MozillaZine

Firefox 57 or Quantum, is it just a phase?

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
taylor1277

Post Posted December 1st, 2017, 8:29 pm

After working within Firefox the last week, sure I see more speed, faster page downloads. But if you take notice to those pages also, you will see that there are drop down menus that don't work. Page overlapping. And bookmarks doesn't work at all. Its greyed out, you can't open more than one bookmark at a time. On Chrome I can go into a folder, hold the cntrl+shift button and then push the down arrow and highlight as many bookmarks (websites) that I want to open and then right click and open 2,4,6,100,200,300 however many I wanted. I am just thinking this is a phase. I have been a user of Chrome for many years, always coming to Firefox when they say they have done something new and better, only to be disappointed. So I have been watching the numbers of downloads of Firefox and again it doesn't seem to be a large scale of people that are downloading it. Should I, or Do most people keep Google Chrome and eventually go back to it?

taylor1277

Post Posted December 1st, 2017, 8:33 pm

And you can't even alter a bookmark when you find one you want to keep. I mean come on that is so old school and you can't change a bookmark on the initial drop down screen. you have to go into properties and change the bookmark. now that is really sad

malliz
Folder@Home

Post Posted December 2nd, 2017, 1:06 am

taylor1277 wrote:And you can't even alter a bookmark when you find one you want to keep.

Yes you can. Maybe before going full Chrome fanboy actually learn something about the Firefox UI
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"

smsmith

Post Posted December 2nd, 2017, 7:44 am

malliz wrote:
taylor1277 wrote:And you can't even alter a bookmark when you find one you want to keep.

Yes you can. Maybe before going full Chrome fanboy actually learn something about the Firefox UI

At first I thought the same thing, malliz, but then I just clicked the bookmark button and was shocked to discover that there's no way to edit the bookmark URL, just the bookmark title and storage location. So if that's what Taylor is driving at, I'm inclined to agree, sadly. Did you used to be able to edit the URL when creating the bookmark?
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.

malliz
Folder@Home

Post Posted December 2nd, 2017, 1:53 pm

Oops my bad :oops: blame late night dyslexia. Don't know if you have ever been able too never needed to and not too sure why you would want to :-k
You can in the bookmarks manager and that is where I usually operate
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"

taylor1277

Post Posted December 3rd, 2017, 6:51 pm

I wouldn't want to change the URL. I want to change the bookmark title to what I want it to be. I use different alt functions in front of my bookmarks. I also use alt functions to go through my bookmarks. Like example → alt 26. I would put this in front of a bookmark and then I go through them to see if it became 404 or some other kind of error over the years. I have ver 200,000 bookmarks. I keep websites, tutorials, shopping, and oh my gf also has her bookmarks within mine, so that is also why we have that many. We also have recipes over 5,000 included in that 200,000. and well many other things. the other thing within bookmarks, I used to open 10 -12 to go through by highlighting the first and then holding down the cntrl+shift key and then pressing down in Chrome, right click and open all 12. go through them and then fix or dump them, trust me. it sounds like it takes forever to go through that many but it doesn't when you do it the way I do. But you can't do it in Firefox. crap

Sugoi

Post Posted December 3rd, 2017, 7:20 pm

smsmith wrote:Did you used to be able to edit the URL when creating the bookmark?

When creating bookmarks in the "Organize bookmarks" window (my preferred method) it does work fine.

Return to Firefox General