TV ads?

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
Noah Werka

TV ads?

Post by Noah Werka »

Just saw an ad for Firefox on The Idiot Box. I don't ever remember seeing an ad on TV for a browser of any kind? What's up with that?

Noah W
the-edmeister

Re: TV ads?

Post by the-edmeister »

I have seen mention of TV ads for Quantum Firefox 57 a few times in the last 2 or 3 days both here and at SUMO, but never before that I think it was on a Fox network station.

I wonder if the air time was a contribution to Mozilla and the ad was created as a donation, too.

I sure as hell hope Mozilla didn't use any Firefox user donations to Mozilla to pay for those TV ads.

A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
Omega X

Post by Omega X »

Mozilla makes Millions a year from search deals. I doubt they have to use donations.
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

Omega X wrote:Mozilla makes Millions a year from search deals. I doubt they have to use donations.
And the search deals are supposed to fund further development, support additional paid help, and for funding new projects beyond Firefox, rather than be spent on advertising.

A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
Omega X

Post by Omega X »

the-edmeister wrote:
Omega X wrote:Mozilla makes Millions a year from search deals. I doubt they have to use donations.
And the search deals are supposed to fund further development, support additional paid help, and for funding new projects beyond Firefox, rather than be spent on advertising.

They aren't exactly advertising during the Super Bowl and all those things are already funded.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Omega X wrote:Mozilla makes Millions a year from search deals.
$375 million a year from Yahoo alone. Thanks to the botched deal by the ex-Yahoo CEO, it is also not performance or user related.

I reckon that's why Mozilla doesn't give a damn if Firefox is any good or what users think of it, Firefox only has to exist with 1 single user for that revenue to flow in each year.

Bizarrely, under the terms of the same deal, when Yahoo was sold off if Mozilla didn't like the look of the new buyers then they could legally, they didn't, have changed default search engines and still have demanded that revenue each year from whoever bought Yahoo.

I don't think people realise just how incompetent many CEOs of major companies actually are.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Cheekeh Munkeh

Post by Cheekeh Munkeh »

Noah Werka wrote:Just saw an ad for Firefox on The Idiot Box. I don't ever remember seeing an ad on TV for a browser of any kind? What's up with that?
Google has run ads for Chrome in the past, of the "feel good" see-what-it-can-do-for-you variety. Mozilla's ad is based on speed comparisons, and invites all sorts of holes to be poked into it.
Frank Lion wrote:I don't think people realise just how incompetent many CEOs of major companies actually are.
Incompetent? Sure. But not stupid. Mayer and others have laughed all the way to the bank on their way out.

The stupid ones are the boards that hire the demonstrated failures.

The "falling upward" club is an exclusive one, though.
therube

Post by therube »

The "falling upward" club is an exclusive one, though.
LOL.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

But there's always free advertising...:)
(Fire-John Fox..the Bear's beleaguered coach)
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

..and Mozilla chief marketing officer Jascha Kaykas-Wolff ..responds ...
To release Firefox Quantum, our fastest browser ever, we had to bear down and replace many out-of-date and under-performing components. While it was at times difficult, we managed to soldier on, put more weight on our big shoulders, and as a result shipped an incredible product that sparked a huge increase in interest and downloads.
http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2017/11/27/ ... -security/
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
therube

Post by therube »

Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Kevin McFarlane

Post by Kevin McFarlane »

Noah Werka wrote:Just saw an ad for Firefox on The Idiot Box. I don't ever remember seeing an ad on TV for a browser of any kind? What's up with that?

Noah W
MS and Google have advertised before, I'm pretty sure.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Frank Lion wrote:Bizarrely, under the terms of the same deal, when Yahoo was sold off if Mozilla didn't like the look of the new buyers then they could legally, they didn't, have changed default search engines...
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14780147

Seems now that they did - https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... earch-deal
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Albert71292

Post by Albert71292 »

Frank Lion wrote:
Frank Lion wrote:Bizarrely, under the terms of the same deal, when Yahoo was sold off if Mozilla didn't like the look of the new buyers then they could legally, they didn't, have changed default search engines...
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14780147

Seems now that they did - https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... earch-deal

Then there's this... https://www.recode.net/2017/12/5/167398 ... earch-deal