doesn't have the same RAM issues I was having with SM2.46/FF52ESR, then I'll probably stick with it. We'll see.
Tower: HP EliteDesk 705 G3 - Win 10 Pro - AMD Ryzen 5 Pro 1500 - 64GB (4x16GB) 2133MHz DDR4 - Fox 77.0.1/TB 68.9/Edge 83.0
Laptop: HP ZBook 17 G4 - Win 10 Pro for Workstations - Intel Xeon E3-1535M - 64GB (4x16GB) 2400MHz DDR4 - Fox 77.0.1/TB 68.9/Edge 83.0
efox99

Post by efox99 »

MdniteEagl wrote:Earlier this year, I was using SeaMonkey 2.46 and getting a lot of RAM lockup that required Task Manager to clear. Switched to FF52 ESR, and it was fine for a few months, then it started similar behavior with RAM overloading and lockup. Beginning of September, I opted for Chrome, and have been using it without issue for three months. Only missed some minor features that I could either live without or easily get around.

Decided to give FF57 a reasonable opportunity today. Imported bookmarks from Chrome, which was seamless, made sure critical websites (banking, etc.) opened properly, and while I haven't spent much time with the new Fox yet, it seems to look and behave very similarly to Chrome, so I don't expect much in the way of a re-learning curve. I will give 57 the rest of the week, then I'll decide whether to stay or go back to Chrome. Mind you, Chrome has not caused a RAM crash once in the three months it has been my default browser. If FF57 doesn't have the same RAM issues I was having with SM2.46/FF52ESR, then I'll probably stick with it. We'll see.
Firefox Quantum is a much better browser than Chrome. The extensions of Firefox are much better than Chrome's.
MdniteEagl

Post by MdniteEagl »

efox99 wrote:Firefox Quantum is a much better browser than Chrome. The extensions of Firefox are much better than Chrome's.
Extensions don't concern me at all - I use exactly one on both browsers. Fox57 also uses a lot more RAM than Chrome... opening the product page for the wireless antenna I use with my tower showed 875MB in use by Fox in Task Manager. Same page in Chrome uses 135MB. No excuse for that whatsoever, other than running too many procedures in the background. Screen presentation is exactly the same, so there's a whole lot of traffic going on in Fox for reasons known only to Mozilla.
Tower: HP EliteDesk 705 G3 - Win 10 Pro - AMD Ryzen 5 Pro 1500 - 64GB (4x16GB) 2133MHz DDR4 - Fox 77.0.1/TB 68.9/Edge 83.0
Laptop: HP ZBook 17 G4 - Win 10 Pro for Workstations - Intel Xeon E3-1535M - 64GB (4x16GB) 2400MHz DDR4 - Fox 77.0.1/TB 68.9/Edge 83.0
therube

Post by therube »

opening the product page for the wireless antenna I use
URL?
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
MdniteEagl

Post by MdniteEagl »

therube wrote:
opening the product page for the wireless antenna I use
URL?
http://www.netis-systems.com/Suppory/de ... de/96.html
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

I've been reading all the forums and it looks like 57 has a lot of bugs, aside from the WebExtensions issue. Is that true?
2 Desktops--Win 7 Ult.SP1 x64/6GB RAM /Firefox 52.9ESR/Waterfox64 2022.11/Thunderbird 52.9ESR/BitWarden PW Manager/Verizon FIOS wired network
efox99

Post by efox99 »

LoveMyFoxy wrote:I've been reading all the forums and it looks like 57 has a lot of bugs, aside from the WebExtensions issue. Is that true?
Lots of bugs? That is false. I haven't gotten a crash or an error since I upgraded to 57. The browser runs very smooth and fast. Also down the line Mozilla will be handing out more API's to developers to strengthen and better their webextensions.
flaneurb

Post by flaneurb »

LoveMyFoxy wrote:I've been reading all the forums and it looks like 57 has a lot of bugs, aside from the WebExtensions issue. Is that true?
How difficult is it for you to check for yourself? Use a virtual machine or at least Sandboxie. There are portable apps as well. But you know that.

I've had no problems with v57. And it does appear snappier than v56. As far as bugs, any complex program is likely to have bugs. The question is: do the bugs affect you on your system with your usage pattern.

I really wonder about "I've been reading all the forums ...". So have I. Clearly, we conclude differently :)
therube

Post by therube »

Very simple looking (to me) page.
Can't fathom how loading that eats up 857 MB of RAM?
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript