Tabs

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
BillyDick

Tabs

Post by BillyDick »

I may be mistaken, but I'll bet that Tab Mix Plus is THE most installed extension in the Firefox Add-On library!
If not, it's a close second!
Just based on the traffic to the TMP forum, the loss of this extension to the latest 57 release is catastrophic!
It is also questionable if the TMP author can produce a product that is similar to the current TMP!
So, with all that in mind, instead of letting TMP die, why can't the folks at Firefox either ask the community which TMP features they like the best and add those features to the existing Tab options, or, what Firefox should have done to begin with, collaborate with TMP to insure the product works with the latest release.
Based on what I've read at the many forums relating to TMP and Firefox, a lot of folks are so p....d that TMP is not supported by release 57, they are seriously thinking of abandoning Firefox for another browser!
JMO!!
therube

Re: Tabs

Post by therube »

Mozilla has been quite clear on that topic.
(Did you see those tears - fake!)
:-)
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

BillyDick wrote: Based on what I've read at the many forums relating to TMP and Firefox, a lot of folks are so p....d that TMP is not supported by release 57, they are seriously thinking of abandoning Firefox for another browser!
Another browser that also doesn't support TMP ? ..That makes sense.
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
John Liebson

Post by John Liebson »

BillyDick wrote:I may be mistaken, but I'll bet that Tab Mix Plus is THE most installed extension in the Firefox Add-On library!
If not, it's a close second!
Just based on the traffic to the TMP forum, the loss of this extension to the latest 57 release is catastrophic!
It is also questionable if the TMP author can produce a product that is similar to the current TMP!
So, with all that in mind, instead of letting TMP die, why can't the folks at Firefox either ask the community which TMP features they like the best and add those features to the existing Tab options, or, what Firefox should have done to begin with, collaborate with TMP to insure the product works with the latest release.
Based on what I've read at the many forums relating to TMP and Firefox, a lot of folks are so p....d that TMP is not supported by release 57, they are seriously thinking of abandoning Firefox for another browser!
JMO!!
Piffle! Take some time to go to the TMP support forum, and look especially in the News section for actual information, rather than what you read elsewhere on-line, as to what is happening with the eventual port of as much as possible of TMP to a WebExtension-compatible format.

http://tabmixplus.org/forum/
therube

Post by therube »

"eventual", "as much as possible"

There were some here, who some time back, were optimistic on "eventualities".
I think reality has begun to set in.

While as much as possible, I'm sure will be appreciated, that does not detract from the fact that that "much that was possible" is often a far cry from what was. So extension xys, from before, may have the same name, xyz, but it may also end up being nowhere near what it was (before 57).

I suspect "little issues" like this are what is keeping NoScript from being put out.
(Guess I ought to see if there's any word yet... Nope.)
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

therube wrote:I suspect "little issues" like this are what is keeping NoScript from being put out.
I shouldn't laugh, but it is kind of ironic that when the idea of WebExtensions was first being pushed that they were using George as the Extension Dev pin-up boy for it, like the guy looking out fearlessly into the brave new future on a Soviet era poster!....and I recall, George playing along with all that.

Now, George can't get his extension out.

I don't want to rub salt in the wound, but there are actually quite a few JavaScript control WebExtensions now out there for 57 (I know, because I'm using one)
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
therube

Post by therube »

Giorgio.
I guess he really had no choice.
Either promote the party line or abandon the extension.
I'm sure he's not happy with the changes he's been forced into.
I'm sure he's had (is having) plenty of heated "discussions" with FF developers, trying to get code implemented so that he'd have a viable extension.
Heh, he has had enough trouble just keeping up with the ongoing removals from FF through 56, much less then needing to convert to [rewrite for] (the all high & mighty) "webextensions".
there are actually quite a few JavaScript control WebExtensions now out there for 57
Yes Script 2, I think it was that I saw, but that was basically a javascript.enabled;true toggle.
u... u something (not uBlock), uMatrix, that would take plenty of study on my part. My quick look said, too confusing.
Kevin McFarlane

Post by Kevin McFarlane »

BillyDick wrote:I may be mistaken, but I'll bet that Tab Mix Plus is THE most installed extension in the Firefox Add-On library! If not, it's a close second!
It has traditionally been about the first I've installed, although I only use a tiny bit of it. However, that tiny bit is of high value to me. Nevertheless I'm sticking with 57 anyway as I like to force myself to adapt to the new as far as possible.
It's not catastrophic for me but it is irritating. But I've also known for a long time that it wouldn't be available at release and then maybe in less functional form later on.
Well, I guess we can always ask Mozilla to add the desired features to the extent that they're able to.
on what I've read at the many forums relating to TMP and Firefox, a lot of folks are so p....d that TMP is not supported by release 57, they are seriously thinking of abandoning Firefox for another browser!
JMO!!
There's always Waterfox or Pale Moon. I gather they have no intention of abandoning legacy add-ons. But apparently not everything will run on them.

For me it's worth having a variety of browsers anyway. Although Firefox is my No. 1 I still find that no browser is better than all others in every respect. So, depending on the task in hand, I occasionally switch.
spilparc

Post by spilparc »

I don't use many add-ons/extensions, but TabMixPlus was the one I couldn't live without. I sure hope they're able to resurrect it in the not too distant future.
GHM113

Post by GHM113 »

Unfortunately, WebExtensions are simply not good enough for addons like Tab Mix Plus. It will be possible to implement multirow tab bar, scrolling tabs with mouse wheel, close button on hover, different styles for unread tabs, etc. However, WebExtensions don't allow to control focus when opening/closing tabs so that part of TMP functionality won't work properly, unfortunately.

What TMP functionality do you need?
Sorry for my poor English.
Kevin McFarlane

Post by Kevin McFarlane »

GHM113 wrote: What TMP functionality do you need?
For me, it's this...

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &t=3035317
therube

Post by therube »

(
"much that was possible" is often a far cry from what was. So extension xys, from before, may have the same name, xyz, but it may also end up being nowhere near what it was (before 57).
And that can [once again] be put into actual context, because NoScript now fits the bill [too. Too, as in there are plenty of extensions out there that, well].
)
James

Post by James »