Consensus on 57?

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
Grumpus

Re: Consensus on 57?

Post by Grumpus »

Browser only with 6 processes as default on older Ubuntu and newer Mint works fine.
Does seem quite a bit faster on 64 bit systems with multi process established. 32GB ram helps.
Less than a blink with some page loads.
A few css adjustments made it a little more friendly but to be fair the only difference is loss of friendly extensions.
Definitely do not care for the default extensions, Pocket, Follow-on-Search, Shield, Screeshot, etc.
Posted with 56 but 57 on two other systems.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
GeraldB

Post by GeraldB »

The performance is fine and I've been able to replace my extensions with new ones or css modifications. That said, I've enjoyed using themes and customizing the interface since version 0.7. I'll miss that so for me 57 is a step backward to being just another browser.
MdniteEagl

Post by MdniteEagl »

Experienced first RAM "crash" with Fox57. Had Facebook and one other page open. Everything chugging along nicely. Then FB lost its ability to click... it would scroll, but links no longer responded (and no longer presented the "finger" pointer when over a link, just the standard arrow). Refresh had no effect. The other page was still operating normally. Checked Task Manager and Fox was using a whopping 4GB of RAM at that moment. Did an "End Task" at Task Manager and relaunched Fox. Previous pages reopened... or so I thought. FB came back, but the other view had gone back a good 20 pages in History to something I had looked at earlier in the afternoon.

This is what I had been experiencing with SM 2.46 and Fox 52ESR earlier this year that made me finally bail to Chrome 3 months ago. I'll still give Fox tomorrow and Friday, but to experience a RAM issue just 3 days into a completely fresh, clean install does not look promising.
Tower: HP EliteDesk 705 G3 - Win 10 Pro - AMD Ryzen 5 Pro 1500 - 64GB (4x16GB) 2133MHz DDR4 - Fox 77.0.1/TB 68.9/Edge 83.0
Laptop: HP ZBook 17 G4 - Win 10 Pro for Workstations - Intel Xeon E3-1535M - 64GB (4x16GB) 2400MHz DDR4 - Fox 77.0.1/TB 68.9/Edge 83.0